Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Will most Anti-Vax parents vaccinate or homeschool?
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:56 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I agree with amother Silver that anti-vaxxing parents certainly won't give all shots within 30 days. I know that when I, a pro-vaxxing person, got my MMR booster a couple of months ago, I was specifically asked by the pro-vaxxing staff at the pop-up clinic whether I had had any vaccines in the previous four weeks. They were not going to give me the MMR if I had. Fortunately, my most recent vaccine had been a Tdap in February, after a bloody injury which had necessitated the T of Tdap, so I squeaked through.

I'm surprised at the timeline they gave out, unless it has been misrepresented here. If true, it does show that the legislation was not crafted as carefully as it might have been, but that is often the case. That's what amendments are for. I thought I had read, though, that parents have to just show that they've started the process within a year and that they had a year to catch up. That makes more sense. It's still kind of hard. I suspect that the guidelines could also be loosened a bit. Perhaps kids don't need all 3 polio shots, for example. Maybe they could get one of each and then have their titers taken?

The reason they have to ask that is because you cannot have LIVE vaccines given within 28 days of each other (unless they're given on the same day). So if you had a varicella vaccine less than 28 days prior, they would not be able to give you the MMR until that timeline had passed.

In regards to giving 1 dose of all within 30 days, it's EXTREMELY doable. In the current vaccine schedule, multiple vaccines are given on the same day. They can choose to space them but it's medically unnecessary. For example, a 2 month old can typically get 5 items in one day (3 needles -one is a combo shot of Dtap, Hep B and polio, the 2nd is a HIB vaccine, and the 3rd is a pneumococcal vaccine). This is standard. They can then return a couple of weeks later for an MMR/varicella combo vaccine.

To fully catch up on schedule, they need multiple doses of each vaccine, but you have to wait 4-8 weeks for the next dose, depending on the vaccine and the dose number.

I'm not saying people may want to do this, but what I am saying is that it is medically appropriate and definitely ok to do.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:13 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
The reason they have to ask that is because you cannot have LIVE vaccines given within 28 days of each other (unless they're given on the same day). So if you had a varicella vaccine less than 28 days prior, they would not be able to give you the MMR until that timeline had passed.

In regards to giving 1 dose of all within 30 days, it's EXTREMELY doable. In the current vaccine schedule, multiple vaccines are given on the same day. They can choose to space them but it's medically unnecessary. For example, a 2 month old can typically get 5 items in one day (3 needles -one is a combo shot of Dtap, Hep B and polio, the 2nd is a HIB vaccine, and the 3rd is a pneumococcal vaccine). This is standard. They can then return a couple of weeks later for an MMR/varicella combo vaccine.

To fully catch up on schedule, they need multiple doses of each vaccine, but you have to wait 4-8 weeks for the next dose, depending on the vaccine and the dose number.

I'm not saying people may want to do this, but what I am saying is that it is medically appropriate and definitely ok to do.

Well, my doctor is not taking the responsibility of this. And the bill doesn't allow for "a couple of weeks later." 14 days. And that's if I would have run that first Friday for shots.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:01 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Well, my doctor is not taking the responsibility of this. And the bill doesn't allow for "a couple of weeks later." 14 days. And that's if I would have run that first Friday for shots.

Responsibility for what? I posted the normal routine vaccination schedule.
By the way, a couple of weeks = 14 days. And you don't have to wait the full 2 weeks. You can really return after 48 hours for the next vaccine, but I'm guessing most docs would say to wait a couple of weeks.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:46 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Responsibility for what? I posted the normal routine vaccination schedule.
By the way, a couple of weeks = 14 days. And you don't have to wait the full 2 weeks. You can really return after 48 hours for the next vaccine, but I'm guessing most docs would say to wait a couple of weeks.

She's not taking the responsibility of vaccinating on the schedule you posted for a previously unvaccinated child.

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:00 am
She's not taking the responsibility of vaccinating on the schedule you posted for a previously unvaccinated child.

There is a catch up schedule from the CDC for children who are behind on vaccines.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:05 am
nchr wrote:
There is a catch up schedule from the CDC for children who are behind on vaccines.

Oh, I guess she doesn't know it? Twisted Evil

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:07 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "not taking the responsibility." Are you saying she does not agree with the normal routine vaccine schedule and the normal routine catch up schedule? That's another story.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:56 am
I'm slightly confused though, I thought the mosdos stopped accepting religious exemptions a while ago already and every single child had to be vaccinated? Who even supplied these religious exemption? Which rov signed it?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:25 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm slightly confused though, I thought the mosdos stopped accepting religious exemptions a while ago already and every single child had to be vaccinated? Who even supplied these religious exemption? Which rov signed it?

Unfortunately, unless you were in one of the outbreak zipcodes, it's illegal to turn away kids with a religious exemption. A school in Long island was in the middle of a court case about it.
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics