Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Feeling sad for ds :(

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:43 pm
I know that BH this is very very minor in the grand scheme of things and BH he's in good health. But my DS just fractured a bone right before camp and he's basically going to have to sit out sports all summer long. He's devastated, he looks forward to camp all year and his camp is very sports oriented. I feel so sad too and I don't know what to tell him besides validating how upsetting this is for him. Anyone have any tips?

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:49 pm
Is he really going to have to sit all the way out, all summer long? Maybe get a second opinion. When I was a kid I had some friends who had to sit out all summer with broken bones but in the last decade or so it seems they've gradually gotten more specific about these things. Different levels of restriction, possibly for less time than they used to... How old is he? Is there any possibility of switching to a camp that has more non-sports activities? Can he get a special "job" within the camp so he has something to do other than "sit out?"

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:55 pm
When my son broke his arm he got a waterproof cast so he could go swimming and he was able to participate in most sports. Are you sure your child can’t participate?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:08 pm
He's only going to camp for July (not possible to change that) and it's the camp all his friends go to, where he's been going for years. He definitely doesn't want to switch to a different camp. His cast is on his arm, so he really does have to sit out almost all the sports. They mainly play football and baseball in his age group, also some kickball which he can play infield but not outfield. All the boys talk about in camp is the leagues, comparing all their stats and making predictions about who will win the championships. I know he's going to want to be in on all the information so he can participate in those endless discussions, so he's going to want to watch all the games. He just feels really bad that he can't play. He doesn't even care about swimming, all he wants to do is participate in sports Sad

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:21 pm
can u take him on a special trip to make up for this bad stroke of luck, something he can look forward to?

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:24 pm
Can you ask the camp for special permission to bring along his own entertainment/activities to pass the time while others are playing sports?

animeme

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:27 pm
That's not nothing- it's major. Distraction is really hard for a kid who needs to move and needs the involvement.

Talk to the camp. See if he can be a kind of assistant coach/manager for his league team. If that's not a thing, see about getting him set up as an assistant to whoever runs the sports leagues overall. That will get him involved in it all, in a way that he and his friends will value. And definitely encourage him to swim for exercise.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's only going to camp for July (not possible to change that) and it's the camp all his friends go to, where he's been going for years. He definitely doesn't want to switch to a different camp. His cast is on his arm, so he really does have to sit out almost all the sports. They mainly play football and baseball in his age group, also some kickball which he can play infield but not outfield. All the boys talk about in camp is the leagues, comparing all their stats and making predictions about who will win the championships. I know he's going to want to be in on all the information so he can participate in those endless discussions, so he's going to want to watch all the games. He just feels really bad that he can't play. He doesn't even care about swimming, all he wants to do is participate in sports Sad

Aw Sad At least he has friends he's interested in... horrible timing though...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:28 pm
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to speak with the director and see what they've done in the past.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children