Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do some groups allow kids to ride their bike on shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Never in my life have I seen a chain come off of a one-speed bike.

The chain of my son's ($35 one speed) bike came off last year. Wanna come fix it?

sky

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
The chain of my son's ($35 one speed) bike came off last year. Wanna come fix it?

When my boys rode little boys bikes their chains came off all the time. Normally it was caused by screws not being tight enough. Always happened at the worst times.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:29 pm
In my town, there are electric scooters for rent, and they're everywhere. I wonder, as the popularity grows, if rabbanim will become concerned about kids riding regular scooters on Shabbos, lest they get confused about the permissibility of riding electric ones at some point.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:39 pm
I live in Monsey. in my 40 plus years I have not seen a frum child (not including toddlers or young kids) on a bike. I've lived in chassidish and non chassidish old monsey.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:47 pm
We grew up being taught that it's not in the spirit of Shabbos. That's what I teach my kids too.
But I've seen kids riding in the Catskills and Monsey, so maybe it has to do with the openess and the bikes just lying there on the grass calling for riders. In other areas bikes are usually put away each night, so they might not be such a tease to the kids on Shabbos.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:50 pm
I live in Monsey. I allow my children 8 and younger ride scooters on Shabbos. I also allow bikes without a chain.
We actually asked a very well known Rav who told us that sooters are ok, bikes without a chain ok also. I allow bike with chain until they know the difference.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I live in Monsey. in my 40 plus years I have not seen a frum child (not including toddlers or young kids) on a bike. I've lived in chassidish and non chassidish old monsey.

I also live in Monsey in a chassidish area. Bike riding is common among the chassidim and others. DH asked our viznitz rebbe, and he let.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:08 pm
I am chabad. We live where there is no eruv. I asked the rav if the kids could use bikes on yom tov. Air filled tire bikes are a no. Tricycles, scooters,etc things that have hard tires and not air filled ones are perfectly fine. It has to do with the tires and the possibility of the tire needing air and filling it would be "repairing a broken item" which is not allowed on shabbos or yom tov. He said some permit it, and there is plenty of reason to allow for that. However I asked for a psak and he said to stick to just the things with hard wheels.

crust

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:00 pm
Yes if the bike isn't big enough to be considered a vehicle.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I also live in Monsey in a chassidish area. Bike riding is common among the chassidim and others. DH asked our viznitz rebbe, and he let.
your viznitz rebbe does not let as he forbids bikes in general. viznitz uses 3 wheeled bikes for that reason. why would you even ask your rebbe a question, that would be for your dayan. just pointing out that the response is unlikely to come from your rebbi.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:26 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
your viznitz rebbe fis not let as he forbids bikes in general. viznitz uses 2 wheeled bikes for that reason. why would you even ask your rebbe a question, that would be for your dayan. just pointing out that the response is unlikely to come from your rebbi.

Can someone translate please? What is "fis not let?" I can't make out what either what the poster means by "uses 2 wheeled bikes for that reason".

Asked the question because I never saw bike riding on Shabbos until I moved to Monsey. DS wanted to ride. DH asked.

I don't have a dayan.

Sheesh

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:46 pm
I grew up and still live in Elizabeth, NJ. I have never heard of, let along seen kids in this community riding bikes on Shabbos. Shooting hoops or playing ball in the yard- yes, bikes, no.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note