Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How long did it take you to learn driving?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:17 am
I googled this question and it says that the average person learns in 45 hours of lessons plus 22 hours of practicing.

That sounds like a ton to me. How long did it take you?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:35 am
I don’t know anyone who did 45 hours of lessons. That’s ridiculous.

It varies based on the person. I took 6 lessons and drove a lot with my parents to practice the skills. My driving instructor didn’t think I was ready for the test but my parents did, so I took it and passed. You need to beware of instructors who just want your money.

I think that most people only really learn to drive once they’re passed their test. It takes experience to become a good driver. You just need to learn the rules of the road and start driving.

superjew1

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:42 am
I took a 10 lessons with my driving teacher and like 20 hours of instruction in a classroom. I couldn't drive for the life of me after all that because ihad terrible anxiety and I was focusing on things too much. I ended up getting lessons from a company that reteaches people how to drive at they have been in a car accident or forgot how to drive due to a stroke or not driving a long time etc.
Did like 8 of those and then I could drive really well.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:50 am
I learned how to drive when I was 16 in NYS (not city, I don't know their laws). I took a 5 hour course in a classroom setting and drove 50 hours with my parents or anyone over 21. This is what I did because it was the rule not because it's how long it took to me to learn how to drive so take it with a grain of salt...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:51 am
My relative is a driving instructor.
What Im writing is about students that did not do any drivers ed in a classroom. It depends if you have a knack for it or somewhat of a knack or you are clueless and excited to be on the wheel instead of relaxing and focusing on listening a 100 percent and following 100 percent during lessons while trusting the instructor.

There are diferent types of students
1) wants to learn to pass and the minimum
2)wants to learn to drive well and safe in addition to passing. Asks the instructor how many he/she recomends and heeds the advice.
3)wants to only learn one or two specific things and don't teach me anything else because my friends are teaching me the rest for free.

45 paid hours makes sense In Israel where there are more mandatory hours than other places. In america people tend to do 20 hours. Plus the mandatory 5 hours class where they sit at the driving school's office. People who have a good knack for it may need less. Leave money for 2 highway lessons that can be after the road test.
Also you get what you pay for. If it's the cheapest auto school in the area you are going to get the cheapest service and methodology

mom_13

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:20 am
superjew1 wrote:
I took a 10 lessons with my driving teacher and like 20 hours of instruction in a classroom. I couldn't drive for the life of me after all that because ihad terrible anxiety and I was focusing on things too much. I ended up getting lessons from a company that reteaches people how to drive at they have been in a car accident or forgot how to drive due to a stroke or not driving a long time etc.
Did like 8 of those and then I could drive really well.

Can u share contact info please? Thanks.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 5:07 am
45 lessons is the norm here where many people choose to learn Manuel as opposed to automatic

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 5:35 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
My relative is a driving instructor.
What Im writing is about students that did not do any drivers ed in a classroom. It depends if you have a knack for it or somewhat of a knack or you are clueless and excited to be on the wheel instead of relaxing and focusing on listening a 100 percent and following 100 percent during lessons while trusting the instructor.

There are diferent types of students
1) wants to learn to pass and the minimum
2)wants to learn to drive well and safe in addition to passing. Asks the instructor how many he/she recomends and heeds the advice.
3)wants to only learn one or two specific things and don't teach me anything else because my friends are teaching me the rest for free.

45 paid hours makes sense In Israel where there are more mandatory hours than other places. In america people tend to do 20 hours. Plus the mandatory 5 hours class where they sit at the driving school's office. People who have a good knack for it may need less. Leave money for 2 highway lessons that can be after the road test.
Also you get what you pay for. If it's the cheapest auto school in the area you are going to get the cheapest service and methodology
Can you please explain this sentence? Im not sure what you are saying. Why does it make more sense in israel to have 45 hours mandatory?

kakky

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 6:00 am
In Israel 28 hours of driving instruction are required and since you can NOT drive with parents or anyone else to practice you need to continue with a teacher, it means more lessons. there is also a long wait to get a test so people prefer more lessons to increase there chance of passing the first driving test.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:30 am
I think it was 11 lessons, not much practice in between. But I don't remember the specifics from so far back.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:40 am
A lot. I learnt in country a, didn't have time to take test. Moved to country b, (usa) learnt pretty quickly and passed test on first try. Moved to country c. (current country) Used country B's license until it expired, and it was not transferable so needed to start learning all over again.

There was a long wait for each test of about 6 months and it took me 3 or 4 tries to pass the test . (a very high failure rate on the driving test is normal here). I must have taken more then 20 lessons but really don't remember exactly.

gigi3

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:52 am
I took six lessons and practiced driving with my parents.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:38 am
It really depends on how much access you have to practice in a car.

I took Driver's Education when I was in high school so I had whatever classroom instruction there was plus a few hours of instruction in the car in MANHATTAN - LOL I still remember being frozen while trying to make a left hand turn on West End Avenue. Luckily the car had dual controls.

However, it was my father who taught me how to really drive in Brooklyn. We would go out early on a Sunday morning when there was minimal traffic and drive in empty parking lots and graduate to the streets with minimal traffic. And then onto the Belt Parkway to practice learning how to get on and off a freeway and merge with traffic.

And he taught me to parallel park of course.

I still had to learn to be confident when I started driving on my own and that just comes with experience. I remember how fearful I was when I first drove over the Brooklyn Bridge as I made everybody in the car by quiet so I could concentrate and not drive off the bridge. Very Happy

I still hear his voice when I am driving especially in terms of being a defensive driver as I never assume anyone is going to stop for me or not do something crazy. His adage was: Yes, you can be right - you can be DEAD right. Very Happy

So you don't need 45 hours of lessons UNLESS you have absolutely no access to a car outside of the formal lessons because I definitely think you need at least 45 hours of actual driving to be a minimally competent driver. But there is still going to be a huge difference between a new driver and one who has been driving for years - assuming the experienced driver actually follows safe driving techniques like not taking their eyes off the road - always scanning ahead - not using the phone etc.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:54 am
My dad was a driving instructor after he retired, so he had the car with dual controls. He was also pretty amazing at it and I learned very fast, like 4 thirty min to hour long lessons. I passed the test in my first try, but I didn't really feel competent until I had spent a couple of consecutive hours driving both on the streets and highway.

nomee

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:01 am
I knew nothing about driving, took 6 hours of lessons no practice otherwise. Passed on 1st try!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:20 pm
My question is- how long from when you started driving till you felt comfortable on the thruway? (for NY'ers or whatevers equivalent to your state/city)

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:40 pm
It took me 7 tries to pass the road test and I took lessons between each try. I don't know how much it turned out to be, but way more than it should have been. Also, it's been a few years and I'm still not very comfortable behind the wheel. I basically only drive around my neighborhood doing routine errands where I'm familiar with the route.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
My question is- how long from when you started driving till you felt comfortable on the thruway? (for NY'ers or whatevers equivalent to your state/city)

The sooner you do it the better off you’ll be! In my opinion, Brooklyn and Manhattan driving are way harder and more challenging than highway driving. Once you learn to change lanes there’s not much else you need to know. It’s more relaxing driving than in the city... it’s the fear that holds many people back. Just take the plunge, do it once and you’ll discover that it’s a lot easier than you think.
Signed,
A Lakewood resident who has no issue driving to Brooklyn or Connecticut but who despises driving in Brooklyn and will get out of the drivers seat upon arrival if there is another driver in the car.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:53 pm
I took 8 lessons and then took my first road test and failed . I took 2 more lessons and failed a second time and took 2 more lessons and thankfully passed the third time.

Those lessons were my only times I ever drove in a car.
My husband said he’s willing to pay for lesssons=$$$ but he’s not willing to let me drive his car.. and none of my friends/ family live in Bklyn anymore..

Well as soon as I passed my road test , His gift to me was the second set of keys! Which I’m very thankful for. (He has a work van)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:55 pm
By the way this thread isn't research. I posted with genuine curiosity as we have a wedding a few hours away coming up in a couple months and I was wondering how realistic it was to think we will have a driver in the family by that time. Thank you everyone who took the time to reply.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics