Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do you want women in a Magazine
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 19  20  21  Next

Why do you want women in magazines
For inspirational reasons (Role Models)  
 20%  [ 33 ]
I believe equal for men and women  
 21%  [ 35 ]
Only little girls  
 15%  [ 24 ]
It's not a halacha, I don't believe in Chumros  
 42%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 160

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:24 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
But some women do get that message. Thats what I was saying.

'Firstly, I agree with you. Some women did get the message. Why can't I voice that I didn't?
Secondly, I did post that I personally would not want my picture in a magazine.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:26 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Yes, I am reading your posts. My "read" was that since you grew up without seeing any female figures in magazines and you feel you turned out just fine, and not "less than," you see no problem with the non-inclusion of said females.

I did then note that later you said you have no problem with pictures of women in magazines.

I am just trying to tie down whether you, delicious, feel that the current policies in place for frum media are acceptable/healthy or unacceptable/unhealthy (notwithstanding your DH's opinion on the matter), since you seem to be batting from both sides of the plate in this thread.

Also, we are clearly not of the same school of thought. You don't want to hear my opinion of what the policy of frum media should be. I have seen enough bashing on this site.

Also, I don't have an opinion of what frum media's policy should be. While I personally see nothing wrong with it, I would have to think about the policy as a whole.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:32 pm
delicious wrote:
Also, we are clearly not of the same school of thought. You don't want to hear my opinion of what the policy of frum media should be. I have seen enough bashing on this site.

Very simple:

The policy you prefer usurps the majority's opinions, and leaves them with zero options available to them. The policy the majority prefers, offer options to you to accommodate your own preferred policy.

It's absurd how personal twisted opinions are placed onto society. And what's more absurd is when the backlash arises, those with the twisted opinions declare themselves to either be the righteous one or the victims.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:36 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Very simple:

The policy you prefer usurps the majority's opinions, and leaves them with zero options available to them. The policy the majority prefers, offer options to you to accommodate your own preferred policy.

It's absurd how personal twisted opinions are placed onto society. And what's more absurd is when the backlash arises, those with the twisted opinions declare themselves to either be the righteous one or the victims.

How do you know which policy I prefer? I haven't decided myself!

All I voiced was that I hadn't seen this as shameful personally.

Goodness

And don't worry, my personal opinions are not placed onto society. I'm plain simple little me, I got no fancy positions in any magazines or whatnot

Littlemiracles

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
Like previously stated, this is not a fight for glossy ads.

Frum women’s faces are safe.

The family first is not for the whole family. Its a women’s magazine. Tell your husband to stay away if the impure author’s faces are so offensive.

And still waiting for my answer.

This is what I wanted to know. I didn't think that men are interested in women's magazines. They enjoy the am I business section...

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:57 pm
delicious wrote:

Also, I don't have an opinion of what frum media's policy should be. While I personally see nothing wrong with it, I would have to think about the policy as a whole.

Thank you for answering honestly.

I actually do want to hear your opinion of what the policy of frum media should be. That is why I asked. If/When you have time to consider and develop it, please PM me if you are willing to share (rather than revive this thread). I agree that our worldviews are different, but that doesn't mean you can call my intentions into question, nor did I bash you. I simply drew a line connecting one set of your posts to another and made some inferences,as did some of the other women on the board. If you take a step off today's soapbox and look around, you may see that it wasn't that big a stretch.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 6:01 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Thank you for answering honestly.

I actually do want to hear your opinion of what the policy of frum media should be. That is why I asked. If/When you have time to consider and develop it, please PM me if you are willing to share (rather than revive this thread). I agree that our worldviews are different, but that doesn't mean you can call my intentions into question, nor did I bash you. I simply drew a line connecting one set of your posts to another and made some inferences,as did some of the other women on the board. If you take a step off today's soapbox and look around, you may see that it wasn't that big a stretch.

You did not bash me. But rather I referred to the overall bashing going on on this board.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:22 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

Edited to add:

Just so you know how this would have gone in my house.

I wanted new backsplash -my husband didn't think it was necessary - but since we agree that there is some money in our budget that can be spent on 'wants' not 'needs' - we got the backsplash.

My husband comes home and the contractor asks him if he likes it, he says yes, what did my wife say?

Nice. I mentioned in the other thread that practically we are probably similar in many ways.

Just curious..what if he doesn't agree that there is enough money in the budget?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:38 pm
delicious wrote:
Nice. I mentioned in the other thread that practically we are probably similar in many ways.

Just curious..what if he doesn't agree that there is enough money in the budget?

We figured out when dating that we were on the same page when it comes to money matters. If we weren't - we wouldn't have got married. Its a really important point of compatibility.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:57 pm
Littlemiracles wrote:
Those cultures that keep women most covered up and shut away (I know, like diamonds) are the ones with the most violence against women. We surely do not want to go in that direction.

I just checked this and it's not true. According to the WHO, the countries with the most domestic violence against women are actually located in central and South America and in Africa.

I know, off topic, just wanted to clarify that tiny point -- covering women up does not lead to higher rates of violence against women.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:05 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I just checked this and it's not true. According to the WHO, the countries with the most domestic violence against women are actually located in central and South America and in Africa.

I know, off topic, just wanted to clarify that tiny point -- covering women up does not lead to higher rates of violence against women.

Here’s a clue to what the other posters were talking about:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....s/amp

Also ever heard of honor killings? fGM? But Muslim women are very strong in their tznius.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:08 pm
marina wrote:
If - in your mind - a man's decision isn't more worthy or valuable, why on earth would you imagine that the man's decision stands? I genuinely do not understand.

Delicious can you address this? I still don’t understand either.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:09 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Also ever heard of honor killings? fGM? But Muslim women are very strong in their tznius.

Here's a link to the study I was referencing:

https://www.who.int/reproducti.....5/en/

I heard about both of the things you mentioned. Which is not related to rates of violence against women.

ETA: It doesn't seem to relate to lower rates either, at least as far as I can tell. It just has no effect. Which is not minimizing that Muslim countries are very restrictive of women in general, and I personally would not want to live in such a society.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 8:32 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

fGM is cultural not specifically Muslim.

soap suds

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:07 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
First, I want women in magazines for the same reason I want men in magazines. A picture gives a fuller sense of the person and makes it easier to identify with him or her.

Second, I oppose the distortion of halacha. You don't get to invent new halachos to meet someone's silliness.

And third, when you remove women from the public sphere, you objectify them and set the stage for violence against women. Those cultures that keep women most covered up and shut away (I know, like diamonds) are the ones with the most violence against women. We surely do not want to go in that direction.

Oh please! There could be a million reasons why they should print pictures of women. This is not one of them.

(I probably should skim through the thread before responding to a post on the first page, but I don't have the time right now. )

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:36 pm
marina wrote:
I'm not bitter at all. But I am sad for you. You are clearly not as special - yet- as the entire communities of women who are not allowed to drive and vote in community elections. Don't worry, maybe one day you will become as precious and awesome as they are.

The reason why I don't drive has nothing to do with how awesome or special I am. I don't drive because this is the norm in my community. Period.

Do I sometimes wish I did. Actually no. But I can relate to that.

However, I simply view it as part of the full package I get for all the awesome things my community delivers.

So I don't always get what I want. And at times it bothers me. But that's a trade off I'm willing to take for all the other good things it has to offer me.

No need for martyrdom. Thank you very much.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
Noooooo. Thats not the point. The point is that in theory, Mishpacha can print women's photos in the FF only. And then if men are oh so tempted to GAZE at the photos, they know which to avoid. How does that lead to segregated magazines?

The contents of the magazines will be affected.
I'm sorry I'm not elaborating. I need to think this through more, though I have already. I got up too early and I'd like to see the rest of this thread. (FTR I think this is p. 8)

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:47 pm
I never really gave any thought to pictures of women or girls in magazines and didn't care until a couple of weeks ago when my son asked his sister if she wants to help him build something so they can take a picture and send it to the Circle magazine. She shrugged and replied that why should she since she won't even get credit because they can't print her picture. I didn't know that, she pointed it out to me in fine print in the back of the magazine. I get it, yes they can print her name but it's not the same credit her brother will get since his face can be shown. Then she asked why she can't have her picture in it too like her brother and I said, well it might not be tznius if other people look at it, and she asked what's wrong if people look at her face that isn't wrong looking at her brother's? You know what, now I'm confused on where I stand on the whole issue. Do I explain to my young daughter that boys and men can possibly ch'v see her face and become aroused? She should hide because we think so little of the male gender that they can't control themselves seeing a young girl's face? Now idk where I stand on the issue but I've woken up a bit...

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:54 pm
Besides for the magazine issues and photos, it’s spilled over into books and drawings!
Eg comic book series ‘let’s imagine’setting modern times with a beis Hamikdash. Great idea for a series but my sons all noticed that there were no mothers or sisters in the books! Once I think there’s a drawing of a girl. I don’t like that message.
If I had young daughters I wouldn’t bring this series home.

Or the kids videos coming out of Israel and translated. They’ll have violence etc but again no mother or girls in the family. Even when the story is about the mother!

This isn’t just a magazine problem.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:01 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I never really gave any thought to pictures of women or girls in magazines and didn't care until a couple of weeks ago when my son asked his sister if she wants to help him build something so they can take a picture and send it to the Circle magazine. She shrugged and replied that why should she since she won't even get credit because they can't print her picture. I didn't know that, she pointed it out to me in fine print in the back of the magazine. I get it, yes they can print her name but it's not the same credit her brother will get since his face can be shown. Then she asked why she can't have her picture in it too like her brother and I said, well it might not be tznius if other people look at it, and she asked what's wrong if people look at her face that isn't wrong looking at her brother's? You know what, now I'm confused on where I stand on the whole issue. Do I explain to my young daughter that boys and men can possibly ch'v see her face and become aroused? She should hide because we think so little of the male gender that they can't control themselves seeing a young girl's face? Now idk where I stand on the issue but I've woken up a bit...

I sincerely hope you are joking.
Page 13 of 21   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics