Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How/why did Elana become a name?
Previous  1  2

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:22 pm
cm wrote:
Yes, it is.

I would pronounce "Ilana" with a short I sound. Very similar to "Elana."

I have never seen "Elaina" spelled with an "ai" in the middle, but I suppose it could be.

I spelled it how you pronounce it. I was just pointing out that that pronunciation is not the same name as Ilana or Alana or Elana or however you want to spell it....

turca

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:13 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Long e
People will end up calling her eeelaainah a Spanish nAme

No. Ilana/Elana is totally jewish. It’s not Spanish at all ( I’m Mexican). Maybe it sounds unfamiliar to you because it’s not a common name in your circle.
You are referring to the name “Helena”, there is no long “ee” in Spanish, and the H is mute.
Helena is Greek. It’s a popular name in catholic countries ( all Latin America) because of some saint Helena.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:02 am
turca wrote:
No. Ilana/Elana is totally jewish. It’s not Spanish at all ( I’m Mexican). Maybe it sounds unfamiliar to you because it’s not a common name in your circle.
You are referring to the name “Helena”, there is no long “ee” in Spanish, and the H is mute.
Helena is Greek. It’s a popular name in catholic countries ( all Latin America) because of some saint Helena.

Elaina (that’s the pronunciation, not sure the actual spelling) is a name as well.
E (like elephant)
lai (like lay)
na

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:04 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Elaina (that’s the pronunciation, not sure the actual spelling) is a name as well.
E (like elephant)
lai (like lay)
na

I googled it. It is spelled Elena. With a Spanish accent both Es are pronounced like elephant, but with an American accent, the second E is more like a long a.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:11 am
How did Chaim become a name? Who names a child "life"? There are plenty of Hebrew names that don't appear in Tanach. Not to mention Yiddish names. Someone liked the sound of ia word and used it as a name.

You don't need permission to name a girl Ilana any more than you need permission to name her Tova or Yaffa. (Or Gittel or Shaindel.)

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:44 am
Elaina is a name too. I know an Elena and an Elaina. I'm guessing that Elaina is a variation of Elaine, and not related to Elena, which I believe is a variation of Helena and used in Russian and Spanish speaking countries. Neither is related to Elana/Ilana. And Alana is the feminine of Alan.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:07 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
How did Chaim become a name? Who names a child "life"? There are plenty of Hebrew names that don't appear in Tanach. Not to mention Yiddish names. Someone liked the sound of ia word and used it as a name.

You don't need permission to name a girl Ilana any more than you need permission to name her Tova or Yaffa. (Or Gittel or Shaindel.)

I don't feel that I need permission, just like to understand the origin in order to understand the essence. "Life" or "blessing" makes more sense than "tree." My other kids, who have Tanach names, were also researched. I studied the person in Tanach before naming. Just my meshugas.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't feel that I need permission, just like to understand the origin in order to understand the essence. "Life" or "blessing" makes more sense than "tree." My other kids, who have Tanach names, were also researched. I studied the person in Tanach before naming. Just my meshugas.

So, although I'm OK with Elana (could have been much worse Rolling Eyes ), like you I also gave my own kids biblical names. I like to name after a tanachic character that had qualities that they can strive to emulate.
Still, since you like the name, I don't really get your hesitation when there are literally hundreds of male and female names in modern Hebrew connoting trees, parts of trees, flowers, shrubs, landscape features, agricultural produce etc. - not to mention water names and names from the animal kingdom.
How is Elana different from any of those myriad names?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:45 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
So, although I'm OK with Elana (could have been much worse Rolling Eyes ), like you I also gave my own kids biblical names. I like to name after a tanachic character that had qualities that they can strive to emulate.
Still, since you like the name, I don't really get your hesitation when there are literally hundreds of male and female names in modern Hebrew connoting trees, parts of trees, flowers, shrubs, landscape features, agricultural produce etc. - not to mention water names and names from the animal kingdom.
How is Elana different from any of those myriad names?

It's not different, I would ask about any name. Even if I knew 50 Elanas (I know about 6) I would still look into it. DH suggested a few Yiddish names and I told him I wouldnt even consider it if he didnt know the meaning and origin.
Thank you all for your input. I'm leaning strongly toward the name.

Learning

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:03 pm
In israel you pronounce it eelana. In the US it’s elana

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:25 pm
My friend Elana is named after hr grandmother who was named Elana in Poland before WW2.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names