Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cheated by a ‘frum’ magazine. Stealing?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

mommy2379

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:05 pm
I think its important OP reaches the mag because she needs to CALL THEM OUT on this!

mommy2379

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:11 am
Did you get through OP?

shirasingsalot

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:31 pm
I’ve spoken to the head of [edited] Magazine who I have been following and reading since they were established last year. She told me that this is the very reason she started it. She was writing for other publications and they changed her voice. She wanted a place where authentic stories were being told in their original voices. Maybe you should look into sending to them? Their articles and stories are amazing.

strawberry cola

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:02 am
op, did you talk to anyone at the magazine to try to get some clarity?

OOTforlife

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:10 am
It might be small consolation, but it seems that this kind of theft is pretty widespread (which doesn't make it any more ethical). The issue is currently blowing up on Twitter. This thread started it: https://mobile.twitter.com/bla.....06656 (caution: profanity). A lot of other people are sharing similar experiences.

ssspectacular

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:22 am
shirasingsalot wrote:
I’ve spoken to the head of Nashim Magazine who I have been following and reading since they were established last year. She told me that this is the very reason she started it. She was writing for other publications and they changed her voice. She wanted a place where authentic stories were being told in their original voices. Maybe you should look into sending to them? Their articles and stories are amazing.
Here is the site: www.nashimmagazine.com

What is Nashim magazine? Is it online only?

zissy2004

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 3:45 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
What is Nashim magazine? Is it online only?

Yes.

OP, did you get any answers?

mommyfish

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:02 pm
I did....this answer was even worse then the first time around... it seems that someone alerted them to this thread. They sent an email with the title Hope It Wasn’t Us Wink..... which obviously means that they knew it was them. (Aside for the fact that there is no identifying information from me over here so they obviously knew they were in the wrong of they knew to contact me.) They went on to say that they feel bad, but really they heard the story before (from someone who was involved in the story and ‘happens’ to be the editors neice.) They claim they were going to write it up anyway but then when they saw my story they just decided to use mine instead of going through the “trouble.” But then they said so many things had to be fixed (Of course, not elaborating. And why didn’t they say that when they saw the article instead of accepting it?) so they just decided to write a whole new story.
Without informing me.
Using my title.
Under a different name.
I’m really a very nice person and I hate confrontation but they wrote they’ll send me a kill fee for my work. I demanded payment for my original article as if they would’ve published it. So far, nothing yet. I’m seriously flabbergasted by the chutzpah but I’ve heard from other people that it’s par for the course for this specific magazine.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:12 pm
mommyfish wrote:
I did....this answer was even worse then the first time around... it seems that someone alerted them to this thread. They sent an email with the title Hope It Wasn’t Us Wink..... which obviously means that they knew it was them. (Aside for the fact that there is no identifying information from me over here so they obviously knew they were in the wrong of they knew to contact me.) They went on to say that they feel bad, but really they heard the story before (from someone who was involved in the story and ‘happens’ to be the editors neice.) They claim they were going to write it up anyway but then when they saw my story they just decided to use mine instead of going through the “trouble.” But then they said so many things had to be fixed (Of course, not elaborating. And why didn’t they say that when they saw the article instead of accepting it?) so they just decided to write a whole new story.
Without informing me.
Using my title.
Under a different name.
I’m really a very nice person and I hate confrontation but they wrote they’ll send me a kill fee for my work. I demanded payment for my original article as if they would’ve published it. So far, nothing yet. I’m seriously flabbergasted by the chutzpah but I’ve heard from other people that it’s par for the course for this specific magazine.

Payment would be nice but it will not make up for the fact that you received no credit for the work you put in. So upsetting

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:40 pm
OP that's terrible. Their excuses are meaningless. They told you your article was accepted, what exactly can that possibly mean...other than that it was accepted?? They used their position as a magazine that receives unsolicited submissions to steal your work.

I don't know if anything can really be done practically, but maybe it's worth trying to speak with a rav who's on their rabbinical board, if only so as to alert him of their practices.

Studious

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:36 am
Definitely speak to a rav. This is outrageous. Many posters were trying to dan lekaf zchut and it actually is as bad as it sounds.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:39 am
They actually sent in the subject line a winky face?!

karat

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:44 am
Someone on the magazine’s staff started a thread in response to this.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:49 am
karat wrote:
Someone on the magazine’s staff started a thread in response to this.

I think that was in response to a different issue....

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:58 am
MommyFish, I wonder if you aren't obligated to publicly give out their name. Maybe you should ask a Rav about this. Maybe it falls in the catagory of 'lifnei eever los sitayn michshol'. To prevent other people from having this exact same experience.

karat

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:09 pm
singleagain wrote:
I think that was in response to a different issue....

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....32099
So this is not in response to complaint in this thread?
I’m confused.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:24 pm
karat wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363510#4532099
So this is not in response to complaint in this thread?
I’m confused.

That response from Binah was in response to this thread.

ETA I forgot to add the link:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....63261

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommyfish

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:29 pm
singleagain wrote:
They actually sent in the subject line a winky face?!
[quote]

Yup, can you imagine? Also, the Binah article was in response to something else, nothing to do with this.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:38 pm
[quote="mommyfish"]
Quote:

Yup, can you imagine? Also, the Binah article was in response to something else, nothing to do with this.

That almost makes it worse. It's so childish. Like when an adult tells a kid "say sorry" and they say sorry but don't mean it. That's what I get from the winky face... "I'm only saying sorry bc someone else told me" it sounds like they would not have continued to ignore otherwise...

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:35 pm
I would ask a rav if you can make this behavior public. If they won't respond that might stir up some attention
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics