Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to make a light cholent? Easy on the stomach

motherperson

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:04 am
I always make a cholent with steak kidney beans and potatoes with lots of paprika ketchup and let it slow cook. I’m in the mood of a lighter cholent this week. Any suggestions I don’t mind doing with chicken...

jewwoman

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:14 am
Chicken, potatoes and sweet potatoes in big chunks. Pinhead barley. No beans. Paprika spices n ketchup. U can add kishka if u want.

emmes

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:46 am
Navy beans makes a lite cholent (if you want to stick with beans). I do mostly navy beans, a little barley, and a little cranberry beans. Spices. Meat. I think ketchup also makes it heavy. I boil the beans for 10 minutes then rinse it very well.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:48 am
I had a neighbor who did a rice chulent, because her son was allergic to beans. Rice, meat, potatoes, water, salt, and spices.

preciousmommy

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
I had a neighbor who did a rice chulent, because her son was allergic to beans. Rice, meat, potatoes, water, salt, and spices.

That sounds good, but not particularly light to me.

emmes

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:57 am

Last edited by emmes on Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:07 am
Lentil cholent is delish make sure to soak beans 15 hours or do 1 hr hot soak for rush.
Rice stew also lighter.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:11 am
Soaking the beans overnight makes a lighter chulant as well. I know people that do a quinoa chalont but I don't know exact directions.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:17 am
I have never had a light cholent

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:23 am
Cholent is a heavy food. Eat less of it.

MiriFr

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:08 pm
Only spices. No sauces.

penguin

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:16 pm
Here is my recipe, quite light but delicious.

Pour boiling water over baby lima beans. (I find these the lightest). Let sit 1/2 to 1 hour and then pour off water & rinse.

I use a little bit of short grain brown rice, a few carrots, cut up.

Sometimes a sweet potato though I'm not all that fond of it in cholent. They do say if you wrapt it and put into cholent it can simulate kishke pretty well, though.

Then once the rice & beans are hot, I add the potatoes. I like them on the top so they get browner. I usually use red potatoes and I don't peel them, just cut out the eyes or any bad spots.

I also found that I don't need to saute my onion, I put that all the way on top so it can kind of dry out and get almost fried.

I use salt, coconut sugar, minced onion when I'm too lazy for the onion. Also you can use a piece of elephant garlic which is very mild & sweet.

Paprika on top and a little oil. You could, of course add chicken. I find the best type is couple of deboned chicken bottoms in a net bag so it doesn't fall apart. Otherwise it can get too messy. [I prefer to have the option not to get fleishig and if I'm in the mood I'll eat a piece of cold grilled chicken with the hot cholent.]

Last edited by penguin on Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:48 pm
I’ve made a quinoa and brown rice cholent that I feel is so much easier on the stomach.

Or a hearty vegetable soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics