Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Ben and Jerry’s non dairy
Previous  1  2

Forrealx

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 2:19 am
I've heard from a Chabad rav that you can eat it after fleish but on dairy plates. DH followed my Dutch minhag to wait an hour (cause we went living in the NL) so... it is not a big problem for us.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 2:37 am
challahchallah wrote:
That’s what I thought too, until I came across this:
https://I.imgur.com/8af4KeQ.jpg

ETA: the picture is of an OU-DE I came across on a non-dairy ice cream, so it clearly does exist. I’m not sure how to get the image to imbed directly.

Here ya go :

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:59 am
I was surprised to learn that OU-DE still exists as I thought they eliminated it a while back. But I then found a petition from four years ago saying that previously the OU had started labeling such products as dairy instead of DE, the petition asked them to go back to using "DE".

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:15 pm
mlc wrote:
I reached out. In meantime I would like to hear what others have been told and do

You should not want to know others do because there are lots of people here and elsewhere who don’t do what’s right! Ask your rabbi!

brat_islava

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 2:24 pm
Actually OU's new policy is that all DE is now D

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:03 pm
brat_islava wrote:

New as of when?

mlc

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 5:57 pm
brat_islava wrote:

That is true , but if you email their web service they tell you whether it is dairy or just dairy equipment. They say they took away the DE symbol due to confusions

In this case , Ben and Jerry’s is actually certified by Kof-K but I am told the same applies

miami85

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:34 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
Also, just for the record, there is no OU-DE.

I did see it for the first time recently,

We do have Ben and Jerry's OU-DE and SO-Delicious that is dairy free after meat meals.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 5:43 am
brat_islava wrote:

cbsp wrote:
New as of when?

At least four years ago, as that was the date of the petition I posted a link to earlier in this thread. I also thought that was still in effect, but unless cbsp's photo of an OU-DE (post right before my previous one) was on a very old product they may have changed again.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:51 pm
imasoftov wrote:
At least four years ago, as that was the date of the petition I posted a link to earlier in this thread. I also thought that was still in effect, but unless cbsp's photo of an OU-DE (post right before my previous one) was on a very old product they may have changed again.

That picture was originally mine, and nope, not a super old product. I bought it just a few weeks ago (certainly after Pesach).

unihockey

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 3:51 am
I found that the "Silk" Almond milk suddenly had an OU-D with the same ingredients that had previously had either "DE" or just "OU" (I don't remember) and I asked my Rav if I could still use it to bake parve, and he called the OU and found out "Yes" - I don't remember the details of why, but the ingredients were all 100% parve (though I did not decide this for myself).

BTW if anyone else uses this, remember that some people are allergic to nuts and disclose that there is almond in the dessert.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:09 am
unihockey wrote:
I found that the "Silk" Almond milk suddenly had an OU-D with the same ingredients that had previously had either "DE" or just "OU" (I don't remember) and I asked my Rav if I could still use it to bake parve, and he called the OU and found out "Yes" - I don't remember the details of why, but the ingredients were all 100% parve (though I did not decide this for myself).

BTW if anyone else uses this, remember that some people are allergic to nuts and disclose that there is almond in the dessert.

1. I asked my husband (kashrus pro who currently works for the OU) about this. He said the DE designation was reinstated a year or so ago so as to give individuals with allergies more options.

As to the almond milk you found, he wonders if it's an old package (unlikely) or made at a different facility (more likely)

2. I checked the Ben & Jerry website and it clearly states that the hechsher on their non dairy pints are Chof K DE (not OU). ChofK has always maintained a DE category.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics