Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
A price above rubies-The Movie
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:01 pm
So last night I watched the movie and I have to say that it was pretty good! 10 yrs ago when they made it, it was unheard of of a girl to run off in the end with a puerto rican but unfortunately nowadays, it doesnt surprise me.
Question: I remember hearing about the sheet with the hole in the middle being used in a scene. I didnt see it.

All in all it was an excellent movie.
Oh! and I asked someone about that rumor about the bubbe yitteh, I was told that years ago it was thought to be a true thing. That the girl who ran off into the woods did get pregnant by a demon.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:06 pm
Eek! I thought it was a dreadful movie largely bc it was so ridiculous in a lot of ways.

Not that c'vs marriages are violated and people go off the derech (unfortunately that does happen), but how they had it play out....just weird...so much inaccuracy.

sheet? gimme a break!

amother

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:21 pm
That movie made me sick. I am embarrassed now that I even watched it.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:

Question: I remember hearing about the sheet with the hole in the middle being used in a scene. I didnt see it.

That was in A Stranger Among Us, and it was mentioned, not demonstrated.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:34 pm
I don't remember it well, but I kind of liked it. It showed how someone can be born into a particular life, but is really meant to be somebody completely different. It's hard to ignore that voice that says that you don't belong where you are, doing the things you do. This is true of people born into the secular world, also, but who have the feeling there's something out there more meaningful than the life they're leading, so it can go both ways.

Toot

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 12:48 pm
I saw it a while ago and remember enjoying it, but also thinking that it was very bizarre (the little boy and homeless woman who keep appearing...)

I think the movie did a good job of showing the complexity of the frum community, and how people don't always fit into the roles that have been provided for them.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 1:27 pm
Clarissa wrote:
It showed how someone can be born into a particular life, but is really meant to be somebody completely different. It's hard to ignore that voice that says that you don't belong where you are, doing the things you do.

How can a yid be meant to be something other than a yid who follows Torah and mitzvot? Yes, a person can FEEL this way. But do you really think that Hashem sent Jewish souls down here for the life purpose of eating treif and having affairs with non jews? Please tell me that I misunderstood what you are saying.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 1:45 pm
Yes, you misunderstood what I said. I was referring to the idea that a person can be born into a particular group (say, ultra-Orthodox) but not have the soul for that lifestyle. There are other branches of Judaism, and other communities to be a part of. I know somebody who was raised in a particular Jewish community, but as she grew up, she knew she didn't feel like everyone else there. She's now married to a man who is similar to her, in terms of attitudes and observance level. I don't think this makes her a bad Jew. By the same token, I have a friend who was raised with Jewish parents who led a completely secular life, but she found her way to observance.

Not everybody is meant to be exactly like his or her parents. If you're born into certain sects, the expectation there is that you'll marry someone from the same group at a very young age, and live much as your parents did. For some people this is absolutely the direction they're meant to take. For others, the opposite is true.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that one doesn't fit in, and finding a way to reach a comfort level through learning and keeping one's mind open.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 2:12 pm
You were correct, that sheet thing was in A Stranger Among Us.

Incidentally one of ot he little boys in A Stranger Among Us that was shot as an extra, later was in the Miami Boys Choir Very Happy

chavamom

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 2:29 pm
Clarissa - Just wondering here... would you feel like it was just fine if one of your children became Satmar? How about Neturei Karta followers? I think most people have a line they aren't willing to cross and most people hope their children will follow the life they have been raised in and embrace it.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 2:43 pm
chavamom wrote:
Clarissa - Just wondering here... would you feel like it was just fine if one of your children became Satmar? How about Neturei Karta followers? I think most people have a line they aren't willing to cross and most people hope their children will follow the life they have been raised in and embrace it.

Interesting question! Yes, I'd probably prefer they not travel so far away from us in terms of beliefs that they won't even eat at my table. And I wouldn't want them to join a group that calls for dissolution of Israel. Other than them entering a lifestyle that would make us unable to see each other or stay close, I'd probably try to be reasonably open to them finding their own way.

My father, who was originally from Satmar, would have been amused by the notion of a Satmar within the family, although I don't think he would have been comfortable with the lifestyle.

So I guess I think that if my child wanted to become more frum than I, I would support it, as long as it didn't mean that we'd have to dramatically grow apart as a family.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 2:45 pm
Firstly, Neturei Karta is not a branch of Judaism; they're just a bunch of nuts, many who don't even act like Jews should.

Secondly, yes, most parents would rather a child not cross a line. But people still do it anyway.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 3:26 pm
I don't consider Satmar "more frum".

Clarissa

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 3:39 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Maybe not more frum than you, but they're certainly more frum than I. Smile Anyway, if the point is the question of whether I'd be open to my kids taking a different path, I gave my answer.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 4:07 pm
Quote:

Satmar is so big ka"h and they have all different kinds. They definitely have those that are more frum than most of us but then they also have many that are no frummer than many of us.

Also I hope whoever mentioned Satmar in the same sentence as Neturai Karta I hope you realize that Satmar is just as against them as you and me.

chavamom

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:55 pm
I almost clarified that I knew that Satmar and Nuturei Karta were not one and the same. But I thought it was clear I was giving different examples and showing that most everyone has a line somewhere.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:00 pm
chavamom wrote:
I almost clarified that I knew that Satmar and Nuturei Karta were not one and the same. But I thought it was clear I was giving different examples and showing that most everyone has a line somewhere.

I'm the one you directed this at, and I totally understood your question, which was valid.

chavamom

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:04 pm
Hey, and I should mention it was NOT in the same sentence!!!!

amother

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:24 pm
I was so upset watching this movie. It's so horrible what happens to this woman and how she is treated - and I don't doubt that things like this unfortunately can happen in a frum society. But I was mad because there are so few movies that show a picture of frum life to the world, and here comes another one showing us in a bad light and making us look disgusting. It hurts me that a jew wants to go and make a movie that basically is airing the dirty laundry instead of showing what beauty there is.

I don't know if I expressed my position very well so hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:28 pm
Is there possibly a link to a trasiler on this?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics