Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Feminism
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:42 pm
Women have an advantage using guns, but knives are more feminine.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 7:56 pm
Ewww ladies. The gun worship is ugly. Simone Veil and suffragettes aren't feminists?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:31 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Pearl, I am part of the same type of community you describe and used to think like this. But the previous posters are right. It's not a man/woman thing. It's a deep thinker one.

I began looking and I have found friends who understand me. It takes time, but we are around.

And nothing can be more demeaning to women than to assume--as many misogynists do--that women are intellectually inferior and chatter while the men have intelligent discussions. Yes, sometimes this does end up happening at the shabbos table by my in-laws, because the men are expected to talk Torah and the women aren't, but that's just because of societal expectations, not because of any difference in intellect. I find that after the initial pshat the discussion turns to celebrity gossip of which rebbe went to which wedding and to whom he sat next to and if he spoke to Mr.Z who pulled funding etc. etc. Basically the stuff of tabloids with a kosher twist.

Rolling Laughter

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:56 am
Ruchel wrote:
Ewww ladies. The gun worship is ugly. Simone Veil and suffragettes aren't feminists?

Nobody made a claim even close to that.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:33 am
ora_43 wrote:
Sure. But you were talking as if huge swaths of people are incapable of doing it. It'd be like saying that women shouldn't necessarily do the cooking, because some women aren't professional chefs, and letting them loose in the kitchen could have catastrophic consequences.

Adults can handle the mild discomfort of doing a chore they don't particularly enjoy. (afaik, very few people male or female enjoy budgeting).

I love taking care of the finances. I enjoy it very much and I would become depressed if this responsibility would be taken away from me and given to my husband.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:12 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Nobody made a claim even close to that.

They did. But ok.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:00 pm
Ruchel wrote:
They did. But ok.

Nuh-uh.

SacN

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:26 pm
Quote:

I don't agree. Read Mishpacha and then read Family First.

In my experience in many many homes, usually its the women who read both. And who complain about the shallow nature of the Family First, while appreciating the break from using their brains.

Because yes, women have them. = to me, the definition of Feminism.

I work in a young secular office, in a mostly male department. Such a kick out of you ladies bashing the misogyny in the frum world. Golly, you should see how they (my secular coworkers) talk about women. Pregnant women. Tall women. Fat women. Fit women. Women who are too smart. Women who are too emotional. Women who dress up too much, or two little. Who wear too much makeup, or not enough. Who have kids, who don't have kids.
Meetings, where women are interrupted by men saying the same thing she was saying.
And honestly, truly, I work with good guys.

It's individual, but theres power in misogyny. It's hard to shake, even in the secular world which claims to value equality.

That's why I am a feminist. It's also part of why I became frum.
Frum men may be misogynistic. Some are, for sure. Many frum women are too. But they don't joke about women's bodies with quite the same volume or relish.

It's a universal problem, sadly.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette