Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Kids in cars (vent)
Previous  1  2  3

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 1:11 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Am I the only one that thought this would be a vent abt taking long car rides with kids ...?

No, you're not the only one. That's the first thing that came to my mind. Smile

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 1:23 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
No, you're not the only one. That's the first thing that came to my mind. Smile

Me too. First thought at the title was remembering playing peek-a-boo for like 2 hours straight with my nephew on the way back from Niagara last summer.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:19 pm
Yes please get off your soap box. People don't forget kids in their cars because they have too many kids. They forget them because it was gods will and usually because there was a change in routine. It can happen to an only child and it can happen to one of 20. It does not happen more frequently in the frum world. And women deciding do it all for what they perceive as the best gift, supporting their husband in learning, is none of your business. If it's not for you, great! Let others make their own life choices. And please please please don't think you're better than anyone else for not having left your kid in a car by accident, perhaps because you decided to have less kids. You are not better than them, just luckier that it didn't happen to you, and I pray you never learn that truth the hard way.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 2:32 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I'm very sensitive right now and based on the comments, I'm not sure I can read this article. Can someone summarize it?

It's not for the faint of heart.

It's a beautifully researched article about people leaving their kids in cars.

The conclusion: it can happen to anyone.

It most often happens when something changes in the routine. Ex: usually the other parent drops off the baby, usually the car seat is visible behind the passenger seat, usually the baby is at a babysitter when you go shopping, etc.

Why does your mind follow routine and forget the baby? We're programmed to put unimportant functions on autopilot, and our mental autopilot overrides conscious thought. So if you're doing something routine, like driving to work, you need blatant, unusual reminders that something is different today, in order to remember that difference. This routine override system can even make you forget your baby, so it's important to have multiple safety checks and reminders in place.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 4:22 pm
Rappel wrote:
It's not for the faint of heart.

It's a beautifully researched article about people leaving their kids in cars.

The conclusion: it can happen to anyone.

It most often happens when something changes in the routine. Ex: usually the other parent drops off the baby, usually the car seat is visible behind the passenger seat, usually the baby is at a babysitter when you go shopping, etc.

Why does your mind follow routine and forget the baby? We're programmed to put unimportant functions on autopilot, and our mental autopilot overrides conscious thought. So if you're doing something routine, like driving to work, you need blatant, unusual reminders that something is different today, in order to remember that difference. This routine override system can even make you forget your baby, so it's important to have multiple safety checks and reminders in place.

Thank you. I appreciate the time you took to summarize it for me. Hashem should protect us all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics