Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why is Shabbos prep taking all day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:08 pm
I recently started a new job where I don't work Fridays. I was happy to make challah again, and cook nice (not fancy or elaborate) meals, and maybe have time to get a manicure, meet a friend for lunch, or go for a walk.

Even though it is summertime, making Shabbos is taking all day.

I can't remember how I managed before. I usually do a bit of prep on Thursday, but somehow it does not help much. What do you ladies do to streamline your Shabbos prep so you have some free time on Friday?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:43 pm
Invite guests on Monday
Plan on Tuesday
Shop on Wednesday
Cook on Thursday
If I need to do any cooking on Friday, all the prep is done before hand, chopping etc.

All salads are chopped and prepped on Thursday in seperate components, including all dressings.

Challah is usually baked once a month on Tuesday.

I plan Friday lunch and Motze Shabbat on Tuesday as well, and it’s all prepped on Thursday.

I have cleaning help Monday and Friday
She does ALL the cleaning, laundry, and sets the table.

Friday is me day.
Also I try to be completely ready an hour before Shabbat. That’s the time I sit with a magazine and drink a coffee.

I don’t work anymore, but when I did the schedule was the same. Except Friday was a working day. But I still had my coffee an hour before Shabbat

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:56 pm
I do everything Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is for chilling.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:00 am
Challah once a month in Wednesday. We have fresh pizza for dinner that night.

I menu plan and shop Wednesday, cook Thursday evening besides for the cholent which I do really quick Friday morning. Friday morning is for errands and then laundry. I have a cleaning lady Friday afternoons so that really really helps.

After lunch I set the table (we have one table at this point..) and then I have the afternoon to go to the park, mall, get manicure ect.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:11 am
The more time you have the more time it takes. The less time you have the more efficient you are

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 6:10 am
pesek zman wrote:
The more time you have the more time it takes. The less time you have the more efficient you are

So true..... I have a similar situation to op and always say that's why I can't make Shabbos quickly anymore. I know this sounds crazy, but schedule your leisure activities and than you will be able to make Shabbos around them.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:09 am
I agree with the above, your work stretches to fill the time. Planning something Friday, maybe a manicure, early afternoon may help you finish up before you paint your nails.
The first time, you'll need to plan shopping and food prep well. Look into how to use cooking time effectively. Read up or search eople making Shabbos in 2 hours, 1 hour, or 1/2 hour active time.
I sometimes wake up early to make shabbos before work. It makes it a set, short time. I dont like it but sometimes the week is crazy.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:16 am
First Law of Physics: Work expands to fill the time allotted.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:23 am
pesek zman wrote:

Thats what I was going to say. DH and I both work full time, so we are the masters at a super fast shabbos prep. When one of us has Friday off, it takes ALL DAY. Its a mental thing - shabbos shopping, which normally happens on Thursday night can wait until Friday am. The kids are usually home when a free Friday occurs, so its a slower morning and shopping doesnt happen until at least 10. Then, there is more time for prep, so more patchka'dig food is made. Then, there is MORE time, so why not make that second cake? And a trip to the library in the middle of it all, so oven timing has to revolve around that as well. Make another kugel? SURE! There is plenty of time!

And before you know it, there I am, lighting candles in the 18 mins with dripping wet hair, frazzled kids, frazzled me and DH, wondering how this happened.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:28 am
during the week I make mains and freeze (if it's chicken I prep and freeze raw, if it's meat I freeze it after it's cooked).
Thursday night I cook fish and sides and prep salads and veggies for soup.
Friday morning I put up the soup and cholent and at some point during the day I pop the frozen main into the oven, and cook it low and slow.

WastingTime

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:39 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Invite guests on Monday
Plan on Tuesday
Shop on Wednesday
Cook on Thursday
If I need to do any cooking on Friday, all the prep is done before hand, chopping etc.

All salads are chopped and prepped on Thursday in seperate components, including all dressings.

I plan Friday lunch and Motze Shabbat on Tuesday as well, and it’s all prepped on Thursday.

Friday is me day.
Also I try to be completely ready an hour before Shabbat. That’s the time I sit with a magazine and drink a coffee.

I don’t work anymore, but when I did the schedule was the same. Except Friday was a working day. But I still had my coffee an hour before Shabbat

If I met a genie this would be one of my 3 wishes.
Right now I make it into Shabbos with my bedroom somewhat clean, laundry that's needed for Shabbos usually done but not folded, most of kitchen cleaned, sometimes countertops and sink scrubbed, tablecloth on sometimes table set. Floor somewhat washed. And food cooked (very basic menu)
Left with messes in playroom, kids bedrooms, bathrooms, and a lot of anger resentment and sadness by me and husband and probably kids.

Never knew being messy could ruin my life so much 😪😪😪😪

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:42 am
WastingTime wrote:
Right now I make it into Shabbos with my bedroom somewhat clean, laundry that's needed for Shabbos usually done but not folded, most of kitchen cleaned, sometimes countertops and sink scrubbed, tablecloth on sometimes table set. Floor somewhat washed. And food cooked (very basic menu)
Left with messes in playroom, kids bedrooms, bathrooms, and a lot of anger resentment and sadness by me and husband and probably kids.

Please realize that this is normal and cut yourself some slack. I'm happy if only a few things on the list happen. Life is busy. You do the best you can under the circumstances.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:46 am
WastingTime wrote:

You've pretty much described every Shabbos of my life.

Why is this such a bad thing? A relaxed wife and mother should be much more important than a perfect house and stress in the home.

Shabbos is supposed to be a time of joy, when you just say "this is my best, and now I can rest."

Shani88

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:59 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Invite guests on Monday
Plan on Tuesday
Shop on Wednesday
Cook on Thursday

Friday is me day.

This is seriously GOALS for me. Would love more details.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:14 am
I long ago realised I could spend most of wednesday and thursday planning and cooking for shabbos, or it will all get done friday regardless. My cleaning lady comes friday afternoon so I can get away with that. Also, I have a better sense of guest numbers by friday.

In the winter, I try and do a bunch of stuff on thersday night, in the summer I leave it all till friday.

IF it is just my family, (which happens almost never) I can easily make shabbos in under 2 hours. Challa from the freezer, 1 dip that everyone likes in particular, just a main course.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:17 am
watergirl wrote:
Thats what I was going to say. DH and I both work full time, so we are the masters at a super fast shabbos prep. When one of us has Friday off, it takes ALL DAY. Its a mental thing - shabbos shopping, which normally happens on Thursday night can wait until Friday am. The kids are usually home when a free Friday occurs, so its a slower morning and shopping doesnt happen until at least 10. Then, there is more time for prep, so more patchka'dig food is made. Then, there is MORE time, so why not make that second cake? And a trip to the library in the middle of it all, so oven timing has to revolve around that as well. Make another kugel? SURE! There is plenty of time!

And before you know it, there I am, lighting candles in the 18 mins with dripping wet hair, frazzled kids, frazzled me and DH, wondering how this happened.

You just described my life

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:30 am
What Zaq said.
One week, do a log of ally our Shabbos preps. Be as dispassionate as possible, like you're a disinterested observer. Note what you do when.
After Shabbos, look at what you did. Make a note of what you can do in advance and try to do that. There are things like washing Shabbos clothes early in the week, baking/cooking and freezing, making dips and marinated salads earlier in the week, etc.
Don't expect overnight transformation and do celebrate every small success and remind yourself how much Hashem loves whatever you do for His and our special day. Say it out loud and tell your kids. Yes, that last half hour before Shabbos might still be hectic. That doesn't negate your say, shopping on Wednesday, or whatever else you do, whenever. And you know what? All that stuff you do in the last half hour? Do it joyfully.
Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:49 am
OP here.

Your responses have been wonderful! Lots of excellent suggestions and lots of commiseration. It is nice to know I am not alone in the Friday struggle, and exciting to know
there is another way. Tizku lemitzvos!!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:54 am
It usually takes me about 2 or 2.5 hours on a Friday to make shabbos.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:16 am
I plan for Shabbos all week, really.
When I'm cooking for Shabbos and see that I'm short on beans or meat for the next week, I try to write it down, like that I have a heads up. I also see if I need to make dessert or if I have leftovers.
I also have a list of what I use for every Shabbos, like farfel, barley, radish, potatoes and so on.
I try to wash the Shabbos laundry in the beginning of the week, like that I know that the clothing is taken care of and I don't have to scramble the last minute because Zecharia's Shabbos pants stayed under his bed and now it's half hour before zman and he doesn't have what to wear! lol Smile
I try to shop on Tuesday and if I can squeeze in some baking for Shabbos I do it as well.
I also soak the beans on Wednesday and peel the potatoes for the kugel on Wednesday as well.
I put up the soup, kugel, fish on Thursday night.

Friday is a tougher day because the kids are usually home early and you have to be occupied with that as well. It's not just your Shabbos prep that you're busy with. You're busy with kids that are hungry or bored the entire day.

I'm still figuring it out more than 2 decades of making Shabbos. As long as I'm trying to improve, I consider myself good.

There's a book on helping you organize the entire week for Shabbos, but the name eludes me now.

Bhatzlocha!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note