Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Extra bone in foot

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:01 pm
dd has been having pain in her ankle for a number of years. we did the orthoticc route. We did the PT route. Just came back from a new podiatrist today who told us dd has an extra bone fused to another bone right near her ankle and the tendon is not built for that extra bone/protrusion(you can't see it with just your eye, but shows up on xray).
her suggestions were..
-try an air cast for the ankle to relieve pressure and then orthics..
-try this new thing where they take plasma from your blood and inset into tendon to help heal it and then orthotics
-surgery to smooth out the bone, relieve pressure on tendon and then orthotics to keep everything in place...

dd is going to israel this year. I want her to obviously be able to "walk the land". She has been in pain/uncomfortable and has done the orthotic route. I don't get how healing the tendon won't still give it problems if the mechanics of the foot are still off with the extra bone.
My gut leans to the surgery- the doctor was very good at not pressuring us, but the end result if the plasma treatment doesn't work is still surgery- so why not just go for it?

has anyone experienced this?
FYI this is a second opinion who told us the same thing as the first doc..but this doc waaay nicer.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:11 pm
Yes! My son limped around for almost a year until we learned about the extra bone at the orthopedist. The orthopedist told us that surgery is rarely done nowadays and they believe that something kind of set it off to be painful, but the goal is to get the foot back to its original state to be OK with that extra bone. They don't believe that it necessarily means that the bone needs to be removed. My son wore the air cast for a while and then orthotics for a longer while. And thank g-d, after several months, the pain lessened and eventually went away.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Yes! My son limped around for almost a year until we learned about the extra bone at the orthopedist. The orthopedist told us that surgery is rarely done nowadays and they believe that something kind of set it off to be painful, but the goal is to get the foot back to its original state to be OK with that extra bone. They don't believe that it necessarily means that the bone needs to be removed. My son wore the air cast for a while and then orthotics for a longer while. And thank g-d, after several months, the pain lessened and eventually went away.

That's amazing- thanks for sharing!!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 10:21 pm
I totally forgot about this. When I was a teenager I went to get x-rays due to pain in my foot? ankle? don't remember... I remember that the doctor showed us on the x-ray that I have an extra bone in my ankle area - he said it should not pose problems. Never did anything about it. I do often have pain in one foot which feels like from not walking right/not good shoes. I wonder if its got anything to do with the bone...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:50 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I totally forgot about this. When I was a teenager I went to get x-rays due to pain in my foot? ankle? don't remember... I remember that the doctor showed us on the x-ray that I have an extra bone in my ankle area - he said it should not pose problems. Never did anything about it. I do often have pain in one foot which feels like from not walking right/not good shoes. I wonder if its got anything to do with the bone...

Probably- maybe get that checked out- no need to suffer if something can be done about it
: )

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 12:56 pm
Not for ankle/foot problem, but I had PRP done for my hip and knees.
Didn’t help the knees and the hip got MUCH worse.
But this was my experience
Plus it wasn’t covered by insurance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics