Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
No throwing away pictures- any basis??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:25 pm
Growing up, my family had a "custom" not to throw away any pictures of any of us. Does anyone know if there is any kind of basis in halacha, kabbala... to support this, or is it just some sort of superstition? (Asking now because I have a whole bunch of torn/awful pics that I want to get rid of!)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:28 pm
Never heard of any such custom.

I've heard the opposite - of those who believe that a picture is like making a graven image. My mother A"H used to say that she had a distant relative who wanted a picture she had of her great-great-grandfather, in order to destroy it, because he believed that its existence gives him no rest in the afterlife.....

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:31 pm
I have family members like this. I think it's more of a superstition, and probably a holdover from the days when getting your picture taken was a huge deal and you only had a few. I think you are okay to get rid of the torn awful pictures. If you want to be super safe, you can maybe double wrap them and put them in the recycling (which is what I was told to do when throwing out pictures of gedolim in pamphlets or magazines)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:33 pm
Once upon a time pictures were expensive and were easily ruined thus rendering them a precious commodity.
Remember when we were warned not to touch the pictures, rather handle them by the edge or very corner.
My great grandfather was a photographer. We had boxes and boxes of pictures of young men. They wanted a picture to send home before being deployed in the 40's. I hope someone went through those to find the family pictures and tossed the rest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics