Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Advice needed re finances

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:38 am
Hi
Thank you for reading this.
I'm not asking for your help financially but am asking if anyone has any advice that can help me re my financial situation.
We are currently going through court proceedings (not going into details on here).
This has been going on for 2 years. For the first year and half we had government lawyers trying to help. Unfortunately they didn't help us to move forward towards our goal. We now have a private lawyer and thankfully things are slowly moving forward towards our goal.
The problem is that the private lawyer, court, barrister fees etc are all astronomical.
We have an estimate from just the lawyer for $30,000+, on top of that is the court fees, barrister fees etc.
My DH and I are both doing our best to work as much as we can but understandably we are drowning.
Thankfully I have an amazing therapist that is helping me to get through these massive challenges.
We've turned to a few Rabbonim and we've turned to our friends and family.
We are immensely grateful for every single $ that we have received. We really appreciate everyone's help and support.
In total I think we've managed to collect around $4/5,000. This is a huge amount and we're so grateful to those that have helped it to happen.
Question is if anyone has any ideas or any advice as to how we can raise the rest of the money.
We can't borrow it from gemachim as its way too much and we don't have enough income to pay back the gemachim.

They say that those that are going through huge challenges can give brochos so I give you all a brocho that you should never know of such challenges and that you should have a good, calm relaxing shabbos.
Many thanks

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 7:07 am
Can you sell part of your cause of action?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 11:32 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Can you sell part of your cause of action?

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what you are asking?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:21 pm
can you make a deal with the lawyer that they'll get paid after you win or are you the "defendant"?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:41 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
can you make a deal with the lawyer that they'll get paid after you win or are you the "defendant"?

How would that help? How will I have any more money then?

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How would that help? How will I have any more money then?

I hope the settlement that you are seeking is more than the cost of your legal fees, otherwise, what's the point?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:49 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I hope the settlement that you are seeking is more than the cost of your legal fees, otherwise, what's the point?

We arent seeking any money. It isn't that type of hearing.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 12:54 pm
If it's to keep someone out of jail, try Alef or a Pidyon Shevuyim fund.

Crowd funding is probably another option, but it is a pretty competitive field.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:23 pm
Oiy. I know a woman going thru this to get custody of her step daughter. No advice it just breaks my heart. Hashem should give u the koach to continue!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:28 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
If it's to keep someone out of jail, try Alef or a Pidyon Shevuyim fund.

Crowd funding is probably another option, but it is a pretty competitive field.

Are there people that do crowd funding for others and take a fee? Is there such an organisation? Anyone know of one?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:29 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Oiy. I know a woman going thru this to get custody of her step daughter. No advice it just breaks my heart. Hashem should give u the koach to continue!

Omein. Thank you. I appreciate that.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 2:46 pm
TheChesedFund and GoFundMe are popular crowdfunding options. For a time-limited campaign, Charidy is very good.

But they all require a lot of work, because someone needs to be nudging people to give. Usually through calling people.

You would probably need to go through a shul or other organization so people who donate are assured their tzedakah is going to the right place.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 3:07 pm
TheChesedFund and GoFundMe are popular crowdfunding options. For a time-limited campaign, Charidy is very good.

But they all require a lot of work, because someone needs to be nudging people to give. Usually through calling people.

You would probably need to go through a shul or other organization so people who donate are assured their tzedakah is going to the right place.

I have tried a chesed fund. I included a letter from my Rav and I got my campaign verified. It did bring in some money but not much at all in comparison to what we need. It's awful to be asking people on your own behalf. I sent it out to hundreds of people and got it put on social media. Unfortunately social media didn't really help.
I really need someone to advise me. Someone that knows what they are doing. I've been looking for that someone but can't find him/her.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 6:22 pm
I wish I knew the right person, but honestly the best way is to literally call everyone. If they say they can't give, ask if they can give at least $5.

Whoever is calling does not need to identify themselves, just say they are calling on behalf of a family going through _____, that you must reach $______, that the campaign is supported by Rav _____, can they please participate.

Social media won't cut it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 29 2019, 7:52 pm
I wish I knew the right person, but honestly the best way is to literally call everyone. If they say they can't give, ask if they can give at least $5.

Whoever is calling does not need to identify themselves, just say they are calling on behalf of a family going through _____, that you must reach $______, that the campaign is supported by Rav _____, can they please participate.

Social media won't cut it.

I think you are right. I need to find someone to do these calls on my behalf as it's too much for me emotionally to do it for myself.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics