Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Bungalow colony- safe?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 7:33 am
I live out of town, so I'm asking out of curiosity. No wars, please! Very Happy
With the whole measles outbreak, and everyone going upstate, is it safe for someone who is not immune to go?
Not immune= anyone who cant get vaxxed, immunocompromised, too young for vax, pregnant, antivax, etc.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 7:46 am
Oh, I thought you were asking about the flimsy locks ( if any) and the screened windows...,,

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:19 am
What?! I dont go to a bungalow colony. Do people really live in a hut for 2 months with no good locks? Voluntarily?
Anyway, not the point. Not planning on ever going.
Just was curious about the entire measles-affected area smashing into a tinier area all together and on too of each other. Is THAT a place that's safe for someone who's not immune to go to?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:41 am
From what I saw from spending Shavous and several recent Shabbosim in the bungalows, anyone can come, vaccinated or not. The only reason that I know this is because people talk about "them" in worried whispers.
As long as they don't have the measles, they can't transmit it but there is nothing to stop someone who is incubating measles from coming into the colonies.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:26 am
So what would someone who isn't immune do? Solitary confinement in their bungalow?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what would someone who isn't immune do? Solitary confinement in their bungalow?

Same thing that you do in the city

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:45 am
southernbubby wrote:
Same thing that you do in the city

I'm assuming that means "yes- solitary confinement". How fun.

mlc

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:04 am
What would be different in a bungalow colony?
Nothing there would sooner incubate germs or alter immunity ....
Unless the other option was for kids to not attend day camp and stay home in solitary confinement ?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:06 am
I'm going to the country and my children aren't vaccinated. So are plenty of my friends

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:08 am
My kids actually had the measles already but nobody asked me if they did and I didn't take titers. So that's the point. Same like in city. We are here to stay.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:31 am
You may be there to stay but some of the colony gossip is about you.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:43 am
If someone in a colony has the measles then it is very highly likely that everyone who isn't immune will get it. Bungalow colony life is communal living unlike the city and it is impossible to keep people isolated. If someone in my colony comes down with the measles I would hope that they will go home until hey are no more contagious.

That being said if anti vaxxers go to the colony with people who have similar views then they might just have a miserable summer. Unless it'll just be one big measles party

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:44 am
And now I'm imagining ads enticing people who want to be able to send their kids to school in September to join certain colonies where measles is rampant.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:49 am
There actually is a certain small dilapidated colony full of unvaccinated kids in s fallsburg

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:11 am
The health care available in Sullivan county is not the same as in the city. The DOH there is going to absolutely love the outbreak Wink and of coarse the anti-Semites will have a field day trashing the Jews for infecting their community.
To the anti-vaxers who are there to stay, you may need lawyers if you infect the wrong people.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:28 am
Why worry about non Jews hating, there already jews hating everywhere. Gossiping, publicly embarrassing, shunning, excluding...
Hating jews are causing way more damage I guarantee.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:34 am
Is measles still spreading in NY?

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:26 am
I know of more than a few colonies that are not allowing non vaxxers. Thise that are rented out are just not renting to.non vaxxed, and yes they ask about it. I know someone who was told no despite her begging and building them. Some other places, where each unit is separately owned, everyone has to bring signed proof of immunity/vaccination, otherwise they cannot use any public facilities. So no shul, mikva, pool, day camp, cheder, playground... basically, very isolated.

So no, not everywhere is it hefker. Enough people are just fed up with the lack of consideration from anti vaxxers in not isolating when necessary so the outbreak would stop. They are taking matters into their own hands where they can.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 7:26 am
naomi2 wrote:
Why worry about non Jews hating, there already jews hating everywhere. Gossiping, publicly embarrassing, shunning, excluding...
Hating jews are causing way more damage I guarantee.

Um, if someone is transmitting an illness to fetuses and infants, are you going to welcome that person with love and acceptance?
Ask your own Rav but you are allowed to warn others of danger.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 7:28 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Is measles still spreading in NY?

In Rockland county it has been continuous but it is likely to be the result of deliberate exposures.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics