Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Day trip near Brooklyn
1  2  Next

OIF SIMCHAS

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:49 am
Hi. Looking to go out with DH on July 4 for few hours while kids in day camp. Is there any place to hang out that won't have a problem with shmirat einayim? Museum, very quiet beach, nice scenic lookout, tubing? I work every day that my kids are in school, year round and can really use the break. Any suggestions appreciated.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:09 am
Tubing will be a major issue. Most places outside won’t be very tzinius. (Governors island surry rental, Statue of Liberty)

DH and I often going hiking on vacation days. It’s peaceful and quiet and excersize. Or I was thinking about canoeing this year. I don’t know if anything like that is within a reasonable drive from you.

What about a fun museum like liberty science center.
Or the National Geographic underwater virtual reality place.

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:52 am
Do you like gardens? People there are usually dressed decently (comparatively)
You can go to Brooklyn Botanical Garden or NY Botanical Garden.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:59 am
I would probably do a museum and then out to lunch.
I hate the heat but if it’s not too hot the botanical gardens is a good idea.
Maybe the living Torah Museum? I was never there so I don’t know if it’s good but probably no pritzus there.
I once took my kids to the Queens zoo and saw frum couples walking around together (not too many animals..)
Bowling and ice cream?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:04 am
Wherever you go in the summer you can expect pritzus. The point of shemiras einayim is that when you're surrounded by pritzus, you watch your eyes.
We like spending the day at the aquarium, the pritzus is pretty minimal at indoor places. You can go bowling, arcades, out to eat.
You can also expect most places to be packed on July 4th.

OIF SIMCHAS

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:39 am
Thanks for all suggestions. How is the national geographic place? Is it interesting? I prefer places that are accessible by public transit as we don't have a car. Keep'em coming!

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:05 am
My husband took my teenage son to the ocean exhibit at national geographic. They both enjoyed it. Only complaint was that it was very short- they felt it was shorter than advertised

OIF SIMCHAS

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:29 am
What about 9/11 museum? holocaust museum in battery park? anybody been there?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:34 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Wherever you go in the summer you can expect pritzus. The point of shemiras einayim is that when you're surrounded by pritzus, you watch your eyes.
We like spending the day at the aquarium, the pritzus is pretty minimal at indoor places. You can go bowling, arcades, out to eat.
You can also expect most places to be packed on July 4th.

Right but going tubing were 75% of the women are wearing 2 piece bathing suits is different then going to a museum where they are wearing shorts and tanks. It’s just a different level of dress (not by much but still something).

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:35 am
Is dukes garden near you. They have lovely paths and a bike rental. It’s pretty big so once you go out you don’t see too many people.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 3:11 pm
Duke Gardens is great, but not for somebody without a car. National Geographic is expensive and doesn't last so long. Have you looked into Spyscape or Gulliver's Gate, both subway accessible and near places to eat before or after?+

OIF SIMCHAS

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:18 pm
We did Gulliver's last year and it was really nice. Looking for something to that effect!

Leahh

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:50 pm
Where is Duke Gardens?
I googled it and found something that is 7 hours drive from Brooklyn.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:03 pm
Sorry, it's called Duke Farms, in NJ. I just copied the name Duke Gardens from the poster above me.

Leahh

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:16 pm
doctorima wrote:
Sorry, it's called Duke Farms, in NJ. I just copied the name Duke Gardens from the poster above me.

Thanks!

sky

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:18 pm
Dukes farms is great. Has cheap bike rentals and pretty walking paths.

chaya35

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 6:29 pm
Dukes farm sounds interesting. Is it worth traveling from Brooklyn? Is it good for kids ages 7-21? Do you have to be there early on Sundays to get bikes? Can I bring along my own bikes for the ones that I have?

sky

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:25 pm
chaya35 wrote:
Dukes farm sounds interesting. Is it worth traveling from Brooklyn? Is it good for kids ages 7-21? Do you have to be there early on Sundays to get bikes? Can I bring along my own bikes for the ones that I have?

You can bring along your own bikes. I think there were more adult bikes then kid bikes. I was there once when they ran out - it was busy. But I think now there is a 1 hour limit.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:33 pm
They have a decent number of bikes, but I could imagine them all being in use on a summer weekend. We went on a weekday Chol HaMoed and virtually had the place to ourself. You can definitely bring your own bikes, and if you don't need any from them, the entire outing is free.

lcraighten

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:19 am
If you are just going with your husband, Hudson Yards in the city is really nice now and the Highline is a great walking park
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics