Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nap and bedtime schedule for 12 month old

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:38 pm
I'm trying to figure out my baby's nap schedule. He takes a morning nap (sometimes 45-1 hour) and then when I put him in again in the afternoon (around 3:30-4) he started staying up and seems to be relaxing in the crib, but not actually sleeping.

Right now he goes to sleep at 8, wakes up around 7-8, takes a nap at 10:30 and again at around 4. His babysitter isn't flexible with naptimes and so the 10:30 can't be dropped (she wants all kids napping at the same time). I think he's usually ready for a nap earlier but I can't control what she does.

How do I know when he needs to drop one nap? And how will he go from 11:30 till bedtime if we're dropping the second nap? I think he's too little for that.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:46 pm
His morning nap time actually sounds right for the time he wakes up, if not a little early, but fine. The second nap sounds late. What time does he get home from the babysitter? Would he take a nap at 2:30/3? If he goes to sleep at 8 he should be waking up from his nap at 4, not going down then.

What ages does the babysitter watch? Is he the oldest? At some point soon he will need to drop the morning nap, what will she do then?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:48 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
His morning nap time actually sounds right for the time he wakes up, if not a little early, but fine. The second nap sounds late. What time does he get home from the babysitter? Would he take a nap at 2:30/3? If he goes to sleep at 8 he should be waking up from his nap at 4, not going down then.

What ages does the babysitter watch? Is he the oldest? At some point soon he will need to drop the morning nap, what will she do then?

He comes home at 3:30 and I try to spend a little time with him before I put him in. If he took an earlier nap he wouldn't make it till 8.

Babysitter watches all ages, up to probably 2 and 1/2. I honestly don't know what's going to be when he needs to drop the morning nap. I imagine at some point his naptime will be around 12:30 but she's very inflexible about it. She wants all kids on the same schedule (which is ridiculous).

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:04 pm
6:30-6:30. Either move the second nap up (1pm after lunch) so they morning nap is 9am. Or start transitioning to one nap (12/12:30)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:08 pm
pesek zman wrote:
6:30-6:30. Either move the second nap up (1pm after lunch) so they morning nap is 9am. Or start transitioning to one nap (12/12:30)

I can't, his babysitter insists on all kids napping at 10:30. Also, 8-7/8 works best with our schedule.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:09 pm
I’m sorry I’m not understanding the question. It sounds like the schedule is set

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:13 pm
I'm trying to figure out when kids drop a nap. And probably the next question is what to do when the naptime is not good for the parent and child but the babysitter insists... it's not so easy finding another babysitter where I am and my child is happy there.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:21 pm
You may have to move up bedtime if he doesn’t have a second nap. And how long (till what age) will he be on that schedule?

yerushamama

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:26 pm
I babysit, and while I do not set a naptime for the kids, I do try to have them sleeping at more or less the same time. There are several valid reasons for this. First of all, it isn't always easy to keep kids quiet for other kids to sleep. Also, a child that is the only one awake will be bored and unhappy. It also makes it much easier to have a schedule for the day - kids do better with a regular routine, If you find that the timing doesn't work for you, have a discussion with her about it.

How does she get the kids to sleep so early? I do a similar time for my kids, but the oldest is not yet 2, and gets up at 6 am. If the other kids are all early risers, you may just be stuck with this schedule until you move on.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:31 pm
I’m curious if he sleeps through the night?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:36 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
I’m curious if he sleeps through the night?

He does. I know that he moves around a lot and may be up some of the time but he’s quiet and goes back to sleep I guess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics