Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this dangerous??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:54 pm
My one year old has croup. The doctor prescribed prednisolone sol. I gave it to her like 5 hours ago now she didn’t stop crying so I gave her Motrin. Is it dangerous?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 8:55 pm
Call your doctor, or a 24 hour hotline nurse. This is NOT a question for Imamother!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:06 pm
Is your question if it's safe to give her Motrin and Prednisone on the same day for croup? No, it's not dangerous. The question is why is she crying. Does she have fever? Is she in pain of some sort? Is she having trouble breathing? What does her breathing sound like? The crying for hours doesn't typically come along with croup.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:08 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Is your question if it's safe to give her Motrin and Prednisone on the same day for croup? No, it's not dangerous. The question is why is she crying. Does she have fever? Is she in pain of some sort? Is she having trouble breathing? What does her breathing sound like? The crying for hours doesn't typically come along with croup.

Thanks! Yes that was my question!
She isn’t crying for that long only like half hour and doesn’t have high fever. I gave her Motrin to take the edge off the pain in case she has any.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:19 pm
Call the dr. She might need another dose if she's still uncomfortable. Some cases of croup can get very severe and require hospitalization.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:47 pm
How does her breathing sound? Is she pulling in at the neck when she breathes? These are important things with croup. You can turn on a hot shower and bring her in the bathroom with you to breathe in the steam for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can hold her right by an open freezer door. Hot steam and/or cold air is good for croup.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:49 pm
How does her breathing sound? Is she pulling in at the neck when she breathes? These are important things with croup. You can turn on a hot shower and bring her in the bathroom with you to breathe in the steam for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can hold her right by an open freezer door. Hot steam and/or cold air is good for croup.

Thanks the breathing was fine thank God but something was bothering her. She ended falling asleep soon after I gave her Motrin

pizza4

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:50 pm

This. Turn on the shower on hot and sit with her there for a little. The steam helps a lot. That's what I always do when my dd gets croup.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 9:53 pm
My pediatrician recommends cold air for croup. In the winter we just go outside. In summer just stand directly in front of open freezer . They breathe better after a few minutes.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:48 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
My pediatrician recommends cold air for croup. In the winter we just go outside. In summer just stand directly in front of open freezer . They breathe better after a few minutes.

My pediatrician and Hatzalah both told me first steam shower for a few min then immediately cold air for as long it's needed. They claim the steam shower makes the cold air more effective. (Forgot the logic behind it).
Op, monitor her breathing. Croup can be very scary. BTDT multiple times. Some of my kids are just prone to croup. They outgrow it slowly as they grow up b"h.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics