Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Yet another vaccine question
1  2  Next

polka dots

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:13 am
So I bh fully vaccinate. My neighbor just told me that she is anti-vaccine. Her son is my sons close friend and he comes over all the time to play. He’s an adorable child and I would love to continue having him over. Is there any reason I need to worry about my baby that hasn’t gotten the mmr yet?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:17 am
polka dots wrote:
So I bh fully vaccinate. My neighbor just told me that she is anti-vaccine. Her son is my sons close friend and he comes over all the time to play. He’s an adorable child and I would love to continue having him over. Is there any reason I need to worry about my baby that hasn’t gotten the mmr yet?

Are you in an area with an outbreak of measles?

Has neighbor's son had measles yet?

Would neighbor send over son if he is coughing or sneezing?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:19 am
polka dots wrote:

Doctor Zeev who spoke at Atrium in Monsey at Pro vaccine event said that a healthy unvaxxed child doesn't need to be suspected of carrying diseases. Of his eyes are runny n itchy or any other early symptoms of disease then he needs to be home

polka dots

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:37 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Doctor Zeev who spoke at Atrium in Monsey at Pro vaccine event said that a healthy unvaxxed child doesn't need to be suspected of carrying diseases. Of his eyes are runny n itchy or any other early symptoms of disease then he needs to be home

Thank you!

polka dots

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:37 am
Yes I live in measles infested area. I don’t think my neighbor is the type to send her kid over if he was sick.

Sara111

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:08 am
No, you do not need to worry.
You should be more worried about kids who have been recently vaccinated with MMR because the MMR vaccine can shed (meaning "spread") for up to six weeks after it's administered. Many of the cases of measles are actually vaccine-induced. (In the Disneyland outbreak, 38% of the measles cases were a vaccine-strain.)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:22 am
Sara111 wrote:
You should be more worried about kids who have been recently vaccinated with MMR because the MMR vaccine can shed (meaning "spread") for up to six weeks after it's administered. Many of the cases of measles are actually vaccine-induced. (In the Disneyland outbreak, 38% of the measles cases were a vaccine-strain.)

This is true. According to the England's national health service, around 1 in 50 children who receive the MMR, will develop a mild case of mumps. It is far more dangerous to be around a child that recently received the MMR than around an unvaccinated healthy child.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:24 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This is true. According to the England's national health service, around 1 in 50 children who receive the MMR, will develop a mild case of mumps. It is far more dangerous to be around a child that recently received the MMR than around an unvaccinated healthy child.

This is nonsense. Even in the exceptionally rare cases that a child develops symptoms of the disease, it is not a contagious version.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:27 am
Personally I wouldn't have someone unvaccinated over if I had a child too young to get vaccines . He could be contagious before he feels sick.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:03 am
Sara111 wrote:

Oh Lord. Here we go again.

When you are in the shedding stage of MMR, you do not spread disease.

Vaccine strain of measles ( a VERY mild case of fever and rash) is not contagious.

I would just be open and honest with her. She's not stupid. She knows she doesn't vax and there is measles going on and that you have an infant. Just tell her that you would appreciate if she kept her child home at the first sign of any illness. Too many stories of people letting their kids run around with known measles.

ETA: rethinking this. I probably woudn't have the child over until my baby was vaccinated. I would vaccinate my infant at the earliest possible age (6 months - I personally vaccinated my infant then due to living in an area with an outbreak).

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:12 am
Sara111 wrote:

Can you link a valid source for that?

nchr

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:22 am
southernbubby wrote:
Can you link a valid source for that?

Of course she cannot because the MMR does not shed, which is why doctors recommend household contacts of individuals with suppressed immune systems get the vaccine. There are some studies showing that the rubella may shed but it is extremely rare. Measles does not shed. Also, the California outbreak was linked to the Phillipines. If the measles vaccine shed, we'd have thousands of cases annually.

nchr

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:26 am
I dont have an issue with unvaccinated children playing at my house because of measles since they would generally exhibit symptoms if I'll and our family is vaccinated. I have an infant, but try to use some common sense and dont want to stress people out or create an anxiety environment where my kids fear every germ or chv people. I dont take my infant out but the neighbors can play since they are feeling fine. There is a slight risk, but I also know that the neighbors parents would not intentionally expose their children. I'm frankly more concerned about incubating pertussis but since my infant is vaccinated BH it should be fine.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:30 am
ectomorph wrote:
This is nonsense. Even in the exceptionally rare cases that a child develops symptoms of the disease, it is not a contagious version.

Why would Sr. Jude's hospital tell visitors not to come with symptoms after an MMR then? We already went through this on a diff thread

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:33 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Personally I wouldn't have someone unvaccinated over if I had a child too young to get vaccines . He could be contagious before he feels sick.

That is not true in the measles scenario. You're confusing it with chicken pox. Ask any knowlddgabable health professional

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:38 am
I have asked and researched. People with measles can be contagious up to 4 days before symptoms start

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Why would Sr. Jude's hospital tell visitors not to come with symptoms after an MMR then? We already went through this on a diff thread

It says that only people who have received the MMR AND ALSO have a rash from it, should not come. Most people don’t get a rash from the vaccine.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:09 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect it has something to do with my question.

1 The oral polio vaccine hasn't been given in the united stated states since 2000.
2 The Smallpox vaccines is not give in the US at all.

Why are they warning about this, if it's not something that's given?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:21 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I have asked and researched. People with measles can be contagious up to 4 days before symptoms start

4 days before RASH. Child is sick during that time

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
4 days before RASH. Child is sick during that time

This is true, though I still wouldn't want the kid in my house. Is it not possible for the mom to have given tylenol or other fever reducing medicine and therefore the kid looks well?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics