Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:26 pm
Calvin.

We don't know the Hebrew name, and no way to find it.

I don't even know what it means, and the closest I can come up with is Calev (not so used in our community) or Kalman.

Anyone have other ideas? Thanks.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:27 pm
According to a quick Google search. The name Calvin send to mean bald or hairless

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:29 pm
Korach, technically, because it means bald.
I would probably use Elisha because he was bald.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:32 pm
I would give a hebrew name and give that as the english one...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:33 pm
Go with kalman.

iyar

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Calvin.

We don't know the Hebrew name, and no way to find it.

I don't even know what it means, and the closest I can come up with is Calev (not so used in our community) or Kalman.

Anyone have other ideas? Thanks.

Sad but possibly the person didn’t have a Hebrew name at all.
Or he could have had a Hebrew name that didn’t sound similar. Maybe his name was Abraham or Yaakov or Moshe.
Of course ask your rabbi before you take my advice, but I’d say pick a name you find beautiful or meaningful and have in mind that your relative Calvin’s neshama should have an Aliya from the zechus of this baby, his descendant, being raised to observe Torah & Mitzvos.

agreer

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:39 pm
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE do not name him after being bald just because the name Calvin means bald!!! Please don't.

Give a nice Yiddishe name, call him "Cal" or "Calvin" on his legal papers or as a nickname, but please don't name him Korach.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:46 pm
Please don't name him after being bald.

If u know a nice midda or mitzva this person did, name after that. Like if he did hachmasas orchim, name him Avraham. If he gave tzedaka, name him Nadav. If he was a matchmaker, name him Eliezer. If he honored his parents, name him after one of the tannaim that did so. (maybe Yochanan?)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:20 pm
agreer wrote:
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE do not name him after being bald just because the name Calvin means bald!!! Please don't.

Give a nice Yiddishe name, call him "Cal" or "Calvin" on his legal papers or as a nickname, but please don't name him Korach.

Generally people gave a Hebrew name and then an English name that sounded similar. I'm inclined to say go with Kalman. Yeah, stay away from Elisha, Korach, etc. (Though I wouldn't compare Elisha and Korach.) I can almost guarantee that when his parents named him they weren't thinking about the meaning of Calvin, they liked the name and thought it would help him get ahead in life.

And/or someone who exemplified a middah he excelled in. Or if there were any rabbanim he was known to appreciate, or perhaps descended from, add that name on too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:41 pm
OP here. Thanks for the ideas! So I wouldn't name him Calvin at all, even on legal papers, because we don't do English names. I was thinking "Kalman, because it sounds like Calvin" (anyone know what Kalman means?) And no, I definitely would not use Korach! Elisha is not bad but "Elisha, because it means bald, just like Calvin means bald!" would also come across as kind of silly, and as that branch of the family wasn't frum at all they wouldn't understand. But I was also thinking of Elisha because he fed people, which was a thing my relative Calvin was always doing. But I suppose Avraham would work just as well for that.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:43 pm
Kalman send to come from Greek for lovely/beautiful

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. Thanks for the ideas! So I wouldn't name him Calvin at all, even on legal papers, because we don't do English names. I was thinking "Kalman, because it sounds like Calvin" (anyone know what Kalman means?) And no, I definitely would not use Korach! Elisha is not bad but "Elisha, because it means bald, just like Calvin means bald!" would also come across as kind of silly, and as that branch of the family wasn't frum at all they wouldn't understand. But I was also thinking of Elisha because he fed people, which was a thing my relative Calvin was always doing. But I suppose Avraham would work just as well for that.

Nice!

ROFL

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:10 pm
Elisha is a beautiful name. Your son should be proud to be named for one of the neivim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names