Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do health experts feel there's risk in eating this onion?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:34 am

Its totally firm but moldy at the root.

What do health experts say?

Any health risks to eating this onion?

How/where do you store onions and potatoes?

crush

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:00 am
I’m no expert, but as my mama taught me, I’d just cut off the bad part and use the rest.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:06 am
crush wrote:
I’m no expert, but as my mama taught me, I’d just cut off the bad part and use the rest.

Same, I'd use it.

I live alone, so I only buy as many potatoes and onions as I can eat before they go bad. I don't buy the bulk bags, so I can be picky about what I bring home, and get the best looking ones. It costs a bit more up front, but in the end there's no waste, so it's worth it.

This time of year, produce can go bad before you can blink, so only buy small quantities. The mold levels in the air can really take hold fast.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:32 am
Just cut off and use the rest.

I keep my onions, garlic, and potatoes in a small set of drawers in my cabinet

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:36 am
Rappel wrote:
Just cut off and use the rest.

I keep my onions, garlic, and potatoes in a small set of drawers in my cabinet

They go bad faster if enclosed. Leave them in a basket on the counter or in the fridge and they’ll last longer.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:39 am
Very true. But as I go through them very quickly, I rarely have a problem, and the sprouted onions and garlics are delicious!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:49 am
Is there a health risk in eating moldy foods? What do doctors and dieticians say?

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:51 pm
It depends on the species of mold. Blue cheese is that color because of the mold but some molds will make you very sick indeed even if you are not already allergic to the critters, which many folks are. And some molds are downright deadly, and some can infect the human body and be very hard to get rid of. When in doubt, throw it out. Personally I’d cut off a small isolated moldy portion of an onion or other firm produce but would discard the entire unit if mold is widespread or on juicy or soft produce like tomatoes.

The true health experts advise discarding all moldy produce because the grey fur you see is only part of the mold colony. Hyphae, or growth filaments, that are invisible to the naked eye may extend throughout the item. If the mold is harmless, no prob, but how many of us can correctly identify the type of mold, with or without a microscope?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 2:30 pm
zaq wrote:
It depends on the species of mold. Blue cheese is that color because of the mold but some molds will make you very sick indeed even if you are not already allergic to the critters, which many folks are. And some molds are downright deadly, and some can infect the human body and be very hard to get rid of. When in doubt, throw it out. Personally I’d cut off a small isolated moldy portion of an onion or other firm produce but would discard the entire unit if mold is widespread or on juicy or soft produce like tomatoes.

The true health experts advise discarding all moldy produce because the grey fur you see is only part of the mold colony. Hyphae, or growth filaments, that are invisible to the naked eye may extend throughout the item. If the mold is harmless, no prob, but how many of us can correctly identify the type of mold, with or without a microscope?

What would you do with this onion?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen