Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer vacation rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:59 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Then why is she reading this? And I bless her that she should join the venting very soon.

What a ridiculous blessing. I hope the mothers venting start to value their children as the gifts they are and stop kvetching about their babysitters not being available 24/7

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:00 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Where on earth did u ever get the idea schools are for babysitting your kids so you can work? They are only to educate. If u had to send your your kids to public school would u dare tell them 3:00 dismissal is too early because u need to work?

Are you familiar with public schools?

Most have after-school programs for relatively low cost that actually run until parents get home from work. They offer homework help and enrichment activities -- music, dance, theater, STEM.

There are often very interesting programs available for kids during breaks and summers, run by the school district or local institutions.

Its the height of hubris for Jewish schools to fail to recognize that kids need after-school and vacation care, and not to offer optional programming for them.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:01 pm
I love when clueless people think they’re smart and know what’s going on in someone else’s life. I am bh a mother of children and yes I live when they’re home and believe they have too much school!

Yup, everyone, this is where dan lkaf zchus takes you. This is poor burlywood, the one suffering from infertility!

I'm guessing that you're pro choice?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:01 pm

And does she understand a household with boys who take apart your house?

There u have it , everyone. Proves my point. She can’t handle her kids and wants the schools to do her job 24/7

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
You've GOT to be kidding. Wow, you are absolutely the most judgmental person I've ever met, on imamother or IRL.

Do you seriously believe I have to have trust funds for each of my kids before conceiving them?

Again, the schools want me to pay tuition. They also want to be able to take off whenever they want. How do they expect me to pay tuition without working? Or Do you have a trust fund from Daddy?

Seriously, love posts like this. As clueless as is possible for a person to be.

SCHOOLS ARE NOT BABYSITTERS! Talk about clueless

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:08 pm
SCHOOLS ARE NOT BABYSITTERS! Talk about clueless

Talk about clueless.

Again, I am asking you, do you work? How do you pay tuition? I'm assuming your husband make a a good salary enabling you to stay home. So instead of saying to yourself, I am do lucky that I have enough money to make choices, you throw mud on those of us who don't have the same financial freedom you have .

Talk about clueless.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:09 pm
Where on earth did u ever get the idea schools are for babysitting your kids so you can work? They are only to educate. If u had to send your your kids to public school would u dare tell them 3:00 dismissal is too early because u need to work?

My son goes to public school. These schools absolutely have after- school care and extracurricular programs to help working parents. Do you really think the entire working world ends at 2:45 to pick up these kids?

Camps begin the day school ends, with options for early drop off and late dismissal.

Public school also offers bussing, breakfast, lunch, conducts basic health checks, and offers social services to those in need. Some of these programs are enjoyed by many in New York, as I understand it.

I wish everyone would stop delineating public schools as “only to educate”, because that’s not true. They often take on much more than the education needs of a child, and they give options to those mothers that work - which are apparently far more common in the non-frum world, where privilege appears at a premium, going by this thread.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:19 pm
I feel like I have a unique viewpoint on this.

I am a WAHM with a flexible schedule (keep babies home until they're ready for preschool).
I've dealt with infertility (IVF included) and b"H have a small number of children (baby up to late elementary) and hope to have more!
My kids are the biggest blessing and I love them to bits, and they are also enormously challenging (ADHD in the older ones, highly active baby who doesn't sleep much).

I'm thrilled for my kids that they have time off in between school and camp, but they really do thrive on routine. We have a great time together when they're home, we do fun activities and take trips (overnights and day trips), we bake and do projects and garden and have playdates and all that good stuff. I know that I am blessed to be able to do it.

But when the first day of school or camp rolls around, I am thrilled then too!

I am somewhat of an introvert and my kids are nonstop chatterboxes in nonstop motion. It's exhausting. Obviously they are my responsibility and I don't complain, but it's good for all of us when they're in school or camp. The boys' and girls' schools don't coordinate so there is always someone home and needing entertainment for a month straight between camp and school, and it can get very challenging, especially with a baby at home (b"H).

I treasure the vacation days, but I honestly treasure them more when they're a little more spread out.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:38 pm
I work in a public school. Yes, there is before and after day care, but parents pay. It's not cheap! It's just more convenient for some than hiring a babysitter. And they follow the school calendar, so if there is no school or an early dismissal or late start due to snow or whatever, they are closed, too.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Talk about clueless.

Again, I am asking you, do you work? How do you pay tuition? I'm assuming your husband make a a good salary enabling you to stay home. So instead of saying to yourself, I am do lucky that I have enough money to make choices, you throw mud on those of us who don't have the same financial freedom you have .

Talk about clueless.

Burlywood, you didnt answer my question. Do you work? And if not, I presume your husband makes enough money to pay full tuition?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:24 pm
There u have it , everyone. Proves my point. She can’t handle her kids and wants the schools to do her job 24/7

I love when clueless people think they’re smart and know what’s going on in someone else’s life. I am bh a mother of children and yes I live when they’re home and believe they have too much school!
You are a hypocrite. And I think you are just stirring up a pot for your own entertainment.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:39 pm

So why don’t you just homeschool them and have them with you 24/7?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Are you familiar with public schools?

Most have after-school programs for relatively low cost that actually run until parents get home from work. They offer homework help and enrichment activities -- music, dance, theater, STEM.

There are often very interesting programs available for kids during breaks and summers, run by the school district or local institutions.

Its the height of hubris for Jewish schools to fail to recognize that kids need after-school and vacation care, and not to offer optional programming for them.

First of all, public schools have tons of funding that private schools don't have.
Everyone quotes the high tuition rates assuming schools have money not counting the huge majority of students who are on scholarship.
Second, most public schools have significantly shorter hours than Jewish schools therefore they have time in the early afternoon to make after school programs .

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:52 pm
Amother vermillion
You stuck up fiercely for burlywood. Can't Believe It

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:39 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I work in a public school. Yes, there is before and after day care, but parents pay. It's not cheap! It's just more convenient for some than hiring a babysitter. And they follow the school calendar, so if there is no school or an early dismissal or late start due to snow or whatever, they are closed, too.

THANK YOU!!

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:41 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Burlywood, you didnt answer my question. Do you work? And if not, I presume your husband makes enough money to pay full tuition?

That sounds like a very yenta-ish snooping question from someone who’s envious of others. How much does your husband make? How much do you make? What do you do? How much tuition do you pay? Why don’t you have alternative plans when your kids are off?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:42 pm
Amother vermillion
You stuck up fiercely for burlywood. Can't Believe It

It sounds like you’re the one in grade school.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:55 pm
That sounds like a very yenta-ish snooping question from someone who’s envious of others. How much does your husband make? How much do you make? What do you do? How much tuition do you pay? Why don’t you have alternative plans when your kids are off?

I got my answer.

So instead of being grateful to those who allow you to stay home with your children - whether it's your husband or the community (if you get a scholarship) - you turn around and belittle those who are not as lucky as you.

Shame on you!!!

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:00 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

Again, I have a child in public school and some in Jewish schools. Believe me, before and after day care IS CHEAP. And it's not just "more convenient than hiring a babysitter", it's far cheaper than hiring a babysitter. Jewish camps in my neck of the woods are unbelievably expensive, and extracurricular activities at public schools are at least half what Jewish camps charge.

And yes, if the school is closed for snow, then it's more likely that your workplace understands that more than, say, taking off work for four weeks in the summer while there are no camps and schools.

And it's easier for public school parents to stomach paying for these after schools and camps when their tuition is $0, as opposed to our $15,000 a kid.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics