Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby swallowed her earring

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:48 am
Just noticed my babys earring missing! Cant seem to find it... scared she swallowed it. Should I be concerned?

salt

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just noticed my babys earring missing! Cant seem to find it... scared she swallowed it. Should I be concerned?

Unlikely. How old is she? In order to eat it she'd have to have picked it up in her fingers and put it in her mouth. If she's small she couldn't do that.
If she's big enough to do that, I still think it's not that bad. It can't choke her. It will just come out the other end.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 1:53 am
salt wrote:
Unlikely. How old is she? In order to eat it she'd have to have picked it up in her fingers and put it in her mouth. If she's small she couldn't do that.
If she's big enough to do that, I still think it's not that bad. It can't choke her. It will just come out the other end.

Shes 13 months old. Im scared its going to sting her...

salt

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:57 am
I wouldn't worry, but then I'm not a worrier.

It's not sharp like a needle. If you press the end of an earring on your finger it doesn't hurt or sting. Nothing inside her is going to pierce it hard into her stomach lining. Why should it sting? It will come out in her diaper nice and padded, together with her dinner.

And you don't even know if she swallowed it. More likely that it fell on the floor, somewhere in the house, or even outdoors, and you'll never find it. Doesn't mean she swallowed it. Unless you saw her putting it in her mouth.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:25 am
Give her a couple tablespoons of prune juice, and then a couple tablespoons of butter, or even better, coconut oil.

If anything is in there, it won't be for long!

(No experience with DD doing that, but I've had several small dogs who have eaten non food items off of the floor, and this works like a charm. It saves me a fortune on vet bills.)

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:55 am
salt wrote:
I wouldn't worry, but then I'm not a worrier.

It's not sharp like a needle. If you press the end of an earring on your finger it doesn't hurt or sting. Nothing inside her is going to pierce it hard into her stomach lining. Why should it sting? It will come out in her diaper nice and padded, together with her dinner.

And you don't even know if she swallowed it. More likely that it fell on the floor, somewhere in the house, or even outdoors, and you'll never find it. Doesn't mean she swallowed it. Unless you saw her putting it in her mouth.

I actually had a dr who told me he sent a patient for a sono when mother thought she swallowed an earring. It definitely can pierce places as it goes through the body.

With that it’s unlikely baby swallowed it. One of my kids had theirs fall
Out constantly as a baby and we always founded it within day or two

sky

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:30 am
Call your pediatrician. It may be important to know.
They may use a metal detector to see if it is even in her body and the basic area.
Then do an X-ray or Sono to confirm where in the body it is.
Then you may have to check every bowel movement to confirm when it exited the body.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:34 am
Assuming it is a small earring -
There are 3 options:
It went into her lungs ch"v
It got stuck in her throat
She swallowed it and it went into her GI system

In the first case she would develop a cough, fever, difficulty breathing.
In the 2nd case, she would have trouble swallowing food and liquid, and would vomit.
In the 3rd case, it will come out in her diaper. Can take up to a week.
If no other symptoms are present, assume it went into her stomach and will come out in her diaper.
Or course, she also may have not swallowed it at all.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:06 am
My baby swallowed her earring a while back...
A Hatzala member told us to keep and eye on her- and take her to the ER if any symptoms. and to keep checking her diapers.

Ended up coming out in her diaper 2 days later. Bh.

Anon bec my fam knows this...

Edit to add. We did go for xrays. They saw that it was otw down- so they weren't too concerned.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:10 am
My son swallowed my earring a few years back. He wasn’t a baby, but I still wanted to make sure it didn’t harm him. My ped sent is for an X-ray, so we would know where it is, and then I spent the next couple of days looking through his poop. It really wasn’t a big deal, just super gross.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:39 am
My daughter swallowed her earring when she was abt 11 months old. It came out 2 days later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics