Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Trick for kids who can't pronounce "r"
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 3:45 pm
Baby Shark du du dudu ...

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:48 pm
First, get the kid to say "grrrrowl". Encourage them to really get into that growling mode, and explore their inner lion.

Then, have them say "grrrrrabbit" Keep doing this until they are saying "g-rabbit", and then have them drop the "g" in front.

Keep doing this with other "r" words, like "grrrrroad" (g-road), etc.

Make it a silly game, and get excited when they get it right.

If you have a kid who has trouble with the "sh" sound, have them make the quiet sound "shhhhh!" Then add more to the word, like "shhhhhell" (shell) and "shhhhhiny" (shiny). Having them put their finger to their lips to make the "shhh!" helps them to focus on the sound, like they are hushing someone.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:51 pm
she sells sea shells at the sea shore

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:13 pm
Speech pathologist in the house Wave hi howyadoin'.
How old is the kid?

nchr

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:20 pm
What is interesting is that for English speakers, some children mistaken pronounce an r like a w, but with yiddish speakers it is an r like a y.

bk

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:11 pm
Any tips for lisping - the 'th' sound?

sequoia

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:59 pm
bk wrote:

Go to Spain Smile

Castilian Spanish sounds like lisping on purpose. Corathon, abdicathion...

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:37 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
How old is the kid?

Hi there!
How old does my daughter have to be start therapy for a lisp? She’s almost four and I would like to start as early as possible.
Thx!

soap suds

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:49 pm
nchr wrote:
What is interesting is that for English speakers, some children mistaken pronounce an r like a w, but with yiddish speakers it is an r like a y.

The Yiddish R sound is very different than the English R sound, so it makes sense to substitute differently.
My 8 yr old DS has been saying the Yiddish R since he was 2, but still substitutes W for the English R.

bsy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:41 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Hi there!
How old does my daughter have to be start therapy for a lisp? She’s almost four and I would like to start as early as possible.
Thx!

5 at the earliest, 6-7. At age 4 its developmental.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:46 pm
what about the letter h? my 3 and half year old leaves it out and cannot seem to make the breath required to get the sound out properly. (ex happy is appy)

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
How old is the kid?

She's 8, keneinahora, and loves to sing baby shark.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:48 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Hi there!
Thx!

What kind of lisp? "Thoap" for "soap"? 7 years old.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:51 pm
southernbubby wrote:
She's 8, keneinahora, and loves to sing baby shark.

The /r/ sound usually self corrects by age 8. What does she say instead? And does she make the switch in every position? (Like when the word starts with /r/, vs when it ends in /r/, or if its attached to another letter like in the word "bread"?)

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:53 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
what about the letter h? my 3 and half year old leaves it out and cannot seem to make the breath required to get the sound out properly. (ex happy is appy)

Are you Israeli? French? Because that's a dialectical difference, and not a speech sound disorder.
If you are American, you can probably get him approved for speech therapy. Does he always leave it out? Even in middle of a word? Some at home tips: hold up a mirror and show him the fog that comes when you say /h/. And then have him try. And then attach it to a word.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:55 pm
bk wrote:

How old? And what does s/he say instead of /th/? And which /th/? Is it the voiceless /th/, like in the word "think"? Or the voiced /th/, like in the word "them"?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
The /r/ sound usually self corrects by age 8. What does she say instead? And does she make the switch in every position? (Like when the word starts with /r/, vs when it ends in /r/, or if its attached to another letter like in the word "bread"?)

Unless she makes a concerted effort, she mispronounces the "r" regardless of where it appears but she pronounces as a "u" more than as a "w".

ETA, she has orthodontics for a severe bite problem

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Unless she makes a concerted effort, she mispronounces the "r" regardless of where it appears but she pronounces as a "u" more than as a "w".

ETA, she has orthodontics for a severe bite problem

The bite problem is not affecting the mispronunciation, so that's good news.

In beginning of word, she says /w/ ("red" becomes "wed")
At the end of the word, she says "uh" (sister" becomes "sista")

Right?

First see what's easiest for her. Is it easier to say /r/ in the beginning of the word? Middle? End? When its attached to another sound?

Show her in the mirror that her lips have to be in a square shape. Not a tiny "o"! Move that tongue up and back! Now make a super strong sound very loud!
Explain the difference in the sounds and how your mouth looks when you make it. Also, the /w/ is a weak sound. Let's make a super strong rrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Stay away from words that have /o/ after the /r/ (like robot, roll, rope) because then you have to make your lips into an o, and it's too hard. Rather, stick with sounds where you have to open your mouth wide after the rrrrrr (like ran, rat, red)

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:44 am
re letter h - I'm American. Will it self correct or needs speech therapy. also can I get approved for her at age 3 and half? thanks for your insight!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:59 am
I've had very good luck with 3 and 4 year olds.

I had speech therapy when I was 6, and hated it. It was too much like work. I prefer to start earlier, so it's more of a game.

For the "h" sound, try to get him to make an exaggerated laugh sound, "Ha Ha Ha". Then add that to the beginning of words. "Ha Ha Ha Happy!" (Hippo, horse, house, etc.)

Then you can move onto "In Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen." Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics