Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does hashem want different things from different communities
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:13 am
southernbubby wrote:
I learned somewhere that minhagim are very precious to Hashem. On my street there are representatives of several Chassidishe kehillas and on the adjoining block there are 3 shuls; one of which has a beautiful and impressive building. To me, this place is like Gan Eden, even with potholes, honking can drivers, and excess garbage because of so many beautiful and inspiring ways that Yidden keep Torah. I feel that Hashem is very happy here too, although I am just as certain that the Litvish shul a block away is among the variety that Hashem loves.
Look at all of the fruits, vegetables, flowers, animals, etc, that Hashem created which means that He likes variety and wants to bestow I on mankind. He also wants us to use what he has put on earth to serve Him and neutral things, such as sports, can, in some cases fit that category.

SB, you are an outsider looking in. The other post about feeling threatened saddens me, but no one is threatened by you.
But knowing your new community as I do, I appreciate your post.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:14 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
We are taught that davening can be compared to speaking to a king. Who would do that in clothing that is not considered "respectable"? I agree that what is considered respectful and respectable is different in different situations, but disregarding the norms of YOUR community is generally disrespectful. If you find those norms not to your liking, maybe look into finding a community more suited to you.

Can people easily make what I consider lateral moves within authentic Yiddishkeit, instead of feeling so disenfranchised that they throw out the baby with the bathwater?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:17 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I know a man who ran into shul for mincha dressed in his blue work uniform and was asked to leave. Suffice it to say, although he belonged to that chasidus, he never stepped foot in there again.

If someone wears shorts to work and finds himself near a chasidish shul mincha-time, is it better not to daven mincha, daven b'yechidis, or daven with minyan in shorts??? We're not talking about disrespecting minhagim. We're talking about what Hashem wants. A mincha in shorts vs. No mincha at all.

There was a story in Hamodia or Yated a few years ago about the fellow in EY who came to kabbalas Shabbos in painter's overalls, and the rav - a rebbe - hugged him.
Turned out that this fellow was trying to get a kiruv school off the ground, it had been touch and go. Then he was told that they could open Sunday but EVERYTHING had to be absolutely ready before then. So he was painting till the last minute, didn't get home to his family in another city for Shabbos, and had no time to change before shkia.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics