Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Another thread about consumerism

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 10:57 pm
I haven't read absolutely every word that has been said on this topic here recently, so I apologise if I am being repetitive.

I think we have to remember that as time passes, things that were considered luxuries just do turn into necessities, and the rate at which this is happening is increasing with every passing year.

I am old enough to remember a great great aunt who was born in 1885. It is a fair bet that she would have remembered someone born in 1820- that's 200 years ago. Now here are some things that the person born in 1820 would have considered a total luxury (because they weren't even invented yet!), but we consider necessities-

Toilet paper
Disposable sanitary towels/ tampons
Indoor plumbing
Piped hot water
Showers
Deodorant
Tissues
Cotton swabs
Antibiotics
BandAids
Tylenol
Zippers
Electric lighting
Electric oven
Ballpoint pens
Sticky tape
Vacuum cleaner
Refrigerator
Freezer
Washing machine

Our kids have a whole slew of items that are just as "necessary" for them as the items listed above are for us. Yet 200 years ago, and in many cases 100 years ago, the items I listed did not exist.

Air-conditioning to a 10 year old may be the same level of necessity as toilet paper is to me. And so to for many other things.

Just
A
Thought.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 11:07 pm
Very true, but there's a difference between things that became necessities because they make things easier/more comfortable (AC, toilet paper etc) and things that are "necessities" because they're fashionable/a dad (certain kinds of sneakers, a new sheitel, a certain game etc)

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 11:07 pm
But this isn't sustainable, and not everyone in the world has these basic necessities.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 11:08 pm
There's a difference between inventions that improve our standard of living (like air conditioning and the internet) and purely decorative luxuries (like fancy clothes and jewelry). I don't think anyone opposes technology. You don't have to walk five miles through the snow, uphill both ways, to get to your one-room unheated schoolhouse. You don't have to die of preventable diseases, either.

But you can have all the modern conveniences and still live modestly.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 11:08 pm
teachkids wrote:
Very true, but there's a difference between things that became necessities because they make things easier/more comfortable (AC, toilet paper etc) and things that are "necessities" because they're fashionable/a dad (certain kinds of sneakers, a new sheitel, a certain game etc)

What she said.

Also, you can't make your kids intothe nebachs. But you can become more conscious and try to dial down your own material needs.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 11:11 pm
ectomorph wrote:
What she said.

Also, you can't make your kids intothe nebachs. But you can become more conscious and try to dial down your own material needs.

Who decides which kids are 'the nebachs'?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics