Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Help! MIL visiting for 3 weeks!

thegiver

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:42 pm
Best part of all... husband will only be around for an hour each day.

What do u talk about??? I am rly not a conversationalist and it can be perceived as giving a cold shoulder...
Do I need to keep her entertained? How do I make her feel welcome?
How do I politely suggest hygiene concerns or differences? She is getting older and less cognizant of the need to shower more frequently... also her memory is changing so she will say the same story over again many many times.

Pls give me chizuk! I want to be a positive example for my children and I want to be an eved hashem. This is hard for me!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:35 am
thegiver wrote:
Best part of all... husband will only be around for an hour each day.

What do u talk about??? I am rly not a conversationalist and it can be perceived as giving a cold shoulder...
Do I need to keep her entertained? How do I make her feel welcome?
How do I politely suggest hygiene concerns or differences? She is getting older and less cognizant of the need to shower more frequently... also her memory is changing so she will say the same story over again many many times.

Pls give me chizuk! I want to be a positive example for my children and I want to be an eved hashem. This is hard for me!

My mil does this, not bc of age or dementia but from anxiety. Will literally tell me the same story five times. Or turn to me three times during the meal and ask if I want the soup croutons (I'm gluten free).
Smile and humor it.

ROFL

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:36 am
With hygiene issues maybe you can suggest to her why don’t you hop into the shower now and then You can watch the kids while I shower ?
Or I am doing laundry now let me take your clothes I see there is a bit of of stain here - you go change shower and I will do laundry while you are in the shower.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics