Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less uncovered Sheitels more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

mom24.7

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:30 pm
I think clear or light pink nail polish can be very refined and eidel but it will never and was never accepted as the norm by chassidim. Individuals that wear them with covered sheitels are looked upon as highly unusual and borderline modern by frum chassidish people.

That doesn't make not eidel but it's still not an acceptable thing within the chassidish community.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:41 pm
mig100 wrote:
interesting- surprising- not shocking.

of course depends a lot on tuition- I dont know which schools he is referring to.

rent is definitely significantly less in lakewood- boropark is generally at least twice the price or more for siilare size

if they had no car in brooklyn and have two in lakewood- I can see the costs being about equal. - taking into consideration leases, tolls, gas, car insurance

I think people assume brooklyn is crazy expensive ( which it is) when they see the price of rent -without taking into consideration the savings on car/ travel.

We've crunched the numbers. Even though rent and mortgage would be less, real estate would be more, heating air conditioning much more also sometimes lawn care pool care, two cars and much more gas and transportation costs. We would be spending same or even more. For the extra money we'd get a bigger home. The hassle and expense for our particular family is not worth it to move.

mig100

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:56 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
We've crunched the numbers. Even though rent and mortgage would be less, real estate would be more, heating air conditioning much more also sometimes lawn care pool care, two cars and much more gas and transportation costs. We would be spending same or even more. For the extra money we'd get a bigger home. The hassle and expense for our particular family is not worth it to move.

intersting- thanks for your response-

I assume you mean real estate TAXES. I also assume when you say heating and air conditiong would be more that you are comparing a larger house in nj to a smaller house in brooklyn.- why else would it be less?

I think the biggest advantage to living out of brooklyn - is for those who can not afford the high down payment needed to buy house here. it also depends when you bought

there are a lot of factors to take into the calculation- though overall when you include everything- lakewood is not neccessarily as cheap as it seems when you look at the cheap rent.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 1:59 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Some of my husband's friends who moved to Lakewood claim that their living expenses are higher in Lakewood. Go figure.
And yes, my youngest child had a Valco carriage and if I would have had the sense I would have bought a bugaboo. I walk almost everywhere and the bugaboo wheels are smooth and I come home much less exhausted when wheeling my my niece in her expensive bugaboo.

Scratching Head What how? I’d love to see what in Lakewood was so much more expensive (besides tuition maybe)

I don’t begrudge anyone with a bugaboo trust me.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:01 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
The picture I have of my great-grandmother pre-war she's wearing a high collar, long sleeves, waisted gathered dress, coming down past her knee (probably more than 4 inches, though I doubt she counted) and two braids down to her waist.
She lived in a shtetel in Hungary.

Was she chassidish?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:01 pm
mig100 wrote:
intersting- thanks for your response-

I assume you mean real estate TAXES. I also assume when you say heating and air conditiong would be more that you are comparing a larger house in nj to a smaller house in brooklyn.- why else would it be less?

I think the biggest advantage to living out of brooklyn - is for those who can not afford the high down payment needed to buy house here. it also depends when you bought

there are a lot of factors to take into the calculation- though overall when you include everything- lakewood is not neccessarily as cheap as it seems when you look at the cheap rent.

I meant property taxes. And homes in Lakewood cost more to heat and a/c because the homes are much bigger no radiators only HVAC which costs more too and homes are vinyl siding so very drafty no brick homes only facades.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:02 pm
mom24.7 wrote:
I think clear or light pink nail polish can be very refined and eidel but it will never and was never accepted as the norm by chassidim. Individuals that wear them with covered sheitels are looked upon as highly unusual and borderline modern by frum chassidish people.

That doesn't make not eidel but it's still not an acceptable thing within the chassidish community.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I should've been more specific. Never did I say it's not eidel. Clear and light pink is very eidel but as you call it "not the norm by chassidim and borderline modern". Those people might not like the fact cuz they wanna justify themselves for wearing it but it's still doesn't make it into a chasidisha thing.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:06 pm
delicious wrote:
I'm sure your look is fine and eidel. No need to get defensive.

But the nail polish you wear is still not a chassidish thing to do.

Listen, I'm chassidish and I drive. So does driving now become a regular, standard thing chassidish women do?

Were friends Wink you're actually the only one getting it.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:45 am
flapsmom wrote:
To answer OPs question I think it's a combination of many factors.
1) Many non chassidim are moving out of boro park
2) In general there is less of the "middle ground" heimish Judaism around. I see the Jewish world moving towards either of the two extremes (very chassidish vs. very not)
3) Yes there's definitely a trend of more of the chassidish ladies putting on an extra covering. They say that the previous Bobover Rebbe was busy putting socks (stockings) on the women and hats (shtreimlech) on the men while the current Rebbes are busy putting (veisa) socks on the men and hats on the ladies.
Furthermore as being "chassidish" just means looking a certain way you have those who cover and yet wear nail polish which you never would have seen previously, because as long as that hat is there they are "chassidish" no matter what else they do.

Your last sentence is showing haughtiness and showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:42 am
I think it is a good idea to read the parsha of Meraglim. It teaches us that it is a horrible thing to talk on a community..

Which Jewish communities lived in EY at the time?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:05 am
Respectfully, if you would truly respect our family tradition of wearing hat over sheitel (like you would Amish or even the
average Western women for wearing whatever she wears) you wouldn't make your comment.

I don't see how Pesek Zman's comment was lacking in true respect. And I completely agree with her.

Our Lakewood Rebetzins, who do not have the tradition to wear seamed stockings or covered sheitels, are every bit as tznius as Chassidish Rebetzins who have this tradition.

mig100

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:32 am
SuperWify wrote:
Scratching Head What how? I’d love to see what in Lakewood was so much more expensive (besides tuition maybe)

I don’t begrudge anyone with a bugaboo trust me.

Read the above posts

Tuition?? I thought that's cheapest in Lakewood?? Where is it cheaper?

questioner

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:53 am
mig100 wrote:
Read the above posts

Tuition?? I thought that's cheapest in Lakewood?? Where is it cheaper?

BP Chassidish schools

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:53 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Which Jewish communities lived in EY at the time?

The parsha of meraglim is the story of the spies coming into the land of Israel and looking with an evil eye and talking evil speech.
The parsha of chasidim is the story of coming into our chasidish communities (literally or figuratively) and looking with an evil eye and talking evil speech.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:12 pm
The parsha of meraglim is the story of the spies coming into the land of Israel and looking with an evil eye and talking evil speech.
The parsha of chasidim is the story of coming into our chasidish communities (literally or figuratively) and looking with an evil eye and talking evil speech.

interesting tzushtell.
The aveira that is learned from that story is NOT the issur of LH and talking bad about Yidden (that's a different aveira)
The issur is talking bad about ERETZ YISROEL. The LAND.
The gemara says - one may not say the weather in EY is too hot. One may not say the people who live in EY are bad.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't see how Pesek Zman's comment was lacking in true respect. And I completely agree with her.

Our Lakewood Rebetzins, who do not have the tradition to wear seamed stockings or covered sheitels, are every bit as tznius as Chassidish Rebetzins who have this tradition.

You can completely agree with her and you may be 100% right, but when people make comments such as this, it is not about tznius.
Make no mistake, they are doing what they accuse chasidish looking people of doing: they are making themselves feel superior and denigrating others.
It is a better idea to look into your own ruchniyas and stop measuring chasidish people's ruchniyas.
(Remember, there is something called PROJECTION.)

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:24 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
interesting tzushtell.
The aveira that is learned from that story is NOT the issur of LH and talking bad about Yidden (that's a different aveira)
The issur is talking bad about ERETZ YISROEL. The LAND.
The gemara says - one may not say the weather in EY is too hot. One may not say the people who live in EY are bad.

Parshas Shlach (Bamidbar Perek 13 passuk 2) Rashi: why is the section dealing with the spies juxtaposed with the section dealing with Miriam? Because she was punished over
manners of slander, for speaking against her brother and these wicked people witnessed [it]
and did not learn their lesson. -(Midrash Tanchuma Shelach 5)

gogold3333

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:13 am
Bringing up this thread, boro park has become way to ultra chasidish lately

flapsmom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:25 am
Um what exactly is that supposed to mean?

gogold3333

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:42 am
More Williamsburg style
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics