Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is my sheitel OXIDIZING FROM THE SUN ? or was it dyed poorly

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:55 pm
I want to dye my sheitel from light brown to darker brown.(it was a light brown but over the years got much much lighter. . ....and its too light...)

I dyed it myself to a cool tea medium brown and I loved how it came out. But, now a few weeks later, it got much lighter.

Is it getting lighter (oxidizing ) from the sun?

Or, is it that my sheitel cant hold the color well??

I was thinking maybe if I go to a salon with "stronger" dyes, it will stay dark, or, is it that the color doesnt "hold" / stay in my sheitel???

I dont want to waste $55 plus tip(im doing it in a non jewish salon so its cheaper) on a dye job if it wont stay??

Does anyone have a sheitel that doesnt hold a darker color dye for more than a few weeks?

LittleMissMama

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:58 pm
How many years old? Has it been colored before? Is it processed? If so, likely, at this point in its life, it will not hold a color well.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:58 pm
In those few weeks, how many times did you wash it?
My relative dyes her older wig at a professional place and she said after 3 washes it starts to come off.

mom!

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:30 pm
The sun def effects oxidizing shaitels. Take it to someone else for a second opinion before assuming either way.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
In those few weeks, how many times did you wash it?
My relative dyes her older wig at a professional place and she said after 3 washes it starts to come off.

No, I didnt wash it at all. It held well those few weeks and then got lighter which is a beautiful mix of colors but I want a darker color.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:00 pm
Thanks everyone, I may sound ignorant but does a sheitel only oxidize and get lighter from the sun?? Or does it get lighter just from being "out" in the air?

I walk around 15 min each way to work but usually cover my sheitel with a hat so...

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:03 pm
Yes, a wig gets discolored by the sun. I wear a black wig. We spent a summer in Israel and my wig literally became orange.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:06 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
How many years old? Has it been colored before? Is it processed? If so, likely, at this point in its life, it will not hold a color well.

I dont know if it was colored before except it probably was colored when I bought it bec I had it custom made to match my hair color, and it is very old.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Yes, a wig gets discolored by the sun. I wear a black wig. We spent a summer in Israel and my wig literally became orange.

Thanks. Is it only from the sun beating on it, or just from being in the heat/outside??? I did try to cover my sheitel with a sun hat when im outside.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dont know if it was colored before except it probably was colored when I bought it bec I had it custom made to match my hair color, and it is very old.

Older Shaitel don’t hold color as well
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics