Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbor parking in my driveway - vent
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:54 pm
I am beyond upset with this. I am numb. I have asked and told him not to park there. He claims it's late at night or he is unloading or some other excuse. It stops for a day or 2 and then he does it again. He even parked on my lawn.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:56 pm
Put up a sign that any vehicle parked in the private driveway will be towed at vehicle owner's expense and then follow through and have the tow truck company pick up their car. If they want their vehicle back they'll have to pay the towing company.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:04 pm
Call a private towing company and find out how it works. In NYC, for example, you would (I believe) call the police first and the car would be ticketed. Once ticketed, you can have a private company tow the car.

Your neighbor sounds like an absolute jerk. Parking on your lawn?? Who does that??

If you don't want to go that far, next time he parks there, block him in and refuse to move.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:09 pm
My parents had that in brooklyn. They called a towing company after many attempts that the neighbor was just being a jerk. They tried taking legal action against my parents but of course lost.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:09 pm
My neighbors do the same after asking them countless times not to. They even have their guests park in our spot. What we do is we block them in and go to sleep! They can bang our door down, we just don't open. That's the only way they learn.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:21 pm
Wow! That is such terrible chutzpah! Surprised

trixx

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:09 pm
Yep. Call the cops who will give a ticket and then a towing company will come, or block and don't move the car (or answer your door) for at least an hour. Do it a few times and he'll get the message. Don't cave.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:16 pm
Surprised

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put up a sign that any vehicle parked in the private driveway will be towed at vehicle owner's expense and then follow through and have the tow truck company pick up their car. If they want their vehicle back they'll have to pay the towing company.

This is a good idea for someone else to do. The reality is that if op does this, she is starting a permanent war that will last forever. The neighbor is obviously wrong for parking in the op's driveway, but is it worth ww3?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:40 pm
I heard of someone who not only blocked the car in. But also then drank a few beers, so that they legally were not allowed to drive. The guy who parked on private property actually called the cops to try and get the owner to move, and the owner is like "well.. I've had a few I shouldn't be driving"

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:46 pm
singleagain wrote:
I heard of someone who not only blocked the car in. But also then drank a few beers, so that they legally were not allowed to drive. The guy who parked on private property actually called the cops to try and get the owner to move, and the owner is like "well.. I've had a few I shouldn't be driving"

Lol he called the cops?

"I parked in someone's driveway and now he's blocking me!" LOL

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:46 pm
It's time to put a locked gate on your property.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Lol he called the cops?

"I parked in someone's driveway and now he's blocking me!" LOL

Basically. Yeah. It was an entitled ppl/parent story online.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:48 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
This is a good idea for someone else to do. The reality is that if op does this, she is starting a permanent war that will last forever. The neighbor is obviously wrong for parking in the op's driveway, but is it worth ww3?

No, her neighbor started the fight. She's just not allowing herself to be a doormat.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
No, her neighbor started the fight. She's just not allowing herself to be a doormat.

Exactly this. It's not like there's a friendship she's trying to preserve. He clearly doesn't respect her and steps all over her.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:32 pm
On your LAWN?! Ok that crosses the limits of my neighborliness.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:51 am
OP here. I am venting. He continues to park obnoxiously. He blocked my driveway yesterday when I was expecting a delivery. He said he knows the delivery guy, and it's ok. He was only eating lunch. I made him move, but he finished his lunch first. DH was not home.

Last night he was in my driveway again. There was enough space for us to get in and DH was able to get out this morning. DH was driving. I am not such a good parker as him.

DH says he's lazy. That's the extent DH we'll condemn this. He did get upset when the guy parked on the lawn. He thinks I am over reacting to the driveway parking, but I don't like parking tightly. I don't like being blocked in. Besides it's MY driveway.

I tried talking to him explaining that the weather is nice. My driveway is an active driveway. I would understand if it was pouring out and to please stay out of my driveway unless it's urgent. I explained to him that I don't want others parking in my driveway. Another neighbor tried it and stopped after I said no.

I can't understand the mentally and lack of respect for boundaries. There were spots not a minute walk from my driveway.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:52 am
Start parking blocking your own driveway?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 7:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. I am venting. He continues to park obnoxiously. He blocked my driveway yesterday when I was expecting a delivery. He said he knows the delivery guy, and it's ok. He was only eating lunch. I made him move, but he finished his lunch first. DH was not home.

Last night he was in my driveway again. There was enough space for us to get in and DH was able to get out this morning. DH was driving. I am not such a good parker as him.

DH says he's lazy. That's the extent DH we'll condemn this. He did get upset when the guy parked on the lawn. He thinks I am over reacting to the driveway parking, but I don't like parking tightly. I don't like being blocked in. Besides it's MY driveway.

I tried talking to him explaining that the weather is nice. My driveway is an active driveway. I would understand if it was pouring out and to please stay out of my driveway unless it's urgent. I explained to him that I don't want others parking in my driveway. Another neighbor tried it and stopped after I said no.

I can't understand the mentally and lack of respect for boundaries. There were spots not a minute walk from my driveway.

WHAT?!? He knows the delivery guy, so he can block?? Beyond chutzpah!!!!!!
When did he start this parking in your driveway chutzpah?

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 7:07 am
The minute you give them leeway that you understand if it's just for a minute or if weather is bad certain people will take that to mean they can always do it. You need to just say no ! And call the cops /towing company if they do it.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette