Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Single cooktop for dairy & meat

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 6:56 pm
Going from 2 separate cooktops to 1 & I'm a bit confused.
It will probably be by the fleishig counter .
How do I deal w cooking dairy - things like hot splatters or splashes onto the counter? (It will be inset into the countertop so no space nearby)

Also does one need to kasher between cooking dairy & meat food if it spills?

Sorry to sound ignorant, haven't dealt w this in a very long time & I just don't recall.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 6:58 pm
By cook top do you mean stove? LIke a range?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:10 pm
No range. Just a gas cooktop set into the countertop.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:18 pm
The side that splatters on the meaty counter use for meat items and the dairy stuff on the other side of the rooftop. It's not like you have to keep the sides separate. Only if it will splatter on counter.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:19 pm
It's all the meat counter .
The dairy counter is across the kitchen

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:23 pm
Buy a splatter shield if you are cooking fried dairy that will splatter. I usually don't have splatter issues (except chicken soup or something fried). If something spills over to the stovetop that is not an issue. But if something falls on the stovetop, don't return it to the pot, throw it out since surface of stove would be considered other and not kosher.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Buy a splatter shield if you are cooking fried dairy that will splatter. I usually don't have splatter issues (except chicken soup or something fried). If something spills over to the stovetop that is not an issue. But if something falls on the stovetop, don't return it to the pot, throw it out since surface of stove would be considered other and not kosher.

Or just put down some foil -- or towels if its not too near the flame -- in the area where you anticipate splatters, and throw it out afterwards.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:30 am
Ooh good ideas!
I know if we cook macaroni sometimes the water from the dairy pot will splash out.
Or my kids are messier cooks & might drop some noodles w cheese onto the counter etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen