Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation for couple who hasn’t gone on vacation in years
1  2  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:13 am
Hi.
My husband and I haven’t gone on vacation in years. We would like to go away for a few days at the end of the summer. We can fly up to four hours. But it will only be about three days. I’m not looking to spend a lot of money. But I would definitely spend on at least one attraction. The rest of the things I do should be free or cheap. Any and all ideas are welcome. We have someone to watch all the kids so this is a real opportunity for me and I don’t want to waste it. Thanks!

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:29 am
Is weather, Zika or kosher food availability a factor?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:39 am
What sort of activities do you like to do?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:40 am
4 hour flight - what region are you flying from?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:44 am
What about Cancun or Aruba?
Colorado
Arizona

DVOM

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:46 am
I'm so happy for you!!

I looooove planning vacations! But I need more details:

Where are you flying from?
Are you going to be away over shabbos?
Do you want easy access to kosher restaurants or are you ok cooking/grilling for yourselves?
Do you like beaches, history/culture, adventure activities?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:49 am
DVOM wrote:
I'm so happy for you!!

I looooove planning vacations! But I need more details:

Where are you flying from?
Are you going to be away over shabbos?
Do you want easy access to kosher restaurants or are you ok cooking/grilling for yourselves?
Do you like beaches, history/culture, adventure activities?

Speaking of, how did your trip go?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 9:53 am
Definitely check out Bethlehem NH
Tons of beautiful free nature things to do
But stay in motel and bring your food
Avoid the new Arlington, it's VERY VERY EXPENSIVE...

DVOM

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:02 am
tichellady wrote:
Speaking of, how did your trip go?

Don't want to hijack the thread...

but totally and completely awesome, thanks for asking Sunny

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 10:35 am
I'd recommend finding a nice place in the Caribbean. You'll have to pay for flights and lodging, but you can totally spend 3 days there without spending another penny. Get a nice private villa (even better with a pool) and just enjoy that and a quiet spot on the beach. You can definitely do watersports - jetski, snorkel, horseback riding in the ocean (!!), but no need. DH and I did this many years ago and it was amazing!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:07 am
tichellady wrote:
Is weather, Zika or kosher food availability a factor?

I want nice weather. Zika not a factor. Kosher food a plus, not a must:

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:07 am
I’m not op-but had a question too if I may ask
I’m Pregnant bh so zika is an issue, thinking of doing Florida or Cancun -I think the rest down south is Zika prone.
I want kosher food available (usually I’ll go anywhere and take along but with my pregnancy I want normal fresh kosher food available)
Is Florida too hot in July? Is Cancun too hot?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:08 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I want nice weather. Zika not a factor. Kosher food a plus, not a must:

Would you go north to Canada? There’s mont tremblant. Gorgeous place
Eta-there is a chabad there

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:09 am
doctorima wrote:
I'd recommend finding a nice place in the Caribbean. You'll have to pay for flights and lodging, but you can totally spend 3 days there without spending another penny. Get a nice private villa (even better with a pool) and just enjoy that and a quiet spot on the beach. You can definitely do watersports - jetski, snorkel, horseback riding in the ocean (!!), but no need. DH and I did this many years ago and it was amazing!

But all of those activities cost money, right?

It’s not part of the resort?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 11:22 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Hi.
My husband and I haven’t gone on vacation in years. We would like to go away for a few days at the end of the summer. We can fly up to four hours. But it will only be about three days. I’m not looking to spend a lot of money. But I would definitely spend on at least one attraction. The rest of the things I do should be free or cheap. Any and all ideas are welcome. We have someone to watch all the kids so this is a real opportunity for me and I don’t want to waste it. Thanks!

Cape Cod. It won't be as crowded at the end of the summer, as New England schools tend to go back the last week in August. And there's plenty to do. Whale Watch (costs money), hiking on the national seashore, Sandwich Glass Museum, biking, miniature golf.

Try AirBnB for a house that's on the beach. You might be the only ones there.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:00 pm
Dh and I once rented a villa with a pool in st marteen. Beautiful, very scenic place. Plane and rental werent expensive and we ate pomegranates double packaged meals for 3 days and the food was delicious! Was a really enjoyable trip!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 12:03 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

There are resorts that include some water activities complimentary, usually things like snorkel gear, kayaks, and stand-up paddleboards. Motorized things like jetskis cost extra. Or as I said you could get your own private villa (ideally with a pool) and then just hang out there and at the beach. If you want to splurge on one paid activity as you said in OP, there will be a number of great options.

You could also look into going to a high-end program like KMR for a few nights, which would include all your meals, or a few days in the Rockies (flying into Denver and picking up food there), or better yet, the Canadian Rockies (via Calgary).

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:06 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

When we were in Punta Cana, anything motorized was an additional fee (but quite cheap), while anything not motorized was free.

OTOH, I'm not recommending the DR these days.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:12 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Hi.

Re: the bolded - we need one of those! All these suggested destinations sound amazing but sadly we can’t do child free at the moment.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:14 pm
I have not been but have heard wonderful things about Portland, Maine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics