Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Can You Be Pro-Life AND Pro-Vaccine? A Nurse Speaks.
1  2  3  Next

bluebaker

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:34 am

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 6:45 am
Fetal cells are used in medical treatments for spinal cord injuries, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's. Are you willing to commit to foregoing all treatment, for you or your family members, now or in the future, that in some way has used or stems from fetal cells? Or is it only vaccines that you're concerned about?

Anyway, since when is Orthodox Judaism against all abortion? Abortion is not only allowed, it is mandated if the mother's health is threatened.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 7:41 am
You know, we have a lot of people with a whole lot of hashkafic issues and questions about Yiddishkeit. But one thing I think everyone has to give authentic Judaism props for is that we don't see everything b/w. We synthesize gashmiyus and ruchniyus by involving ourselves in and elevating the gashmiyus, and we can see nuance where others can't.
Yes, you can be "pro-life" (in quotes because we don't agree with everything the gentile pro-life movement does) and pro-vaccine.
If I have time I'll check out the nurse. ETA: For some reason my filter's blocking it. But I don't have time anyway.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:12 am
There's so much misinformation in what she's saying, it's actually pretty entertaining to listen!

But seriously, who is she? Rabbonim have ”approved” vaccines, who is she to say otherwise!

Oh, she's a nurse - she definitely must know what she's saying Banging head

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:26 am
The fact that she is a nurse gives her the same authority to speak about vaccinations a random person on the subway. She read a book.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:58 am
Yes- I’ve gotten her other anti vax videos on my phone already. She leaves me feeling jumpy she’s so jittery

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:01 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Yes- I’ve gotten her other anti vax videos on my phone already. She leaves me feeling jumpy she’s so jittery

She's a White Christian Patriotic know-it-all.

We have better people to listen to.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:39 am
I'm provaccacine as anyone, but don't like the nurse bashing in this thread! A nurse knows a great deal more about vaccines than a random person in a Subway!

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:47 am
A nurse may have better access to medical information, but that doesn't automatically make her an expert on vaccines.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:51 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I'm provaccacine as anyone, but don't like the nurse bashing in this thread! A nurse knows a great deal more about vaccines than a random person in a Subway!

I agree that we shouldn't be bashing nurses. But this particular nurse doesn't seem like the most discerning consumer of information. She seems to swallow hook, line, and sinker the lies that were told about what Planned Parenthood did with aborted fetuses. You can be for or against abortion; it doesn't change the fact that the stories this nurse tells about babies kept alive and then murdered for their organs are just false. (It's also nonsensical. Think about it. If the whole point is to get fetal cells, a baby capable of surviving on its own isn't going to provide them, because it's no longer a fetus.)

[Second edit to this post. As amother Cerise on the 40 years in the Midbar thread and PinkFridge on this thread and the Midbar thread have pointed out, Patriot Mom believes that JC was the messiah. See https://www.thepatriotnurse.co.....s-me. As PinkFridge correctly wrote, Patriot Mom is either a Messianic Christian or a Jew-for-JC. This is not someone we want to listen to. On a frum website, we should make sure that people know when they are being sent to a JC-focused website.

[First edit to this post: I don't know what evidence bluebaker has that Patriot Mom is Jewish. I'm still very doubtful. In any case, Patriot Mom seems entirely ignorant of the discussions in Sanhedrin emphasizing that the life of the mother comes first over a fetus or even a fully viable baby prior to the baby crowning.

But I want to correct the (2nd ed: possible) error in my post.

She also is admittedly coming to her medical views as a fundamentalist Christian. I've said this before, but again: I am shocked that women on a frum site are citing fundamental Christian beliefs to support their anti-vax stance. We are not fundamentalist Christians. We are Orthodox Jews. I don't want any medical professional -- doctor, nurse, ultrasound technician, respiratory therapist, whatever -- of any religion or sect or persuasion basing their medical advice on their religious beliefs.
/end first edit]
/end second edit]

Last edited by JoyInTheMorning on Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total

chanatron1000

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:57 am
If the issue is a moral one, it is then not a medical one, and her authority as a nurse no longer makes her an expert.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:22 am
I have no problem bashing THIS particular nurse. BUT I'm sure I could find a handful of wacko doctors out there spouting the same garbage, and no one would say "big deal he's a doctor, random people know as much about vaccines as him".

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:27 am
Wakefield, the guy who started the whole now discredited "vaccines cause Autism" fad was a medical DOCTOR but pro-vaccine people criticize him as a person, they don't say "oh DOCTORS don't know anything anyway". Please give the same courtesy to nurses when one of them is disgraceful.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:32 am

I made the comment - and I agree - nurse received education in school about vaccines - random guy on subway did not. However the information she is providing in this video was not taught to her in school. She read a book. She watched a movie. Whatever. Dude on subway could have done the same thing.

sushilover

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:34 am
I can't watch the video at work, but let me assure you
Yes, you can be pro-life and pro-vaccine.

The Torah is staunchly pro-life (with the exception of extreme circumstances, like virtually every pro-lifer), yet is pro-vaccine.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:34 am
Wakefield, the guy who started the whole now discredited "vaccines cause Autism" fad was a medical DOCTOR but pro-vaccine people criticize him as a person, they don't say "oh DOCTORS don't know anything anyway". Please give the same courtesy to nurses when one of them is disgraceful.

I didn't say 'nurses don't know anything'. But what she is talking about on this video - her nurse credentials don't add anything.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:03 pm
As a nurse myself I have to agree that being one does NOT make you knowledgeable about vaccines. It's comical that she's using that as a reason ppl should trust her knowledge.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
As a nurse myself I have to agree that being one does NOT make you knowledgeable about vaccines. It's comical that she's using that as a reason ppl should trust her knowledge.

Amother color checks out...or not.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 7:50 pm
are you serious

yksraya

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:27 pm
I see it the same way as we as jews do not donate organs when cvs in an accident as it's against halacha. But if cvs someone needs a heart transplant, it is halachically ok to get a heart transplant even if it means it will shorten the life of the donor.

So yes, I'm pro life and pro vaccines. I do not abort and I do not agree with the idea of abortion, yet those who choose to abort, who cares if it's used for medical purposes.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics