Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bas Mitzvah Party before actual birthday

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:25 pm
Hi. My daughter's Hebrew birthday is 3 days before RH. Can I make her 'bas mitzvah', the actual party/celebration, a few weeks before, on a Sunday? I'd do it after the holidays but I'm expecting a baby on Succos and not sure I'll be up for it right after that. Otherwise, it'll have to be on a weeknight 3 days before a 3 day yontif.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:28 pm
Talk to your daughter about having it earlier or later.

The bigger issue is will her friends be around in the summer? I know lots of summer birthdays who had their bar/bat mitzvah parties in Sept/October bc everyone was in camp.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:30 pm
Why not?

Unless the plan is to have her do something that requires her to be bat mitzvah already (make a bracha for hafrashas challah?) then it's just a party and can be made at your convenience. A bar mitzvah has to be done bo bayom or afterwards if the bar mitzvah boy is leining or making a siyyum but he can also have just a party before his birthday if necessary.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:32 pm
It is a party in honor of her becoming a Bat Mitzvah. There is no actual mitzvah involved that she would need to be actually the age for. (Unless you are toveling keilim, doing the mitzvah of hafrashat challah, or thinking of having her lead a mizumenet.). It is not like laining or having an Aliya. You can do whatever you want.

That being said, how does she feel (will her friends give her a hard time) and you you an eiyen hara person who is a uncomfortably with celebrating a simcha before the simcha?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:45 pm
There's no "hilchos bas mitzva" or any chayav to throw a party or have a seuda. So you can throw the party whenever you wish.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:54 pm
Smart idea to discuss with her (duh!) esp since many friends may not be able to attend a weeknight event (of which I hate those anyways).
She wants to do a challah bake but I find the idea overwhelming (even if I hire someone to do it) and I'd rather just hire someone to do Simcha dancing with the girls.
Is it too much to do challah bake and Simcha dancing? I feel like it is, esp as that'll get expensive.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:51 pm
Yes, no reason why not.

Just make sure it is when all her friends are back from camp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics