Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Teacher gift a must?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:22 pm
Money is really tight right now. I gave the teachers Chanukah and Purim gifts. Is end of the year gifts also a must? Like if I don't give, will I be the only one? I'm in Brooklyn

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:43 pm
Who gives at the end of the year a third gift? Most give a little thank you card with a small treat, just a card, or nothing.

Littlemiracles

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:45 pm
Totally not a must! A little chocolate with a thank you note is something very nice, but totally not required either. I used to teach and I cannot tell you about other schools but in that school only a small percent of parents sent something . And usually it was only a small treat with a note. Whatever you do or don't do is really ok

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Money is really tight right now. I gave the teachers Chanukah and Purim gifts. Is end of the year gifts also a must? Like if I don't give, will I be the only one? I'm in Brooklyn

Absolutely not a must. Coming from a teacher

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:57 pm
I am also a teacher. I would say about 1/4 of kids give end of year. It is less common than Chanukah/Purim time.

yerushamama

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:29 pm
My DH is a teacher, and while some parents give a gift, (always gratefully accepted and appreciated), what he likes best is the notes.

M0mmy

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:39 pm
I'm actually very relieved to read these responses. I just assumed it was the "type" or "expected" and am in the process of arranging something for the moros of one of my children, but I always get stressed out about these things - not wanting to insult anyone by giving something too small or not giving when everyone else is...

Purim time, we just gave shalach manos. I assumed that was sufficient...yes?

teachkids

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 3:31 am
A nice note, written by the kid if they're old enough, and maybe a bar of good chocolate if you want, is totally more than enough. It's really the notes we treasure

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:05 am
I give Chanuka and Purim and not end of year. But, I do give money Purim. Many do not give end of year. Brooklyn
I feel like it's good bye and good luck. Not like summer camp tips where it's accepted and expected.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:16 am
Thanks everyone for your replies. Phew, I was getting stressed out about the added expense that I simply cannot afford. A few neighbors were chatting about gifts were sending to the teachers and I was asked what I'm giving. I mumbled something about gift cards ... Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries