Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech Therapy burn out
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:14 pm
I always read the therapy article in the Family First and the woman who writes it is a speech therapist but seems to do a lot of what a language arts teacher does. Where I live a major dyslexia clinic is staffed and run by speech therapists. Maybe this the type of work you would find more interesting?

I know for my own kid when we wanted to get him help with his social skills we were told we can use a SLP or a talk therapist. If that is another interest of yours.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:24 pm
Mevater wrote:
Which careers are non-repetitive, exciting careers?

Anything artsy

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:30 pm
absent from your post is any indication that you tried/considered pediatric SLP

Mevater

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:39 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Anything artsy

More so requiring being better than the next guy, so living with the pressure of intense competition.

Are there artsy professions where people earn money, that arent crazy competitive?

Heres some high earning artsy careers, but theyre very competitive.

Decorators
Handpainting
Clothing Designer
Advertising/PR
Makeup
Sheitels

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:00 pm
I am an SLP and I had many reasons I disliked my old job. I left and am so much happier! Don't stay in a job you don't like. Either switch populations, specialties, fields, or something. You can't continue like this. It isn't fair to you or to the patients.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:32 pm
Hmmm... so many speech therapists out there who really don’t like their jobs.
No wonder why my son has been receiving speech therapy for 4 years and has made very little progress.
You have to like the field in order to be successful; not just the salary.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:38 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I am an SLP and I had many reasons I disliked my old job. I left and am so much happier! Don't stay in a job you don't like. Either switch populations, specialties, fields, or something. You can't continue like this. It isn't fair to you or to the patients.

What did you switch to, that you like?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:49 pm
Emerald - I actually love the field of SLP and am very well-suited to it. I just switched specialties/populations/companies. The company I worked for had some issues.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:05 am
When I first came back from seminary I taught navi for middle school and loved it. But after awhile I also found that a bit repetitive.

This is the piece that stands out for me.
Maybe you need variety. I’m a speech therapist and I love it. But I also like variety so I find the detective work part of things- finally getting to that elusive diagnosis- really exciting, and make sure assessments are a big part of my job.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im the anon from above. So I did my CF in a school and I did some clinical externship at an outpatient rehab facility for stroke patients/TBI etc. I don't really know any frum SLPs that work in the medical field though. I could do that instead of dysphagia and feeding. I like the idea of newborn feeding.... I dunno! I wish I could leave the job and be a teacher. Is it normal to be upset with career of choice? Do you ladies believe you need to love what you do?I just view it as a job...

Hi, OP.
No, you don't have to love what you do (that's why its called work!)...BUT

Please, on behalf of mothers whose little kids desperately need your services, whose kids will not succeed and mainstream without your hard work, either do a wholehearted, good job or leave the field regardless of your kollel husband's earning power.

(My daughter's life and future is dependent on the services she's getting now as a preschooler. We've had therapists who were basically pushing paper, cutting minutes off both ends of her sessions, unavailable to collaborate with others, and basically just there for the paycheck. And its hard on everyone to have to complain and make that switch. And if thats how someone is spending their day, they cant possibly feel happy and fulfilled.)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:18 am
Mevater wrote:
Which careers are non-repetitive, exciting careers?

I'm an office manager and I love my job. I work in a busy, interesting office, there are always different people coming in and different situations that come up. Parts of my job are repetitive, but every day is unpredictable and even when it gets stressful it's still interesting and enjoyable.

I don't think there is any job that is never repetitive, the important thing is to enjoy what you're doing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:31 am
I dont know how to reply to someone directly but someone asked me why I enjoyed teaching navi. I just found very spiritually connected. I enjoyed davening, teaching the gedolim stories, teaching the text and mefarshim. My neshama was involved.

As for the mothers who are saying to please get out of the field as to avoid damage to their children, just bc I do not like my job, does not mean I'm not good at is. I am very good at what I do, I just don't enjoy it. Thats what I find frustrating.

does anyone know any SLP's that deal with feeding in peds?

Mevater

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:33 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I'm an office manager and I love my job. I work in a busy, interesting office, there are always different people coming in and different situations that come up. Parts of my job are repetitive, but every day is unpredictable and even when it gets stressful it's still interesting and enjoyable.

I don't think there is any job that is never repetitive, the important thing is to enjoy what you're doing.

Chances are, what makes you enjoy your job is the way the bosses treat you, and the way the coworkers get along (or youre just a very flexible person and would like working anywhere).

Thats a Mazel thing.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:36 am
following

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:55 am
Mevater wrote:
Chances are, what makes you enjoy your job is the way the bosses treat you, and the way the coworkers get along (or youre just a very flexible person and would like working anywhere).

Thats a Mazel thing.

This! I'm not an SLP, I'm another therapist, but rather than burnt-out, I often feel disillusioned. Many times, I'm not sure I believe my field is really helping my clients in the setting where I work, and I feel like it's full of gray areas. But most of all, I just don't like my job. Sure, there are aspects that keep me there: benefts (not salary), smaller caseload (because of attending so many meetings), somewhat of a school schedule; but there are many more that make me want to leave: primarily - horrible supervisor, frustrated colleagues (because of the supervisor), non-Jewish atmosphere, very challenging population, poor salary, hours/distance, and I could just keep going.

The problem is that I don't know of an alternative that would better suit my wants, so I'm very reluctant to switch jobs. At my old job, I worked for a frum person, which had its pros and cons, but my favorite part was feeling as one of the "chevra" and making friends at work. In my current place, I'm the only frum person, and appropriately, feel very isolated. I remember at my old job, a part-time coworker, who also worked in public schools, said she loved being able to say "gutten chodesh" at work... I get that now.

All that being said, while I'm frustrated professionally, I really do try to throw myself all the way in and do best by my clients.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

does anyone know any SLP's that deal with feeding in peds?

Yeah I know someone in bk who does it and lives it.
She doesnt do dysphagia or work in a hospital setting, if that's what you're looking for.
She does EI and works with all the kids who are not eating properly.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:45 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
No wonder why my son has been receiving speech therapy for 4 years and has made very little progress.

I said I was burned out earlier but I'm not a speech therapist.
I disagree. Many people dislike the fields they are in and still do a good job and put their all in. Maybe you are lucky to love your field, but it's mazal.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:19 am
Another slp here who absolutely hates the profession. If you’re on Facebook, join Alternative Careers to SLPs. Lots of SLPs there that have left or looking to leave the profession.
I feel like I was lied to by my professors in college. The money is not at all what I thought it would be. I can’t seem to make more than 45k. And I don’t get any benefits. I also don’t believe in the evidence and validity all that much. I’m looking into other fields and can’t wait to say good riddance.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:27 am
You can take training in floortime and do more of a play therapy sort of session. I pay a lot for such a (priate) session.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:28 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

Quite common. Even with excellent therapists who are high energy and put a lot of creativity and thought into their sessions. That’s how the therapies are. They are very grey and results are dependent on many factors. Often it’s simply the child’s own maturation and growth that is the main factor in progress.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics