Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Getting diagnosed as autistic
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:44 pm
Do you recommend dev ped or a neuropsych?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Would a diagnosis of PPD-NOS help him get services? It's a very generic label, usually given to kids who are to young for a specific diagnosis.

I don’t believe that’s a dx anymore. That’s my son’s dx from twenty years ago. Now he would just be ASD -NOS

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:54 pm
mha3484 wrote:

We did not start getting him real help until he was closer to 5 and I have a lot of regrets about waiting so long. I really didnt know better but I look back now wishing I had done things differently. If I had to redo it I would have looked into floortime therapy more. I was not impressed with what I was told about ABA. I would have also started with a Developmental pediatrician earlier.

Please don't give opinions about something you know little about. You were "told" about ABA and you decided you didn't like it? Okay.

As for me, I actually tried floortime, and while it was all happy and fun times, at the end of the day, my son gained little to no skills from this therapy, and it was a waste of time and money. Time that could have been better spent on ABA, which actually helped tremendously.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:57 pm
I know a lot about ABA from the perspective of the mom of an autistic child. I can't imagine how ABA wouldn't benefit any child. You assess which behaviors are unhelpful and guide the child step by step to better behaviors. I wish my non autistic kids could get ABA.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:03 pm
For this age I would say dev ped.

ABA covers a really wide range of techniques and approaches. Some of them are abusive. You will find autistic adults who are against ABA (some who are against only intensive 1:1 therapies, some who are against all behavioral therapies). It's hard to make a blanket judgment about ABA without knowing specifics. But some kids don't respond well to behaviorally based therapies. One of mine does very well with a very structured approach and responds to rewards; another one does not.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:55 am
Honestly I got very scared off from ABA this week when I spoke to some mothers of autistic kids. One mother has a much older child. I asked her if she did ABA and if she would recommend it. She said that she did do ABA, as that’s all she knew about then. But she would not recommend it now. She told me to look into sunrise, which I’m still looking into.

A know a different mom who had a child who was having difficulties. He’s older than my son and the school convinced her to send him to an ABA center this year. She is so upset she did it and regrets it immensely.

She told me that her son is so unhappy that she pulled him out of school 3 weeks early. He told her that he feels like a robot. She said he lost the spark in his eyes. And because he lost all control over things in school he became very agressive and is acting out in ways never used to before.

She even found out one day that they disciplined him by locking him into a room for hours. My SEIT told me today that locking into rooms is not allowed anymore. But obviously it happens anyway. Her son was old enough to come home and complain about it. My kid is much younger and maybe wouldn’t.

I’m sure it’s helpful sometimes. But I’m really scared to go ahead with t.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:11 am
Where are you located? Perhaps look into a school called Gesher in the five towns. It may be a good fit for your son and may not be too late to get him in

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:12 am
Your ds is getting a lot of services already, has he never been diagnosed with anything?

aricelli

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:42 am
imorethanamother wrote:
Please don't give opinions about something you know little about. You were "told" about ABA and you decided you didn't like it? Okay.

As for me, I actually tried floortime, and while it was all happy and fun times, at the end of the day, my son gained little to no skills from this therapy, and it was a waste of time and money. Time that could have been better spent on ABA, which actually helped tremendously.

While for my son (and myself) floortime is awesome. Everyone needs to find what works for them. Its ok to try what talks to you, give it a reasonable, limited amount of time and then reevaluate to see what the next step should be.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:47 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
fyi the CARS is not so in depth. my daughters autism diagnosis was missed twice with the CARS, and she got a dx with a more intensive workup. I would make an appointment with a top developmental dr today, the wait times are months long. Btw huberman is extremely difficult to get an appointment with (secretary was very unhelpful to me)

Which developmental pediatrician did you use? The school only told me about Dr Huberman and I don’t have anyone else to ask these things.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:01 am
aricelli wrote:
While for my son (and myself) floortime is awesome. Everyone needs to find what works for them. Its ok to try what talks to you, give it a reasonable, limited amount of time and then reevaluate to see what the next step should be.

But there is no data that floortime works. Why would you want to do something that has no data behind it?

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Honestly I got very scared off from ABA this week when I spoke to some mothers of autistic kids. One mother has a much older child. I asked her if she did ABA and if she would recommend it. She said that she did do ABA, as that’s all she knew about then. But she would not recommend it now. She told me to look into sunrise, which I’m still looking into.

A know a different mom who had a child who was having difficulties. He’s older than my son and the school convinced her to send him to an ABA center this year. She is so upset she did it and regrets it immensely.

She told me that her son is so unhappy that she pulled him out of school 3 weeks early. He told her that he feels like a robot. She said he lost the spark in his eyes. And because he lost all control over things in school he became very agressive and is acting out in ways never used to before.

She even found out one day that they disciplined him by locking him into a room for hours. My SEIT told me today that locking into rooms is not allowed anymore. But obviously it happens anyway. Her son was old enough to come home and complain about it. My kid is much younger and maybe wouldn’t.

Any school that locks a child in a room should be reported to the state ASAP.

I would visit schools to see what I liked. I did. I was extremely impressed with some of them - I'm assuming you're in the New York area. Anyone can PM me for names. I have a whole host of women who do ABA with their children, and we all believe ABA to work miracles. Myself included. I cannot tell you what a difference it has made in my life - I'm so grateful.

My child has never been aggressive, and ABA isn't about taking away control. At all. It's about breaking down elements of a skill into palatable smaller bites, and using stepping stones to attain a larger goal. It's amazing in toilet training. It helps a child learn to read. It teaches a child self-control.

I pulled my child out of a school that did NOT use ABA. What I would see is this: A child throwing a tantrum, or screaming when things didn't go their way. The teacher would stop the class and approach the child to see what's wrong. Or, she would send the child out of class on a walk, to "calm down". Both of these feed into the negative behavior. What ABA would do would be to find the antecedent to the tantrum/screaming through monitoring data. If the goal of the behavior is to leave the classroom, then to reduce the occurrence, ABA would deploy several strategies to reduce the behavior. Modelling, neutral face, social stories about getting what you want, etc. To an outsider, it would look like the teacher is letting a child scream and scream and not help him, but in a few sessions, the child learns that screaming is not a way to get what they want. The instructor takes data to determine if the negative behavior is decreasing. If it doesn't, they try a different approach until something works.

At the end of that school year (without ABA), the child in question screamed continually, and spent his days wandering the hallways. A snapshot of what an outsider would view as terrible would not have been as bad as that child's outcome for the year. I think about that child a lot these days.

OP, it sounds like your child at the very least is high functioning. I wouldn't put him in a special school, not without greater cause.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:31 am
imorethanamother wrote:
But there is no data that floortime works. Why would you want to do something that has no data behind it?

If it works for her, she can see that it works through direct observation.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:38 am
imorethanamother wrote:

Data is constantly changing- look I’m not here to argue and I know this is a hot topic- but I was told there was research behind it and that new jersey will soon be recognizing floortime by covering it, though of course I do not know that for sure! In addition, I was told there was research that there were adults who did ABA as children and were suffering from ptsd- for various reasons.
But I am not a professional-
The real reason I decided to try floortime was that my sons private OT, who worked with him closely and knows him well and is a supervisor at an ABA center did not recommend it for my son and thought floortime would be better suited to him. I did my own “research” by speaking to moms who went that route, speaking to a relative who is a floortime therapist and watching some sessions and I gave it a shot! Bh my son is gaining tremendously. I am keeping an open mind and would switch to ABA or other modality if needed. I really dont think theres only one answer.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:42 am
Theres a school that combines the two- floortime as play time and ABA for learning which is an interesting idea

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:16 am
I use sunrise book autistic logistics as a parenting book. Super helpful for my totally normal kid. I would also look into sunrise, it's a very common sense method

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The quality of ABA really depends on the provider. I was also very hesitant and held off on ABA for over a year and now I regret not starting earlier. My son LOVES ABA! He receives 15 hours a week in school and was begging to have his techs come to camp too (which they are!) I have seen that it's starting to make a difference and the I'm hearing raving reviews from the school where they see the changes. We do it in addition to OT and Social Skills Group. Good luck!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:34 am
A BCBA told me that ABA has to be done right and alot of people are NOT doing it right. Hence, the negative feedback. The bottom line is that you should listen to professionals who know your child and know ABA providers and have no agenda.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:50 am
Why is your son in kindergarten if he is only 4? Is he the youngest?
Maybe he is just not ready for kindergarten?
Also ,I would not listen to any teacher who thinks she can diagnose . I am a special ed teacher with a M.ed and that is one of the basics you are taught from day 1 that your job is to refer when you see red flags but not to even mention what you think it might be as that is not your speciality .

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:49 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Why is your son in kindergarten if he is only 4? Is he the youngest?
Maybe he is just not ready for kindergarten?
Also ,I would not listen to any teacher who thinks she can diagnose . I am a special ed teacher with a M.ed and that is one of the basics you are taught from day 1 that your job is to refer when you see red flags but not to even mention what you think it might be as that is not your speciality .

Kindergarten has a different meaning in NY frum schools. It's what pre-k is, and K is called pre-1-a.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics