Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Need to clean kids’ rooms- who can help me?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:48 pm
There is a lot of background, which I’m going to skip (for now, if needed I’ll add it later) but here is the issue in a nutshell:

DDs are 12.5 & 8.5 and each have their own room. The rooms are on the small side.

My kids’ rooms are a disaster. You can barely walk into them. For various reasons, they NEED to be cleaned within the next 3 weeks.

We have tried to help them in the past but they get very overwhelmed and they both also have dust allergies so they can’t work for long stretches which means it gets stretched out over days/weeks and never works.

I have my own issues which make it hard for me to tackle it on my own.

My DH would be willing (probably) to help/ do it but he totally doesn’t get them & when he ‘helps’ it always ends in tears/tantrums.

I am willing, if needed, to pay for help, but I’m not even sure what kind of help to look for.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Feel free to ask any questions for clarification.

I’m in Lakewood, if it matters.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:52 pm
Maybe hire a professional organizer to show you and your kids how and where to put everything.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:52 pm
Start by trashing what you don’t need
Then organizing by catagory

Can’t expect an eight or twelve year old to have the stamina to clean a very cluttered dust filled room

Echo thunderstorm- Hire an organizer but need to hurry
This could be a long project

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:40 am
familyfirst wrote:
Start by trashing what you don’t need
Then organizing by catagory

Can’t expect an eight or twelve year old to have the stamina to clean a very cluttered dust filled room

Echo thunderstorm- Hire an organizer but need to hurry
This could be a long project

Yes, working out what to keep is key. You can do some of it - throw out things the eight-year old really doesn’t need although best done when she isn’t looking! And then see if she if she wants to throw anything else out. Get her involved as much as possible.

Your 12-year old is at a good age to tell you exactly what she does and doesn’t like and can probably do most of the throwing out under your watch/by herself, depending on her personality. I am starting to enjoy clearouts with my 12-year old DS because in many areas of his life he is not confident at decision making yet with clearouts he has firm keeps and give aways. Some may surprise you or be different from what you would choose. The important thing is to get your children used to doing these things for themselves.

Both your children can pick nice organizing plastic or fabric boxes after they have worked out what to keep. Lots to choose from on Amazon.

Dust and cleaning will be easier to tackle when the space is better organised/clearer and your 12-year old can certainly vacuum herself.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:43 am
1 - you cannot work on both rooms at the same time. Focus on one room and expect it to take a few days.

2- start by bringing in a lot of garbage bags. You need to throw out a LOT! You can buy her one under the bed storage box to save her most important memories. (Even that box has to get cleaned out every few months)

3- after you get rid of clutter which should hopefully mostly make it into the garbage, work on the clothing. Do not save anything that she will not wear now. Organize inside of drawers and closets making piles of things to give away and things that belong in the garbage.

4- do you have a place in another room for games? If so, do not allow games/ toys/ books...to be stored in the rooms since it causes clutter. If this is where you want to keep those things you have to make a neat, organized corner using appropriate sized baskets stored on shelves in closet.

5- dresser tops should be clear. They are not a storage space. The floor should be clear only allow furniture on it.

6- wash the linen or buy a new set to make a fresh look.

7- this is not a one time job. The room has to be maintained on a regular basis. If not, it will get like this again very fast!

I wrote these tips for you. This is really too much to ask of a child. It’s also hard for a child to actually throw things out. You might work best when your kids are not home.

Good luck! It might not be so much fun to organize but you will surely enjoy a clean room afterwards.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:42 am
Start by sorting everything into separate piles - shirts, dresses, shoes, socks, papers, books, games, pens, laundry, etc. And bring a large bag for garbage. I think after that, it be will be easier to organize from there. Throw out or give away what you don't need, and put away the rest.

imokay

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 5:32 am
Do each room separately.

To deal with the allergies, wear a face mask while cleaning.
This is what I do and I find that it really helps.
In addition, you can take an allergy pill before hand.

Phase 1:
I would first map out the basics of what I want stored in the room and which general areas will be stored for what.
Ex: clothing, toys, books, accessories

Each item has an option: sort, discard or relocate.

Clear the floor and clutter by sorting.
Make piles as you go.
Each item, put in the correct pile. (sort)

Items that don't belong in the room get put in a pile/bin/bag in the hallway to be put in correct location (can have a few hallway piles for different locations in house). (relocate)

Anything you can throw out, throw out.
In this case I wouldn't make a pile of clothing to give away, I would just throw it out because that will facilitate the cleaning and minimize items. (discard)

Important!: Do not get distracted by items you come across. Look at it, categorize it and sort it.

Phase 2:
Once you have everything sorted, you can dump each pile in correct general location
Yes, dump. Don't fold or organize. Just dump shirts into drawers, books onto shelves, etc.
The point of this is to quickly clear and categorize the room and make sure everything has a general home and that anything that doesn't belong in the room is not there.

Phase 3:
I would make sure I have a variety of storage bins/boxes on hand.

Once this is done, now you can organize each area as you have time. One day you can do the closet. One day the drawers. Etc.

In this stage you generally discard additional items and further categorize and relocate. Ex: putting shirts in correct drawer, sort shells by color, headbands separated by bows. And so on.

Phase 4:
Re evaluate your organization and see if anything needs to be moved.
Buy any additional storage containers that you need.

Phase 5:
Maintenance.
Every so often go through each area and sort, relocate and discard.

Using this method I find, an overwhelming task becomes broken doen into smaller and more manageable pieces.

The initial purge will take time, be prepared to follow through all the way to the end, with a pre arranged reward waiting.
Phase 2 should be quick.
Phase 3 can be done over a period of time.
Phase 4 is really a state of mind.
Phase 5 is a periodic event, as needed.

Good luck and you can do it!

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 5:46 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
1 - you cannot work on both rooms at the same time. Focus on one room and expect it to take a few days.

2- start by bringing in a lot of garbage bags. You need to throw out a LOT! You can buy her one under the bed storage box to save her most important memories. (Even that box has to get cleaned out every few months)

3- after you get rid of clutter which should hopefully mostly make it into the garbage, work on the clothing. Do not save anything that she will not wear now. Organize inside of drawers and closets making piles of things to give away and things that belong in the garbage.

4- do you have a place in another room for games? If so, do not allow games/ toys/ books...to be stored in the rooms since it causes clutter. If this is where you want to keep those things you have to make a neat, organized corner using appropriate sized baskets stored on shelves in closet.

5- dresser tops should be clear. They are not a storage space. The floor should be clear only allow furniture on it.

6- wash the linen or buy a new set to make a fresh look.

7- this is not a one time job. The room has to be maintained on a regular basis. If not, it will get like this again very fast!

I wrote these tips for you. This is really too much to ask of a child. It’s also hard for a child to actually throw things out. You might work best when your kids are not home.

Good luck! It might not be so much fun to organize but you will surely enjoy a clean room afterwards.

I agree that doing one room at a time is best. I disagree that it is too much for a child. A 12-year old is completely capable of making their floor and desk clean. Sure they might need a bit of help and encouragement, but if you teach your children that it is their responsibility to keep their rooms clean, the task is easier.
Otherwise you will be doing major clean ups for them well into their teens.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 7:59 am
Just did this with my 6 & 9 yr olds. They did the work while I directed /helped them. I encouraged them to throw out anything they don’t love, and helped them decide where to put stuff they do.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:04 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Just did this with my 6 & 9 yr olds. They did the work while I directed /helped them. I encouraged them to throw out anything they don’t love, and helped them decide where to put stuff they do.

Yes, that is something I tell my kids when we clean their rooms... think if it’s something you LOVE... if not it’s okay to throw out.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:53 am
An organizer can get it cleared and organized fast, which you need, and at the same time set up a system tailor made to each child for their individual room. She'll take the lead but involve the kids and teach them how to maintain it.

While she's taking the lead on clearing and organizing, the kids can wipe down the dust with Clorox wipes, Murphy Oil wipes (for wood surfaces) and Windex wipes (mirrors).

It's possible to do this in just 2-4 days with an organizer (1 day for each room), plus an extra day or 2 to come back with the necessary long term containers and organizing systems.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry