Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is a keratin treatment dangerous?

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 8:24 pm
Dd has been begging and pleading for a keratin treatment on her hair. I understand why she wants it. I had horrible hair as a teenager and it definitely affected my social status and confidence. But when I pass by the salons and see everyone wearing face masks as they work I wonder and worry. Has anyone done real research on these treatments? I do know someone who asked an oncologist what he thought of them. He said that he’s heard that they are much safer today but he would not allow his kids to get them. I really don’t know what to do.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 8:34 pm
I get it. They have formaldehyde free brands but I don’t use them. There are so many other unhealthy things in this world that she is exposed to I don’t see this as a valid reason. It’s effecting her self esteem which is unhealthy too.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 3:41 am
OP do you ever use aluminum pans
Do you ever use plastic
Do you use a microwave
Do you only eat raw vegan organic

I think it’s ok. It’s not something done everyday
The above things are more dangerous and are done every day by most of.

happyone

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 3:45 am
I let my daughter do it. It's not every day. go ahead let her feel good about herself.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:42 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Do you ever use plastic
Do you use a microwave

Um, what? Based on what do you say that the above things are more dangerous than formaldehyde on the head?

I would personally find a salon that uses the non formaldehyde keratin. Look up the brand names on Google so you'll know what to ask for. They don't last as long but that's my comfort level.

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:44 pm
Thank you for the replies. For those that have used the formulas with and without formaldehyde what is the major difference?

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:35 pm
Even the formulas that have no formaldehyde (HCHO) in the bottle have compounds that can becconverted to formaldehyde when heated. Since the process involves both blow drying and extensive flat-ironing, there is plenty of scope for exposure.

The stylist is usually the one most at risk, simply because his or her face is smack in the zone where the stuff is given off. (And because a stylist may do this every day while a client has it done maybe every few months, tops.) The client is facing away for the most part. Still, there is exposure, more or less depending on many factors such as direction of air flow in the salon and how much product is applied. Longer, thicker, curlier hair requires more product and thus involves more exposure.

HCHO is a carcinogen, and it’s a sensitizer. This means that over time you can develop a reaction to even minuscule concentrations of it. Symptoms include skin rashes, itching, eye irritation, and, more disturbing, difficulty breathing. I’ve met stylists who had to change jobs because they’d been sensitized and can’t breathe if someone is doing this treatment in the same room.

Keratin hair straighteners are banned in many European countries and should be banned here. There is NO WAY I would allow a child to have this done, and if my adult child were considering it, I would argue long, loud and hard against it. Put it this way: unless you’re OK with your child trying a cigarette, you shouldn’t be ok with her getting this treatment.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 5:47 pm
Zaq, there are newer products that neither contain formaldehyde nor any chemicals that are converted in the treatment process. That's what I was referring to. They are truly formaldehyde free at all stages.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 7:07 pm
Hi. I just want to add that I did the keratin treatment as a girl and it is not as wow as it sounds to be. For someone like me whose hair grows really fast within a month all the new hair that grew in at scalp was curly. So after two months was half and half straight. Also it Co.pletely changed the texture of the new hair to grow in hard and brittle...

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 4:51 am
I used to work for an environmental health firm and measured formaldehyde exposures in salons using many different brands of keratin. The ones with formaldehyde are the worst but we’ve found measurable levels even when the formula used claimed to be formaldehyde free. In one case we found significant exposure while the stylist was applying a supposedly formaldehyde free product before applying any heat all. Manufacturers lie and these products are unsafe at any speed. In the benighted 18th century people poisoned themselves using white lead makeup to have a fashionably pale complexion. In the supposedly enlightened 21st century people poison themselves to have fashionably straight hair. Amazing how much progress we’ve made.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:15 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Um, what? Based on what do you say that the above things are more dangerous than formaldehyde on the head?

I would personally find a salon that uses the non formaldehyde keratin. Look up the brand names on Google so you'll know what to ask for. They don't last as long but that's my comfort level.

Yes but these things are done EVERYDAY, and the toxins build up.
My point is if your not such a naturalist that you don’t do these every day things, then I wouldn’t worry about the formaldehyde for 30 min and then washed off.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:31 am
Do you ever use plastic
Do you use a microwave

Eating only raw vegan organic is dangerous, but it is not done by most of the population.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:37 am
My point is if your not such a naturalist that you don’t do these every day things, then I wouldn’t worry about the formaldehyde for 30 min and then washed off.

Not all toxins build up in a healthy person. The human body cleans itself out.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:47 am
And to think that my mom tortured me with toxic perms in the 80's, because she hated my straight hair! Then everyone told me I looked like a poodle. Confused

Harsh chemicals will only make her hair get split ends and break off, and then she'll have to cut it short to get the straight part off. It will look really weird when it grows out.

I would compromise with DD and tell her that you will get her a Brazilian blow-out for special occasions, and ask a stylist what is the best way to manage curly hair.

There are some really good blogs out there about "curly girl style" that has some great styling tips and tricks. Print out some pictures she likes, and take them with you to the salon.

If her hair is tightly curled, you can take her to a salon for African American women. Those ladies know EVERYTHING! They will give you the best advice, and the best products to buy for maintaining the style she wants.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:50 am

And my point is that you don't actually know what's worse, so why are you making definitive statements?

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:11 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
And to think that my mom tortured me with toxic perms in the 80's, because she hated my straight hair! Then everyone told me I looked like a poodle. Confused

Harsh chemicals will only make her hair get split ends and break off, and then she'll have to cut it short to get the straight part off. It will look really weird when it grows out.

I would compromise with DD and tell her that you will get her a Brazilian blow-out for special occasions, and ask a stylist what is the best way to manage curly hair.

There are some really good blogs out there about "curly girl style" that has some great styling tips and tricks. Print out some pictures she likes, and take them with you to the salon.

If her hair is tightly curled, you can take her to a salon for African American women. Those ladies know EVERYTHING! They will give you the best advice, and the best products to buy for maintaining the style she wants.

She doesn’t have curly hair. She has straightish hair with random frizz and some random curlyish spots. I feel for her. But all these posts are really scaring me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:20 am
If she doesn't have full on curly hair, this treatment is probably way too intense for her hair in any case. Can't she try some anti frizz serum? There are so many products on the market.. I think it's what a lot of AA women do to get that ultra sleek style. I've read that this is the treatment that Meghan Markle gets.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 11:24 am
ttbtbm wrote:
She doesn’t have curly hair. She has straightish hair with random frizz and some random curlyish spots. I feel for her. But all these posts are really scaring me.

I hear you. I have very straight hair, but my gray hair is coming in curly! Having mixed texture is no fun at all. I find that using a curling iron to smooth out the cuticle, and to polish the ends makes a huge difference.

(I style my hair just to amuse myself, since I cover when I leave the house.)

I still think a salon is your best bet for finding a less damaging technique and products to help her control the frizz.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:04 pm
ttbtbm wrote:

A good blowout could work. Get someone to teach her and buy the tools. It can last about 3 days.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 5:29 pm
I agree with zaq and FF. I would not do these treatments on my kid but I would definitely spend money on an excellent stylist who can do a great cut and teach her how to style it at home. Also if she's not all the way through puberty yet, your daughter's hair could still change a lot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics