Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer vacation rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:42 pm
Burlywood Why are you so mad? What is eating at you? Why are you in such attack mode?

ivfhelp

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
You should’ve thought of that before you had them. Now that they’re here, learn to love being with them, and arranging for alternate plans when you’re unavailable so you don’t come off sounding like they’re a burden —which I’m sure they picked up on those feelings.

Oh my goodness. I have suffered from years of pif and now sif. I have turned over my life, spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on ivf (many of which have failed). I have pursued every option, every doctor, have traveled for treatment. My dc knows how much I love him or her (would rather not say which for fear of identification) I work full time from home so I can spend more time with my child. But I work full time. What do you think is paying for my infertility treatment? And our food, clothing, needs, etc. There are only so many hours in a day and I've gone without sleep for many years to do this. I need some camp. My dc loves playing with me, but is older and is somewhat bored only playing with me for hours on end. I understand you may be in pain and I have been there, but this comment is way over the top.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:54 pm
I agree with burlywood.
And seriously orchid? You don't know what's eating her? You have no idea what would make someone post this? No idea of the pain she must be in. May you always be so clueless.....

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:54 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
In Williamsburg (Brooklyn). One summer camp advertised 9 weeks (instead of the typical 8) of Daycamp last year as a way to get campers. It worked, they were overbooked even though they were slightly more expensive.

This year atleast 3 other camps adopted the idea. This is the way to make changes. All it takes for one Daycamp to make a smart business decision

Yes my daughters Daycamp is one of them that is doing 9 weeks of camp.
I know the head counselor mom very well and when I spoke to her about it she said she was actually very upset about it. The head counselor is also going to be a first year teacher and she will hardly have time in between Daycamp and school to go shopping for clothes or to prepare .
I on the other hand is thrilled with the 9 weeks and so is my daughter. I hope it won’t b too much though

forgetit

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:02 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Yes my daughters Daycamp is one of them that is doing 9 weeks of camp.
I know the head counselor mom very well and when I spoke to her about it she said she was actually very upset about it. The head counselor is also going to be a first year teacher and she will hardly have time in between Daycamp and school to go shopping for clothes or to prepare .
I on the other hand is thrilled with the 9 weeks and so is my daughter. I hope it won’t b too much though

Seriously? I think its a wonderful opportunity to be welcomed to the real world. You work hard, with Hashem's help, you make money. You are careful not to exert yourself, the money doesn't come flying in. Let her give up the job if she doesn't have the stamina. I'm sure others will be thrilled to take it.

forgetit

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:10 pm
For a partial practical solution: My kids are old enough to be home on their own now (though I do have a mighty nice cleanup time when I get home after work to all of their 'stuff'), but they're still young enough to complain that they're bored. I've been ordering little stuff fun and crafts stuff every other day on ali. So, something shows up every other day or so when there's no school and its exciting for them to look out for, and to enjoy. I also let them get up late, so by the time they get up, dress, daven, eat, call me to tell me they're bored, etc. I'm almost home:)

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Feel free to kvetch along with me...

School ends June 19/20
Day camp starts July 1
Day camp ends Aug 22
School starts after labor day, so probably around September 3

You following me?
There are approximately 11 days each before and after day camp... We are paying an arm and a leg for tuition and day camp. School should end closer to the end of June and day camp should end closer to the end of August. Don't start telling me people need to go to the country bla bla bla. The world should not revolve around the country.

Thanks for listening.

This is only true if you look at school and day camp as babysitting services. If you're unable to spend 22 days per summer with your child (for the less than 17 summers of his/her life that they actually want to spend with you) then maybe it's time to re-arrange your work schedule.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:14 pm
forgetit wrote:
Seriously? I think its a wonderful opportunity to be welcomed to the real world. You work hard, with Hashem's help, you make money. You are careful not to exert yourself, the money doesn't come flying in. Let her give up the job if she doesn't have the stamina. I'm sure others will be thrilled to take it.

It's actually remarkably hard finding people willing to work the entire summer for the pitance that camp pays, especially if it will make it harder for them to have a full time job during the year.

ivfhelp

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I agree with burlywood.
And seriously orchid? You don't know what's eating her? You have no idea what would make someone post this? No idea of the pain she must be in. May you always be so clueless.....

I totally get what made her say this. I've been there. I still recognize that its probably not the healthiest thing for people with if to be commenting on the overwhelmed with kids thread. Every particular situation has it's open challenges. Am I jealous of those with large families? You got to believe it. But I recognize that they have their own challenges. That's why I don't comment on the bc, overwhelmed with kids type threads. I don't relate to their challenges and I don't think I would say anything that helpful.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:21 pm
So? Once she's posted, be kind.
Or is it more important to be right & prove your point? In the long run. Is it worth it to be snide and cause someone more pain than she already obviously is in

forgetit

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:23 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
This is only true if you look at school and day camp as babysitting services. If you're unable to spend 22 days per summer with your child (for the less than 17 summers of his/her life that they actually want to spend with you) then maybe it's time to re-arrange your work schedule.

Nopes, she spends Fri, Shabbos, Sun + after camp hours with her kids. That's plenty time. Most kids don't WANT this unstructured time inbetween. 2-3 days is nice, but not 11.

BTW, I pay tuition for 10 full months. I do not get full service for 10 months.
Of those, we have plenty of Yomim Tovim, fast days, mid winter, Chanuka, Sundays, and half day Fridays off PLUS a week off before Pesach. Don't ask me why.
I actually don't mind all of it, because my kids are old enough for me to leave alone when I go to work, and when they have school I need to nudge them a bit to get up on time and do homework when they get home, so maybe this is easier for me, but I remember when they were young and childcare was really tough.

forgetit

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
It's actually remarkably hard finding people willing to work the entire summer for the pitance that camp pays, especially if it will make it harder for them to have a full time job during the year.

No. Not headcounselors. Its a very indemand type of job.
I'm not from Williamsburg, but I think its safe to say that most girls there don't go to sem so they really have a pool to choose from.

ivfhelp

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:33 pm
So? Once she's posted, be kind.
Or is it more important to be right & prove your point? In the long run. Is it worth it to be snide and cause someone more pain than she already obviously is in

Because people with if are not the only ones that feel pain and I believe many of her comments hurt others as well. I hope that you and burgendy(? can't see her post right now) need day care very soon. May hashem send everyone yeshuas bkarov

sub

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:57 pm
ivfhelp wrote:
I totally get what made her say this. I've been there. I still recognize that its probably not the healthiest thing for people with if to be commenting on the overwhelmed with kids thread. Every particular situation has it's open challenges. Am I jealous of those with large families? You got to believe it. But I recognize that they have their own challenges. That's why I don't comment on the bc, overwhelmed with kids type threads. I don't relate to their challenges and I don't think I would say anything that helpful.

You sound like a wonderful woman. You see and understand all sides. My hat off to you and may you and all the women here be gebentched with all that’s good.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:00 pm
I agree with burlywood.

Then why is she reading this? And I bless her that she should join the venting very soon.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:15 pm
I don't think the problem is the schools. The problem is that we need two parents working to support a family. I don't know how ppl do it. I chose to keep my kids home this summer in part due to the costs. It's cheaper for me to work less and pay less. I work betty pvery very part time (I'm chinuch).

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:17 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Not my sons school. They start after Labor Day, but they end the same time as the other Jewish schools.

There’s no summer session? Is it a public school, special ed class?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:17 pm
I agree with burlywood.

You’re right, No I cannot fathom or imagine it, however that does not negate other women’s problems and situations.
And does she understand a household with boys who take apart your house? Children who need structure and cannot be left home alone. And you cant take off any more days because you used them for holidays? And you have to work to pay for the therapy and extras?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:28 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
There’s no summer session? Is it a public school, special ed class?

No summer session, private special ed school.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:29 pm
Rationalize all you want. Just recognize you would never in a million years trade places with her. Orchid your response about her not understanding a houseful of boys just continues to demonstrate your lack of empathy.
Probably for her mental health she shouldn't be reading these threads. But guess what? When you have an empty life with nothing to fill it, you are desperate for something to distract you. So she comes on this site. So she reads these threads. You can't find it in your heart to fargin her pain?
Every minute of every day, she is suffering. You have no idea how difficult it is for her to get through the day. Think about that before you respond. The best response would be to say nothing. You can respond to other posters and give ideas or continue to vent without singling her out.
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics