Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Diamond cut candlesticks

Undefined

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:25 am
My DD wants Diamond cut candlesticks as a gift. I was advised by someone who sells Silver not to get it because it is very hard to maintain and if you get it dipped, once you have it redone it will never look good again. Someone in a different store told me the complete opposite that it will stay beautiful. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice whether it is a good purchase or not?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:05 am
What do you mean by dipped?

Metukah

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:34 am
My MIL and dh loved the diamond cut silver look, so they bought me such candlesticks. I was warned that it's difficult to clean. Turns out that wasn't so true and it always looked beautiful. I even bought dh a diamond cut silver menorah.
The trick is to use Goddards silver polish foam and do it with water. Just make sure to dry the silver really really well after washing, to ensure it lasts.
On another note, diamond cut look is a very specific taste, so maybe DD should make sure her dh likes the look. I know it's HER candlesticks but it's also his shabbos table. I wasn't asked if I liked the candlesticks and I really didn't love them. I only bought dh such a menorah because he really loved it and it anyway wouldn't fit in the display cabinet, so I thought, for 8 days a year I could cope with the look. I have since gotten a candelabra so don't use the sticks and have bought dh a new menorah, which does fit into our current silver cabinet.

srbmom

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:27 am
https://www.zionjudaica.com/St.....w_wcB

Are you talking about something like this?
I have almost those exact ones and they still look beautiful 15 yrs later with weekly use. Maybe they're a drop harder to clean but I honestly never though of it. I think the tarnish on the inset spaces actually adds more depth and character in between cleanings instead of just looking like tarnish.
I fell in love with them when engaged and still love them - I say if that's what your daughter likes, go for it

Metukah

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:37 am
srbmom wrote:
https://www.zionjudaica.com/Sterling-Silver-Candlestick-set-Diamond-Cut.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6cHoBRDdARIsADiTTzYL1S0yU39Qmi-ik2mP54yrj7bwnaW-LdnIYl_QtePxhLGuJ0pm_xkaAqWDEALw_wcB

Are you talking about something like this?
I have almost those exact ones and they still look beautiful 15 yrs later with weekly use. Maybe they're a drop harder to clean but I honestly never though of it. I think the tarnish on the inset spaces actually adds more depth and character in between cleanings instead of just looking like tarnish.
I fell in love with them when engaged and still love them - I say if that's what your daughter likes, go for it

These are exactly the ones I have, they really never look tarnished and really aren't do difficult to clean.

Srbmom what do you clean it with?

srbmom

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:47 am
Quote:
Srbmom what do you clean it with?

I use cream silver polish with a wet rag.

Undefined

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 4:49 pm
Thank you for all of your input. She definitely likes this style and it is much like the one in the link picture. She keeps being warned by the silver store lady not to buy it and she even showed her a picture of someone's that became very tarnished and gold looking. Dipping means they treat it with something and it stays nice for about 5 years with no polishing needed, but then you have to have that taken off and redone and she said that's where it ruins the look too, dulls it. The dipping costs around $200

srbmom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 5:39 pm
Mine have never turned gold or anything like that. They tarnish just like any of my other silver - and again I've had them for almost 15 years, use them weekly. I do put them away in a China cabinet every motzei shabbos, to slow the tarnishing
I have heard some good and some terrible feedback on dipping - definitely not something I was willing to risk for that amount of money.

Happydance

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:46 pm
Yea im not sure why that shop in brooklyn doesn't carry it and then tells people it's beca use its hard to clean. It's not especially hard to clean. My sister got hers dipped and they look beautiful a few years later

Metukah

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:53 pm
Undefined wrote:
Thank you for all of your input. She definitely likes this style and it is much like the one in the link picture. She keeps being warned by the silver store lady not to buy it and she even showed her a picture of someone's that became very tarnished and gold looking. Dipping means they treat it with something and it stays nice for about 5 years with no polishing needed, but then you have to have that taken off and redone and she said that's where it ruins the look too, dulls it. The dipping costs around $200

I have mine for over 11 years, they are not one bit tarnished and they clean easily.

I wouldn't advise the dipping. My candelabra was dipped and the dipping started peeling off, it was much harder to clean. It was just annoying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars