Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can someone help me understand this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:00 pm
Looking for some clarification, from moms/ teachers who have some insight.

What does it mean if a child's ELA achievement scores do not match their report card scores?

My ds's 2nd grade report card was not impressive to say the least, with most grades indicating that he is below average, not quite at grade level. The teachers' feedback has always been similar. He struggles to understand, doesn't always follow, etc.

Behavior has never been an issue, just some sense that he feels frustration because of not following the lessons easily. This never sat well with me, because at home, I NEVER saw this. He's not a particularly motivated kid, but any time I explained a concept to him, in math let's say, he has no trouble following it and acquiring it.

Then I get the ELA results, and his scores are predominantly in the 95% in most of the areas, with the graph showing his scores being way above the national average, and giving me grade equivalencies of 4th and 5th grade.

I'm just trying to understand how to assess and address this mismatch.

Thank you!

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:09 pm
Is it possible that he struggles with auditory processing, which would be much more apparent in a classroom with many distractions than in a one on one situation? His ELA score doesn't indicate general learning abilities. How were his ELA scores on the report card?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:31 pm
Diagnosis: ineffective teachers and outdated teaching methodologies. At least that's been our experience. We have the same thing going on with our kids.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:17 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Is it possible that he struggles with auditory processing, which would be much more apparent in a classroom with many distractions than in a one on one situation? His ELA score doesn't indicate general learning abilities. How were his ELA scores on the report card?

Very interesting, I would look into this (how do I do that?). I didn't see a section on the report card for ela scores, just got a separate report, with all the raphs, etc.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:19 pm
I would think poor teacher/student personality match or auditory processing

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:22 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Diagnosis: ineffective teachers and outdated teaching methodologies. At least that's been our experience. We have the same thing going on with our kids.

I have to admit to feeling this way, although struggling not to! But now there are two things that are not jiving with the teacher reports (the standardized scores, and my own knowledge of ds as a bright and capable kid).

How indicative are the ela's, if anybody knows? There are so many sections, and they seem to address a broad range of skills pretty comprehensively. I have to assume there is validity to the results.... I suppose I will see what a change in teachers brings this year?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:23 pm
How did he do in 1st grade? If there were drastic changes from one year to the next I agree its likely a bad shidduch with the teacher.

If he has always had academic challenges then I would look into doing a full evaluation with a neuropsycholgist. In many schools, 3rd grade has much higher academic and social expectations. For boys who are starting mishnayos the curriculum changes a lot and gets more challenging. If he feels like he cant keep up his self esteem will take a big hit.

Last edited by mha3484 on Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:24 pm
I have a child with difficulty processing in multi-sensory environments so he doesn't always get what's happening around him because he gets overwhelmed and shuts down

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 3:34 pm
First and foremost, what assessment was given? Was it your state's standardized exam? If not, then it's not necessarily a reliable or relevant predictor of your son's ELA achievement.

Case in point... In NYS, many schools opt out of grades 3-8 state exams and instead give other standardized exams, like the Iowa Assessments for example. One of my kids who just finished 8th has been getting top marks in math for years on those tests. He was however, until very recently, extraordinarily deficient in multiple areas of grade level math aligned to NYS standards and necessary to do well on the Regents. Why? Because the instruction going on in the school was aligned to a different set of standards than the assessment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics