Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Low Carb Friday and Shabbos menu needed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 1:43 pm
He-yo.

Trying to do low-carb (for PCOS) but I find that Friday is my worst day of the week, even more than shabbos.

I don't know what to eat during the day so that I'm satisfied and not starving by the time the seuda comes, because then I cheat with challah and kugel.

I'm also unsure of shabbos day... So far I've been eating the meat out of the chulent but don't know what to do the rest of the afternoon - shaloshudes, snacks etc.

Does anyone have a lo-carb sample menu? Ideas?

TIA

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 1:45 pm
Try veggies and salads

geemum

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 2:41 pm
Friday lunch u can make a big veg omelette with cheese...really filling
Snack on carrot and cucumber in hummus

Shabbos day....
Egg with salad for starter
Main course have cold grilled chicken, brocolli kugel (carb free one from Jamie geller)
Desert homemade stewed apples

Good luck

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 2:44 pm
I’m not an expert on low carb but here are some ideas ( not sure if they are low carb enough)

Friday lunch: salmon with salad,avacado, lemon and olive oil, hard boiled eggs, nuts,

Shabbos: grilled chicken and roasted vegetables, hearts of palm, avacado and cherry tomato salad, zoodles with pesto or garlic oil

Snacks: yogurt with berries, roasted butternut squash, cucumbers and celery with hummus, roasted chickpeas, nuts, peanut butter and baby carrots

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:07 pm
Why do people need to be told this?
Is it not self evident?
Open a cook book see what you like, and avoid things with carbs.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 3:11 pm
Its sooooo hard not to cheat!
Maybe dont make potato kugel, and make cauliflower or broccoli kugel instead. Make food rich in protein, like chicken breast and salmon. Make a deli salad. Baked apple for dessert.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 7:14 pm
you can do Fri during day low carb yogurt, low carb cheesecake/snack. Cottage cheese, string cheese.

Big salad with cubed avocado. deli salad. low carb any veg kugel. carrot chips. tuna mixed with salad. low carb ww wrap panini.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:06 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Why do people need to be told this?
Is it not self evident?
Open a cook book see what you like, and avoid things with carbs.

Sometimes, people need to not say the things they think out loud.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He-yo.

Trying to do low-carb (for PCOS) but I find that Friday is my worst day of the week, even more than shabbos.

I don't know what to eat during the day so that I'm satisfied and not starving by the time the seuda comes, because then I cheat with challah and kugel.

I'm also unsure of shabbos day... So far I've been eating the meat out of the chulent but don't know what to do the rest of the afternoon - shaloshudes, snacks etc.

Does anyone have a lo-carb sample menu? Ideas?

TIA

Doing low carb does not mean starving yourself. Eat when you are hungry. Avoid starches, grains, sugar and sweetener as well as fruit (because your body does not know the difference between fruit carbs and any other. Every other food, can be on the menu. Eat til you are satiated. If you are washing for bread, eat only the amount you need to halachically.

No one starves in our house.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 8:25 pm
We make this cauliflower not potato kugel all the time for shabbat. My kids love it!

http://www.gininthekitchen.com.....ides/

I think the trick is not to have too much challah around to begin with and have some crispy crudite on the table with the challah. We love jicama sticks, cucumbers, daikon radish or even sliced turnips! Then you can spread guacamole or olive dip or anything low carb on them and feel like you are joining in the challah portion of the meal.

For the rest of the time - it is important to be prepared. Make a dozen hard boiled eggs or egg salad before shabbat. Have canned tuna, salmon or sardines in your pantry ready to go. Vegetable kugels are really easy to make low carb also - spinach, broccoli, mushroom etc. Make quiche crustless. Have lots of salad ingredients on hand.

booboomom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 9:05 pm
The trick is to make sure to eat something every few hours.
Breakfast - scrambled eggs or a veggie omelet, with one slice of low carb toast, if needed.
Snack: Greek yogurt - plain, whole milk, if available. At a couple of strawberries or blueberries, and some crushed nuts for crunch if desired.
Lunch: pizza made on one of those high fiber, low cal wraps. Or tuna and peppers, pickles or cucumbers.
Snack: apples and string cheese or nut butter. Or canteloupe and cottage cheese. Or a frozen Greek yogurt bar.
If the meal is late, eat a few nuts or jerky right before shabbos. Or try a&h new no nitrate sausages (not affiliated, just tried them and love!)
Shabbos Friday night seudah:
Small sip of wine (no grape juice)
Half a whole wheat matzah (you eat less and are better able to portion). Unless you're Sephardic, then eat a small roll
Rather no dips, but if need be, some tahini, tomato dip (no mayo), schug, or guacamole.
Small piece of salmon (nothing sweet)
Chicken soup with veggies
Chicken/meat
Grilled veggies
Cabbage and cauliflower kugel is a great sub for potato kugel (saute onions and cabbage, mix with mashed or ground cauliflower, add eggs and season with salt and pepper and a little garlic and bake uncovered.)
If you need dessert, try a sugar free tofutti pop.

Shabbos breakfast:
Greek yogurt cheese snack (or Just a yogurt)
If you need mezonos, eat an oatmeal cookie made without added sugar

Shabbos lunch seudah:
Half matzah (same as last night)
Salmon or herring without added sugar
Eggs and/or liver (use sliced cucumbers or peppers instead of crackers)
Turkey deli (or any non processed meat)
Or grilled chicken
Meat from chulent (for something hot)
Salad and/or grilled veggies

Snack: fruit and nuts (green apple, cherries, strawberries - stay away from tropical fruit because they tend to be high in natural sugars)

Seudah shlishit;
Half matzah
Tuna/lox/tomatoes/lettuce/veggies

Melava malka:
Quesadilla made,from high fiber wraps
Or cucumber wrapped sushi
Or frittata
Or spaghetti squash with marinara and cheese
Or fleishig shabbos leftovers

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 3:14 am
I don't think this has been said yet - a trick to staying full - make sure you are eating enough healthy fats - add avocado, olives, olive oil, tehini, nuts to my salads. friday I usually have salads and eggs and salads and tuna. cottage cheese is probably another good protein option. shabbat day I like to do salad(s), grilled chicken, and assorted roasted veggies. can be eaten salad bar style or in courses. you can also do salmon. you can add eggs, nuts/seeds, olives, beets/sweet potatoes if that's not to starchy. don't do sugary dressings- not worth the carb. you can do tehini and or olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper. if you want other side dishes you can make a kugel/crustless quiche with eggs, veggies, spices and some no-sugar added soy or almond milk. if you are eating starchy vegetables roasted butternut squash is another good side - I cut in half, roast with olive oil and cinnamon/nutmeg - and mashed sweet potatoes. Also any other savory vegetable dish - popcorn cauliflower (don't use sugar), zuchinni stick http://overtimecook.com/2012/0.....cks/.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 3:15 am
you can also do chicken and veggies fri nigh (plus chicken soup) or meatballs and cauliflower rice (use a low- carb recipe - no sweet sauce, no binders in meatballs)

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 3:25 am
I make this almost every other week for Friday night
https://www.haaretz.com/food/e.....00080

I also roast every vegetable imaginable.
Fresh salad at every meal.

We like this kugel alternative
https://www.joyofkosher.com/re.....role/

Grilled chicken for Shabbat lunch - can even be eaten at room temp

cbg

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 7:55 am
[quote="booboomom"]The trick is to make sure to eat something every few hours./quote]

No, no, no, please do some research
Eating every few hours will only spike glucose and then spike insulin over and over making the situation worse.

How low carb do you want to go?
Ketogenic low carb?
When you eliminate carbs you need to substitute it with another energy source, I.e. fats, but it all depends on how low carb you go.

Please do your research on insulin resistance, if you really want to solve your PCOS.

cbg

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:25 am
As far as a Friday and Shabbat Meal Plan
This is what I do
I try to keep a ketogenic lifestyle

In the am I have a large cup of hot water

Breakfast
2 TBSP butter
Coffee
Blend together

I prepare my water bottle and sip on it all day
70oz water with ice
2 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1 tsp magnesium
1 tsp Potassium

1st meal whenever I’m hungry
3-4 egg yolks scrambled in lots of butter
1/2 avocado

-or-
Tuna and egg salad with lots of homemade mayo
Small salad

-or-
Cheese crisps- melted cheese made crunchy in the microwave with homemade guacamole.

Basically the fattiest protein available, extra fat, low carb veg.

2nd meal, FRIDAY, IF IM HUNGRY
the same as above
OR a piece of salmon, dark chicken with skin, steak, flanken, any fatty protein, olive oil or mayo for dipping and a portion of Shabbat veg.

Shabbat Dinner
Pesto salmon or Sesame mustard salmon
with homemade mayo or spicy mayo (hot sauce).

Salads: I eat a little bit, make it more for guests
Green
Israelí
Grilled eggplant
Roasted mini peppers
Kohl Rabí
Heart of palm
Avocado
Guacamole
Babaganush

If you let me know which salads you like I can help you find a low carb alternativa

Main
Roast, flanken, OR a fatty nice piece of beef, lamb or veal
2 low carb veg
roasted sesame broccoli
roasted cauliflower with zaatar
creamed spinach
string beans with roasted garlic
kugel cauliflower, broccoli, spinach,
cabbage

If I have guests I’ll make rice just for them or a few roasted potatoes

Dessert
There are 3 go to desserts I make, but you can google and get recipes
Between carpool Pesach blondies
Cooking with Tantrums coconut milk mousse
Chia Pudding
You can also make fat bombs
I substitute the sugar for stevia. It works well in these 3 recipes.
For the chocolate chips I chunk up UNSWEETENED baking chocolate (very bitter)
I don’t usually eat dessert but sometimes you need a little something, Shabbat afternoon.

Shabbat lunch is the same as dinner.
I try to mix and match from above.

You’ll find that once you get use to eating
Fatty protein, extra fat, low carb veg that your appetite gets smaller and you don’t crave sweets

If you let me know Foods you can’t be without, I can try to help you adjust them to fit a low carb lifestyle.

llolly

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:37 am
saw50st8 wrote:
We make this cauliflower not potato kugel all the time for shabbat. My kids love it!

http://www.gininthekitchen.com.....ides/

Does the riced cauliflower need to be cooked first or defrosted? Or can I just use it still frozen?

egam

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:42 am
booboomom wrote:
The trick is to make sure to eat something every few hours.
Breakfast - scrambled eggs or a veggie omelet, with one slice of low carb toast, if needed.
Snack: Greek yogurt - plain, whole milk, if available. At a couple of strawberries or blueberries, and some crushed nuts for crunch if desired.
Lunch: pizza made on one of those high fiber, low cal wraps. Or tuna and peppers, pickles or cucumbers.
Snack: apples and string cheese or nut butter. Or canteloupe and cottage cheese. Or a frozen Greek yogurt bar.
If the meal is late, eat a few nuts or jerky right before shabbos. Or try a&h new no nitrate sausages (not affiliated, just tried them and love!)
Shabbos Friday night seudah:
Small sip of wine (no grape juice)
Half a whole wheat matzah (you eat less and are better able to portion). Unless you're Sephardic, then eat a small roll
Rather no dips, but if need be, some tahini, tomato dip (no mayo), schug, or guacamole.
Small piece of salmon (nothing sweet)
Chicken soup with veggies
Chicken/meat
Grilled veggies
Cabbage and cauliflower kugel is a great sub for potato kugel (saute onions and cabbage, mix with mashed or ground cauliflower, add eggs and season with salt and pepper and a little garlic and bake uncovered.)
If you need dessert, try a sugar free tofutti pop.

Shabbos breakfast:
Greek yogurt cheese snack (or Just a yogurt)
If you need mezonos, eat an oatmeal cookie made without added sugar

Shabbos lunch seudah:
Half matzah (same as last night)
Salmon or herring without added sugar
Eggs and/or liver (use sliced cucumbers or peppers instead of crackers)
Turkey deli (or any non processed meat)
Or grilled chicken
Meat from chulent (for something hot)
Salad and/or grilled veggies

Snack: fruit and nuts (green apple, cherries, strawberries - stay away from tropical fruit because they tend to be high in natural sugars)

Seudah shlishit;
Half matzah
Tuna/lox/tomatoes/lettuce/veggies

Melava malka:
Quesadilla made,from high fiber wraps
Or cucumber wrapped sushi
Or frittata
Or spaghetti squash with marinara and cheese
Or fleishig shabbos leftovers

Many of the suggestions are very high on carbs, btw. They might be low fat, but carbs galore.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:46 am
Roast a sheetpan of green beans as soon as you get home so you have something on the counter to munch on. 8 min at 400 degrees. Also make a chopped broccoli kugel with egg whites and seasoning.

Make sure to eat a good filling lunch as usual, on time.

And eat some of the shabbos main course at the time you usually eat dinner like 6, even if and especially if shabbos comes in after 8pm.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

egam

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:47 am
cbg wrote:
As far as a Friday and Shabbat Meal Plan
This is what I do
I try to keep a ketogenic lifestyle

In the am I have a large cup of hot water

Breakfast
2 TBSP butter
Coffee
Blend together

I prepare my water bottle and sip on it all day
70oz water with ice
2 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1 tsp magnesium
1 tsp Potassium

1st meal whenever I’m hungry
3-4 egg yolks scrambled in lots of butter
1/2 avocado

-or-
Tuna and egg salad with lots of homemade mayo
Small salad

-or-
Cheese crisps- melted cheese made crunchy in the microwave with homemade guacamole.

Basically the fattiest protein available, extra fat, low carb veg.

2nd meal, FRIDAY, IF IM HUNGRY
the same as above
OR a piece of salmon, dark chicken with skin, steak, flanken, any fatty protein, olive oil or mayo for dipping and a portion of Shabbat veg.

Shabbat Dinner
Pesto salmon or Sesame mustard salmon
with homemade mayo or spicy mayo (hot sauce).

Salads: I eat a little bit, make it more for guests
Green
Israelí
Grilled eggplant
Roasted mini peppers
Kohl Rabí
Heart of palm
Avocado
Guacamole
Babaganush

If you let me know which salads you like I can help you find a low carb alternativa

Main
Roast, flanken, OR a fatty nice piece of beef, lamb or veal
2 low carb veg
roasted sesame broccoli
roasted cauliflower with zaatar
creamed spinach
string beans with roasted garlic
kugel cauliflower, broccoli, spinach,
cabbage

If I have guests I’ll make rice just for them or a few roasted potatoes

Dessert
There are 3 go to desserts I make, but you can google and get recipes
Between carpool Pesach blondies
Cooking with Tantrums coconut milk mousse
Chia Pudding
You can also make fat bombs
I substitute the sugar for stevia. It works well in these 3 recipes.
For the chocolate chips I chunk up UNSWEETENED baking chocolate (very bitter)
I don’t usually eat dessert but sometimes you need a little something, Shabbat afternoon.

Shabbat lunch is the same as dinner.
I try to mix and match from above.

You’ll find that once you get use to eating
Fatty protein, extra fat, low carb veg that your appetite gets smaller and you don’t crave sweets

If you let me know Foods you can’t be without, I can try to help you adjust them to fit a low carb lifestyle.

Those are all good suggestions. For desserts, I prefer Swerve sugar substitute. It’s interchangeable in recipes 1:1 and does not have an aftertaste that usually comes with other sugar substitutes. Also 85% Shcmerlings chocolate officially has 0 net carbs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise