Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/O therapist burnout

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:40 pm
Any other psychotherapists here feeling burnt out? I used to love the work, but ironically as I got more experienced and better at what I do, I started feeling completely burnt out, and I dread going to work. Would love to do something less draining with my degree.

behappy2

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:24 am
Are you in therapy yourself? Did you try to learn how to feel compassionate without getting burned out and trying to figure out the type of clients that make you feel more alive?( I'm not a therapist )

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:34 am
You have to take less patients every day.
You need a therapist for yourself.
You need more vacation.

You can also change industry. Like I did. Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:43 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
You have to take less patients every day.
You need a therapist for yourself.
You need more vacation.

You can also change industry. Like I did. Smile

I don’t see many clients at this point. And yes I do my own process work as well. At this point I’m def open to changing industries... just don’t know to what.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:03 am
What is the source of your burnout? Is it repetitive? Do you fail to see progress? Do you feel a lack of challenge? Is it a lack of inspiration? Do you feel disconnected? Frustrated? Emotionally depleted?

I think identifying the source is really important in working through it

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:10 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
What is the source of your burnout? Is it repetitive? Do you fail to see progress? Do you feel a lack of challenge? Is it a lack of inspiration? Do you feel disconnected? Frustrated? Emotionally depleted?

I think identifying the source is really important in working through it

I’m just not enjoying it anymore. Possibly emotionally depleted (from your list above).

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m just not enjoying it anymore. Possibly emotionally depleted (from your list above).

Can you go deeper into this? What is the source of the emotional depletion?

Also, what helped you enjoy it in the beginning? And what is missing now?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:35 am
Maybe you want to switch to teaching. You may just need a change.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:29 am
wow this makes me wonder if the therapist I go too feels like this inside? therapy is such a rewarding career, I am always so jealous of ppl who help others and are a mentor to people. The world needs more devoted people!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:37 am
OP as someone in the field, there are so many positions for someone with a SW degree which are not directly clinical. Look on indeed or somewhere similar. Maybe you can still utilize your degree in a completely different setting.
Good luck!

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:50 pm
I wanted something in a completely different industry. I knew that for the same reason therapy became depleting teaching is going to become deleting as well.

After 2 years of indecision and not being able to bring myself to it and my therapist telling me I must stay a therapist because the world needs me (And even my resume writer and my career coach both asked me are you sure you asked a gadol?! You've helped so many people!) I finally had the strength to block out the noise swallow my pride and take the plunge.

I went into HR. I love it.
I help people but in a business setting. It's a very healthy office environment and I'm breathing new air since.

I am a soft and compassionate human being that also has a strong business sense and a knack for negotiation and sales.

I now know that the burnout was the business side of myself that was screaming to be developed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:54 pm
I wanted something in a completely different industry. I knew that for the same reason therapy became depleting teaching is going to become deleting as well.

After 2 years of indecision and not being able to bring myself to it and my therapist telling me I must stay a therapist because the world needs me (And even my resume writer and my career coach both asked me are you sure you asked a gadol?! You've helped so many people!) I finally had the strength to block out the noise swallow my pride and take the plunge.

I help people but in a business setting. It's a very healthy office environment and I'm breathing new air since.

How did you get into it?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did you get into it?

I went to a career coach got myself a great resume and after a long struggle I got my foot in door for a lower salary in a great company bh.

I don't know which of the three was most important but I think the combination was.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:11 pm
So interesting because I’ve been thinking about switching to a career in psychology from education. I love education, but wanted to advance my career and branch out.
Do you think I should skip it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:16 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
So interesting because I’ve been thinking about switching to a career in psychology from education. I love education, but wanted to advance my career and branch out.
Do you think I should skip it.

I want to say, yes you should skip it, but everyone is different ... but from my personal experience I don’t recommend it. However, who’s to say I wouldn’t eventually burn out in any career? I don’t know...

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:18 pm

I am a soft and compassionate human being that also has a strong business sense and a knack for negotiation and sales.

I now know that the burnout was the business side of myself that was screaming to be developed.

HR sounds like such a great career change for a burned-out therapist. Kudos to you for doing what you had to do!

Sounds pretty terrible that people tried to guilt you into staying in your position.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:33 pm
I'm curious to know if the op and others mentioning burnout feel that the burnout is due solely to the nature of the work itself, or is it a result of being emotionally/physically drained as responsilities grew at home - perhaps with a growing family that required more - leaving less emotional energy left to deal with a career that can also be emotionally draining?
If it's connected to the normal depleted resources from raising a growing family, the career switch may be a good option for now and you may still find yourself drawn back to your original career later in life. Just a thought.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I'm curious to know if the op and others mentioning burnout feel that the burnout is due solely to the nature of the work itself, or is it a result of being emotionally/physically drained as responsilities grew at home - perhaps with a growing family that required more - leaving less emotional energy left to deal with a career that can also be emotionally draining?
If it's connected to the normal depleted resources from raising a growing family, the career switch may be a good option for now and you may still find yourself drawn back to your original career later in life. Just a thought.

That's what I kept on telling myself.

At this point I'm not sure I'll want to go back there. There is so much room for advancement where I am right now I'd rather grow here than go back there.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:50 pm
smileforamile wrote:
HR sounds like such a great career change for a burned-out therapist. Kudos to you for doing what you had to do!

Sounds pretty terrible that people tried to guilt you into staying in your position.

They were not trying to guilt me.
I was fabulous at what I did (niche type of therapy) and they all felt I am doing a disservice to the community and to myself by doing a career change. They (my therapist and spiritual mentor) offered to help me in any way so I can stay where I am.

I followed my heart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics