Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At what age is it ok to give water?
Previous  1  2

yerushamama

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:51 pm
Giving water in place of a feeding is a problem for very young babies, as is large amounts of water. I do give my babies sips of boiled water from a very young age (total of about a teaspoon a day, spread out throughout the day).

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:58 pm
Yerushamama, who's talking about giving water instead of a feeding?? It's self understood that this is not OP's question.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:14 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Yerushamama, who's talking about giving water instead of a feeding?? It's self understood that this is not OP's question.

If you give the baby too much water, that will be too filling and you won't be able to give a feeding afterward.

yerushamama

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:47 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

I was trying to give a bit of perspective about amounts. I am sorry if it was not clear - I haven't fully woken up yet. Smile

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 4:48 pm
Birth.
Seriously, did you never notice that you're adding water to the formula powder?

Metukah

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 6:16 pm
At 8 months it's perfectly safe to gave babies water.

But, for those of you who believe it is safe to give babies under 6 months water, read this;

https://www.babycenter.com/404.....88.bc

Metukah

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 6:20 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Birth.
Seriously, did you never notice that you're adding water to the formula powder?

Seriously, are you comparing a concoction of milk powder and water, to just plain water? Banging head Banging head Scratching Head Scratching Head

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 10:34 pm
Formula has the electrolytes balanced. That's why it's dangerous to dilute it for tiny kidneys

unihockey

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 11:14 pm
I gave small amounts of sterile water to to my babies as young as two months old, but I did it in tiny sips from a regular cup on purpose right before nursing on fast days, just to be sure they were taking only what they really had to from my own liquid stores.

Otherwise, wait until they're eating solids. Also unsweetened decaf tea from that point as well, which my dentist says has natural fluoride in it for tooth development/health.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 12:07 am
unihockey wrote:
I gave small amounts of sterile water to to my babies as young as two months old, but I did it in tiny sips from a regular cup on purpose right before nursing on fast days, just to be sure they were taking only what they really had to from my own liquid stores.

Is this something you cleared with a pediatrician? In general it can be extremely dangerous for young infants to drink water.

unihockey

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 6:41 am
No, it was "folk advice" - what is the risk with tiny sips of water a couple days per year?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 8:44 am
unihockey wrote:
No, it was "folk advice" - what is the risk with tiny sips of water a couple days per year?

Water affects their electrolyte levels very differently from older babies/ adults, so a doctor should be consulted to determine what is a safe amount (if any).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics