Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Preschool Davening

mc

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:59 pm
I'm searching for tried and true tips for creating a successful davening circle with four year olds. I find that whereas teaching things like Parsha, Yamim Tovim, etc. hold the children's attention, davening doesn't because it is the same thing each day.

smss

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:31 pm
Yes very true! Stickers can go a long way. Keep it SHORT. And try to include motions where you can so they have something to do with their hands.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:36 pm
Not just motions, they need to be physically active. Whole body movements and getting up and down. And definitely keep it very brief.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:30 am
I think some kids love the routine and predictability of it

mc

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:42 am
Glad to know I'm not alone:-)
Agree, some kids like the routine, it's the ones that don't...
How long do you think is a reasonable davening time? The Judaic "learning" circle needs to happen at the same time so that's another factor here, and I don't want to "lose" the kids interest..

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:47 am
In Israel the kids sit in a ״ח״ on benches. I think it’s great since they could swing their legs when they get fidgety.
They may dance around, then return to their spots.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:57 am
Make it very short and slowly buld up. Make sure to incorporate lots of movements.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 8:55 am
My 4 year old brought home a siddur that her Morah had made. It's very cute and interactive! It's laminated and held together by ring clips. Each page has a picture of DD doing or holding something to do with a tefila and there are attached hands or other objects to manipulate like to cover eyes for saying shema or whatever. They also stand up for some things and then sit back down and do motions so they're not just sitting still the whole time. And they give tzedakah at the end with a whole song.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics