Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What do I do with old textbooks

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:55 pm
What can I do with all my college textbooks? They are a few years old...

Bruria

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:57 pm
You can try to resell them online.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:58 pm
Maybe a second hand or college library would buy it?

You could also try selling on second hand college website or Facebook.

Especially, for books that won't be a big deal if it's a little out of date... Like math doesn't change that much.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:00 pm
I am willing to give them away, I just want them out but I would feel bad to put them in the garbage

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:06 pm
1. Put in an LFL if there’s one near you.
2. Tear off cover if hard bound, rip into several sections and put in paper recycling bin.
3. Give to a super-nerd who reads textbooks for fun.
4. Cut pages into strips, soak in papier mache and make masks, bowls, boxes, figurines or other useful/decorative items.
5. Cut pages into strips, roll strips into tiny cylinders. Coat with glue, and use as beads for various bead craft projects.
6. Cut into strips and compost.
7. If thick, cut out most of the center of most of the pages, leaving a one-inch frame all around and the first and last twenty or thirty sheets intact. Glue the cut frames together and to the last full sheets. Use the resulting box as a container for jewelry or other treasures.

Seriously. Nobody wants outdated textbooks. Kudos to you for getting rid of them.

behappy2

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:08 pm
Which subjects? Maybe someone here would want it (maybe me)

karat

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:14 pm
Check eBay to see if they have any significant value.
Or put up for sale flyers in your local college.

Last edited by karat on Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:38 pm
Honestly, unless you have crafty uses for them— like zaq suggested— I wouldn’t bother trying to do anything with them except recycle them. They have likely been replaced with new editions and have every little value. You can tear off the covers and put them in the recycling bin. I wouldn’t waste my time hanging up flyers at a local college... too much effort for probably too little return.

smileforamile

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:41 pm
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:59 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I sold mine back to Amazon or other textbook companies. I got whatever value I could out of them.

I also put an advertisement up in Touro for the ones that I couldn't sell back, and I gave them away to students who needed them. The professors in subjects other than science tend not to change their textbooks too much.

I sold back to amazon too. I didn’t bother looking around elsewhere to get a better price, I just wanted them gone, easily and not in the trash. Process was super simple and I got a little bit of amazon credit to boot.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:23 pm
Please I want them!!!!!!!!!

Love any and all books.

smileforamile

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:26 pm
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:38 pm
You can check to see if your textbooks are currently in demand - If so, is it worth it to you to attempt to sell on line.

You can donate to whatever thrift store you generally donate to.

You can toss in the paper recycle bin.

I went through a major purge of all kinds of books including textbooks and did all of the above depending on the book.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:00 pm
I can always tell when the semester is over--or when someone has purged an old person's apartment-- because textbooks appear in my local LFL like mushrooms after the rain. What amazes me is how quickly the books disappear, even if they are way outdated. Intro to college biology copyright 1960, anyone?

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:21 pm
I was going to recommend seeing if your local girls HS wants the for art projects. My daughter's studio art class did some amazing things with them.

(See Zaq's recommendations)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics