Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Air BnB vs hotel

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:34 pm
Pros ? Cons?
We’ve never stayed in an air bnb & I feel like doing something a little different. But only if it’ll be a nice new experience. How does it work with bringing our own food?
Would love some feedback please!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pros ? Cons?
We’ve never stayed in an air bnb & I feel like doing something a little different. But only if it’ll be a nice new experience. How does it work with bringing our own food?
Would love some feedback please!

Depends on family size and family dynamics. If you have easygoing DCs who love sharing rooms with each other, and will be Niddah on vacation/don’t mind not being intimate with DH while away then hotels are likely the cheapest option.

If you have masses of family conflict and want a vacation precisely so you can attempt alone time with DH then a house is the way to go!

With food, it is up to you/your LOR how you Kasher things while away. But presumably unless the Airbnb is marketed as Kosher, bring your own pots etc!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:42 pm
So bnb is always a whole house?
& what if your staying there only for a couple of nights?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It depends.

You can rent an entire house. Or an entire apartment. Or a room. Specify what you want.

Some places have minimum stays. Some don't.

You can ask if the oven is self-cleaning and, if so, run a self-clean cycle. Or you can double-wrap food that you bring with you, or takeout. Or go out to eat.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I personally only look at Airbnb or HomeAway places that are whole houses to myself. Some allow you to stay a few nights. You put the dates you want into the site and other criteria (location, number of bedrooms, mod cons etc) and you can check results.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:00 pm
I like hotels for the daily housekeeping. I def don’t have that at home and am reluctant to give it up on vacation. Vacations to me are all about constant stream of fresh towels and clean linen

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:12 pm
A note of warning:
Last time we booked through Airbnb the hostess canceled the reservation when we were ten minutes away from the home. We were stranded in an unfamiliar state, past midnight, after a long, exhausting trip.
Air bnb was so sluggish and disorganized in their efforts to help us out. We ended up booking into a nearby hotel (after hours of fruitless negotiations with Airbnb reps) it was a real ordeal. And we never got reimbursed for the incident either.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:28 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
A note of warning:
Last time we booked through Airbnb the hostess canceled the reservation when we were ten minutes away from the home. We were stranded in an unfamiliar state, past midnight, after a long, exhausting trip.
Air bnb was so sluggish and disorganized in their efforts to help us out. We ended up booking into a nearby hotel (after hours of fruitless negotiations with Airbnb reps) it was a real ordeal. And we never got reimbursed for the incident either.

Sorry to hear. I have had good experiences on different continents with HomeAway.

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:59 pm
We did airbnb last summer because we were traveling with friends and our children and we wanted outdoor space for the children to have fun, to chill when we needed private time and for barbeques. It was a very nice experience!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:07 pm
My DH hates airbnb. He likes to have a front desk receptionist 24/7. For safety I would click on entire house and superhost. I would not carry jewwlry to the house. I would maybe sleep with my cash on me for safety. I think I would enjoy it a lot but my husband wants hotel always.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:13 pm
If we are planning on being in the area for more than two nights, we use Airbnb. It works for us. We get a nice two bedroom apartment for less than the price of a hotel room and we have a full fridge and privacy. Sometimes I don’t even bother kashering anything and just bring appliances we can plug in (crock pot, air fryer, electric skillet, toaster, or panini maker)

Fortunately, I never had to use their customer service so I can’t speak for that.

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:43 pm
we booked airbnb the last 3 summers. we enjoyed an entire house and backyard to ourselves. gameroom, swingset, jacuzzi. we didn't need to spend much on entertaining the little ones, did one trip a day and rest of the day relaxed in our private spacious house. we made sure to book a home that had amazing reviews, and was mega clean.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 6:46 am
For just DH and I we go to a hotel. We enjoy the housekeeping and the amenities and privacy and the getaway is just for relaxation. We also live in Israel so the kosher breakfast is amazing!
If we travel outside of Israel, just the 2 of us, it would depend on if there's a nice hotel close enough to kosher food or if an apartment would be more convenient for Shabbat, etc.

When we travel with the kids it's usually AirBNB, homeaway, etc. We like to rent a house with a pool. Hotel pools close early. When we have a house we can do activities whenever we want and still have the pool available 24 hrs a day to relax in.
Kids are particular and too old to share beds so it's the only affordable way we can get a separate bed for everyone and also have some semblance of privacy for ourselves. Trips with kids are not vacations for us but at least I don't have to have a child sleeping on a pullout couch in my room. We can also save on food costs when I can kasher a stovetop and bring a frying pan for eggs in the morning and have space to make sandwiches for lunch and a full size fridge to store fruits and veggies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics